It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are those $350 Ebay Turbos any good?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm thinking of replacing my turbo as a preventative maintenance item. I have 157k on mine and am worried it will blow one day on my commute to work.

Anybody have luck with a non-OEM turbo? If so, who has the most miles on one? I'm expecting to own the CRD for another 50k miles or so and don't want to spend $1,200 for OEM if I can help it.

Thanks!
Drew

Post subject: Re: Are those $350 Ebay Turbos any good?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No and turbo replacement is not preventive maintenance. Check turbo shaft play if ok then routine air filter changes: ck for rotted air box to turbo hose fix as needed; proper oil type/weight/change interval with quality oil filter; and follow recommended turbo cool down instructions and OEM turbo will last for years.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I bought my libby with a chinese crap knock off. I ripped that thing out of it as fast as i could. Its stressful as it is worrying about a valve dropping. Performance wise they work the same i think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:00 pm 
LOST Addict

I've got 180k miles on my factory original turbo. Still going strong with no problems.

Run good oil and dont forget turbo cool down time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Moderator, can you please clean this thread up? I'm only looking for responses to my original question from those who have a Chinese turbo on their Liberty.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:51 am 
LOST Member

I would be a lot more comfortable with an original 157K turbo than a brand new Chinese one. I think you're more likely to be on the side of the road if you change it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Just to add my two pence worth, instead of a Chinese rebuilt unit, which can be stack em high and sell em cheap, why not try a reputable rebuilt unit?
Here in the uk, I have seen plenty of rebuilt units fitted and covering many thousands of miles without any grief.
My own crd is running a rebuilt unit that wasn't any deal dearer than the Chinese ones, and it's been great!
I know they say these units cannot be rebuilt, but many owners can't be wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:48 am 
LOST Junkie

Drewd wrote:
Moderator, can you please clean this thread up? I'm only looking for responses to my original question from those who have a Chinese turbo on their Liberty.

Thanks!

Wow, you ask for help and then when it's not what you want to hear you want comments deleted?

Chinese turbos are junk. Why gamble with a 5k plus engine just to save $500 or so

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I bought a Stigan at Turbo Charger Pros .com for about 600. It had a 2 YEAR warranty VS the 1 year of the Garrett. They are located in California. I will assume this turbo was manufactured in China, but with aa 2 year Warranty and no core return or charge, I figured I'd give one a try. The unit was a new, not a rebuilt one. Almost year and over 15K miles - no problems. The vane actuator was adjusted spot on and boost comes up much quicker than the old one. (AGE, I am sure) It is more than the 350 you mentioned, but still half of a Garrett. I am not saying they are the same quality as the OEM unit or knocking the original. At the time, it was what I could afford. (I got hit with 15 things at once around the house) I will say, so far it has been a good buy. I figured if it fails in 18 months, I will just claim it on the warranty. You must install a new oil feed line at the same time for the warranty. No big deal. I did not buy an EBAY turbo because I had read that they would not last. I hope this helps. Not exactly turbo you were talking about, but still half price. The link to their site is below. I did not see the 2 year warranty model listed anymore :shock: (not good) and they seem to be more expensive. I did not look very hard though.

http://www.turbochargerpros.com/ourproducts.html

Full Stainless Steel 3" Custom Exhaust, Gauges- (pillar) EGT, Boost, (overhead) Water temp, Trans temp, Oil pressure, ARP Studs, rocker and cam @ 139K, GDE tune,
Purchased 2/2014 w/97k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry, double post

Full Stainless Steel 3" Custom Exhaust, Gauges- (pillar) EGT, Boost, (overhead) Water temp, Trans temp, Oil pressure, ARP Studs, rocker and cam @ 139K, GDE tune,
Purchased 2/2014 w/97k