It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Ball Bearing CRD turbo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:17 am 
LOST Addict

I swear I read somewhere that you had measured the stock turbine and compressor wheels. Do you have the the inducer and exducer diameters for both wheels?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

Compressor
Wheel Inducer: 39.55mm
Wheel Exducer: 56mm (49 Trim)

Turbine
Wheel Inducer: 47mm
Wheel Exducer: 42.7mm

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:12 pm 
LOST Addict

diesel_guy86 wrote:
Compressor
Wheel Inducer: 39.55mm
Wheel Exducer: 56mm (49 Trim)

Turbine
Wheel Inducer: 47mm
Wheel Exducer: 42.7mm

So then our compressor probably has a little better surge resistance than the GT2056 from Garretts website then?

Thats what other compressor maps seem to show, same A/R but lower Trim shifts the surge line to the left. Based on the stamp on our housings it looks like its a .53 A/R as well.

I've been wondering why my MAF flows/PR's were to the left of the surge line on that map but didnt seem to actually be surging. Our turbo must do better at low flow, high PR's.

Do you think surge will be an issue with the new bearings on your center housing? I would imagine we are somewhat close as it is, but if this turbo gets up to speed much faster then we could easily cross that line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:32 am 
LOST Junkie

What's the status on this project?

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

Moving along slowly, not only because im in the middle of my busy season, but the high accuracy of things means that even when we are working on it, its slow progress.

Packing oil supply and drain channels, compressor bleed air to cool the rear bearing, alongside water cooling channels isnt easy either. Most of the problem here is getting what i have designed in my head onto a piece of paper that another guy can understand, and onto a computer screen that matches my idea.

This would have been done a long time ago if i didnt have my own business to run, so i apologize if its taking longer than i had originally thought. I have almost $5K into this so far and nothing to even hold yet :shock:

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:13 am 
LOST Junkie

No apologies needed my man. I've retired to the forum after a bit of a leave and your post was one of the first ive read. I'm in colorado, a better turbo would be awesome here at altitude. I'm also doing a ground up rebuild on my engine due to a cracked cylinder wall. If ya need a high altitude tester I'm in and everything is going to be clean as day one. My friend has a ultrasonic cleaning bath all my parts are going into.

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry to dredge this up from the depths...but didn't see any conclusion to this project...

For background.... I'm working on putting a GTA2056V from an 05 Liberty on my VW TDI....lol. Read some horror stories about oiling issues so I'm trying to address those before I get too carried away...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:14 am 
LOST Member

To help raise the boost, step it up to a 3 in mandrel bent exhaust. With the one diamond eye made for me if you stay on the throttle too long the boost starts to creep up and eventually pops a cel for over boost. So I swapped the exhaust from dads Jeep to mine to test the theory and yep it did the same thing on mine... so it’s just like on the tdi’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:59 pm 

My66dodge wrote:
To help raise the boost, step it up to a 3 in mandrel bent exhaust. With the one diamond eye made for me if you stay on the throttle too long the boost starts to creep up and eventually pops a cel for over boost. So I swapped the exhaust from dads Jeep to mine to test the theory and yep it did the same thing on mine... so it’s just like on the tdi’s

Don't really understand why we get the overboost code at higher boost levels. I have the same problem with mine if I crank up the Power Puck and get up into the 30+ boost levels on hard accelerations. I have a complete 2.5" exhaust with no CAT, no choke point, and straight through turbo muffler so back pressure is not an issue.

The MAP sensor we use either the OEM or the GM both should read boost levels up to about 43 psig before it hits the top of it's range.
I get an overboost limp mode around 35 psig.
OEM = 0 281 002 437 3 bar (20 kPa @ 0.4V , 300 kPa @ 4.65V) 300 kPa = 43.5113 psig
GM = 0 281 002 845 3 bar (11 kPa @ 0.25V , 307 kPa @ 4.75V) 307 kPa = 44.5266 psig

Only explanation I have is the upper boost level limit for putting the engine in Limp Mode is a number coded in the software so going to a different scale MAP sensor would be of no value. :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Ball Bearing CRD turbo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:43 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
My66dodge wrote:

Don't really understand why we get the overboost code at higher boost levels. I have the same problem with mine if I crank up the Power Puck and get up into the 30+ boost levels on hard accelerations. I have a complete 2.5" exhaust with no CAT, no choke point, and straight through turbo muffler so back pressure is not an issue.

The MAP sensor we use either the OEM or the GM both should read boost levels up to about 43 psig before it hits the top of it's range.
I get an overboost limp mode around 35 psig.
OEM = 0 281 002 437 3 bar (20 kPa @ 0.4V , 300 kPa @ 4.65V) 300 kPa = 43.5113 psig
GM = 0 281 002 845 3 bar (11 kPa @ 0.25V , 307 kPa @ 4.75V) 307 kPa = 44.5266 psig

Only explanation I have is the upper boost level limit for putting the engine in Limp Mode is a number coded in the software so going to a different scale MAP sensor would be of no value. :banghead:

They can only read 43.5 psia/~29 psig.

There is a 4 Bar map option in the tech section. I ran it for 2-3 years. I would not run it with a power puck or other spoofer since the power puck is programmed to assume it connected to a 3 bar map.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:28 am 

mass-hole wrote:
They can only read 43.5 psia/~29 psig.
There is a 4 Bar map option in the tech section. I ran it for 2-3 years. I would not run it with a power puck or other spoofer since the power puck is programmed to assume it connected to a 3 bar map.

Thanks, you are correct, I didn't notice the "a" for "absolute". :banghead:
That explains it.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:55 am 
LOST Newbie

I know this is a really old post but is there a completed ball bearing turbo on the market yet? I am looking at my 3rd turbo.......don't want to keep doing this!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6