It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil smoke after warm up.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've noticed a considerable amount of blue oil smoke after my crd reaches full operating temp. I thought it was the turbo leaking oil into the exhaust but I replaced it and the symptom did not change. I've heard somewhere that excessive manifold pressure can cause smoking. The weird thing is, I can park the car for a couple minutes and restart it with no smoke. But then after a couple minutes driving the smoke returns. Could pressure be building somewhere that bleeds off when the engine is not running?

2005 Liberty. 138k miles

Post subject: Re: Oil smoke after warm up.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Is all the smoke coming out the tailpipe?
Are you sure its oil smoke?
Are you noticing a significant loss of engine oil or any other fluids?

The #1 cause of oil burning in the exhaust is from the turbo.
Some oil gets drawn into the intake by way of the crackcase vent but not enough to produce smoke.

A blown head gasket or cracked head can produce large plumes of white smoke out the exhaust and you will notice a significant loss of coolant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes out of the tailpipe only. Im sure its oil. Not coolant. I can stop and let it idle and go behind the car and smell the oil. But shut it off for a couple minutes and then restart with no smoke. Head gasket would be constant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Where did you get your new turbo from?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:51 am 
LOST Addict

Another possibility is a leaking rear axle pinion seal, slinging gear oil onto the tailpipe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Not coming from the pinion seal. I have lift and this Jeep has been in the air allot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:00 am 
LOST Addict

How many miles does it have on it, and how does it start in cold weather (how cold)? Will it start when it's 20 degrees out?

I had one with poor compression and high miles, and it wouldn't start below 25.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:12 am 
LOST Newbie

138K. Im in Georgia, so we don't get to 20 degrees very often. But normal cold starts seem to be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:15 am 
LOST Addict

agood1 wrote:
Not coming from the pinion seal. I have lift and this Jeep has been in the air allot.

Again, where did you get your turbo from?
Is it factory NEW?
A rebuild?
Hopefully its not a cheap one from China :shock: .

Last edited by flash7210 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:17 am 
LOST Addict

I'd guess an injector is over-fueling. I'd do the injector test from the manual, although they are pretty smoky without a GDE tune anyhow. Any check engine lights?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am not sure where the turbo came from, It was replaced by a local shop. I can tell you that the new turbo made no difference in the smoke.....so if it is the turbo, they are both broken in the exact same place.

I don't see how an injector can cause OIL smoke. This is not diesel smoke. It is easy to tell the difference by the smell.

There is NO CEL, and no stored codes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Any considerable oil consumption?

Does it smoke more as you increase the load?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, there are three possibilities:

1. The turbo has bad seals and/or bearings, allowing oil to leak into the exhaust.
2. Excessive oil is getting spit out the crankcase vent and getting fed into the intake and burning during combustion.
3. The head is damaged in some way and allowing oil to leak into the exhaust.

You can try doing the elephant hose mod (EHM) and just let let the crankcase vent onto the ground. But it will take some time for the oil in the intake to go away. You can remove the boost hoses and clean them. I would also remove the intercooler and clean it. If the intercooler is full of oil then that may be the problem.

Edit:
I guess it could be bad valve guide seals. But at that point your taking the head off and sending it off to a machine shop for inspection and repair.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

All reasonable suggestions. However, none of them would explain why it only smokes once it gets hot....and stops smoking if I shut the engine down for a few minutes and restart.....The oil in the intercooler is the only thing that makes any sense.....maybe it takes a while for it to get hot and get pushed into the intake....and when I shut the engine off...it cools down quickly and stops flowing until get gets hot again......Hhmmm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:25 pm 
LOST Addict

agood1 wrote:
All reasonable suggestions. However, none of them would explain why it only smokes once it gets hot....and stops smoking if I shut the engine down for a few minutes and restart.....The oil in the intercooler is the only thing that makes any sense.....maybe it takes a while for it to get hot and get pushed into the intake....and when I shut the engine off...it cools down quickly and stops flowing until get gets hot again......Hhmmm

Once you get it smoking, does it persist if you let it sit at an idle for a minute or two?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:13 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes, it will keep smoking at idle once it starts.....what about the oil drain back tube from the turbo? If it was partially clogged wouldn't it create this symptom when it backed up with oil?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:44 am 
LOST Addict

agood1 wrote:
Yes, it will keep smoking at idle once it starts.....what about the oil drain back tube from the turbo? If it was partially clogged wouldn't it create this symptom when it backed up with oil?

Seems unlikely because the drain tube is much larger than the feed line.
Even if that were the case, oil would be leaking past the seals in the turbo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Maybe, I finally took it to a local shop that works on diesels....I guess I'll spend some more $$$$$ on this thing. Ill post what they find.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

well if all the above checked out ok , then only suspects are valve guide seals and oil piston rings . need to know history MAINTENANCE and if vehicle was overheated before? example dusted engine do to bad air filter etc………..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Take the intake hose completely off of your turbo and inspect it for cracks and leaks. Specifically pay close attention to the area around the clamps on the turbo side.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings