It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grease your front bearings!
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I was reading on ram1500diesel forum that you can grease your front bearings by removing the abs sensor. Since I'm installing an ome lift on the crd, I said it's a great opportunity to check if this can be applied to the crd. It turns out that removing the abs sensor from the hub exposes the portion from in between the ball bearing rings in the bearing, allowing to grease the bearing. I do have relatively new skf hubs, but I still applied some generous amount of grease. This is recommended especially for folks that have good bearings that are not new. The main reason bearings fail is due to lack of grease or because water gets inside creating rust.

So just gently remove the abs sensor from the hub, prying it out bit by bit, apply few pumps of grease, spin the bearing few times and repeat till it is full of geease.

In the below pic you'll see some white Grease that's present still on my relatively new hub assembly.

Just be cautios, if you use a needle nose Grease chuck pull it out when turning the bearing as it will bite a bit on the abs metal ring that's inside of the bearing.

Then clean the abs sensor oring and insert it back gently by twisting it left-right. Once done, chances are that the bearing will outlast the jeep.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

Post subject: Re: Grease your front bearings!
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did this on my CRD but ended up breaking the abs sensor :furious:

But yes good idea.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:19 pm 
LOST Addict

cody.vandieren wrote:
I did this on my CRD but ended up breaking the abs sensor :furious:

But yes good idea.

Mine broke as well when I was installing my lift. I literally had to break them to get them out due to the corrosion. Luckly the pins still made contact with the part stuck in the hole so when I screwed them back onto the hub they worked. Occasionally if I hit a hard bump it will throw them off.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:42 am 
LOST Member

Wish this worked with mine.......but Im glad I dont have ABS.

But have done it on my wifes 06.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Many thanks for the post! I wonder if people without ABS could get away with carefully tapping and add a grease zerk? Maybe with a really good tiny magnet to pull out shavings, and then lots of brake cleaner? I doubt they make them to where you could disassemble a new one, and drill it easily?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

i dilled an tapped the wheel bearing a year ago and it still good I just did it in the opposite flat spot from the abs sensor and use grease on the drill bit and tap and go slow you will be fine it drill very easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Easiest is if you get abs well hubs and grease them when they are new. This is cheap insurance for a bearing that would outlast probably 2 Jeeps... But I can't see why tapping with grease (especially if you apply the grease when the drill bit almost reaches the other side) would not work. And especially if the bearings have some miles, the risk is minimum, even if a few small shavings get through, factoring the amount of grease you can put in the bearing, I don't think it would be an issue. The recommendation is to slow down with the pressure on the drill to minimize the volume of metal particles entering in the bearing.

And if jeep doesn't have abs and you get abs wheel hubs, then you can always go to a junk yard and snatched some abs sensors and sensor bolts to cover the holes. But the abs wheel hubs come with new sensors anyways, if I remember correctly.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
Easiest is if you get abs well hubs and grease them when they are new. This is cheap insurance for a bearing that would outlast probably 2 Jeeps... But I can't see why tapping with grease (especially if you apply the grease when the drill bit almost reaches the other side) would not work. And especially if the bearings have some miles, the risk is minimum, even if a few small shavings get through, factoring the amount of grease you can put in the bearing, I don't think it would be an issue. The recommendation is to slow down with the pressure on the drill to minimize the volume of metal particles entering in the bearing.

And if jeep doesn't have abs and you get abs wheel hubs, then you can always go to a junk yard and snatched some abs sensors and sensor bolts to cover the holes. But the abs wheel hubs come with new sensors anyways, if I remember correctly.

The ABS unit bearings for KJ's will come with new ABS sensors already installed.

Oh and by the way what you guys are doing actually does not grease the actual bearings unless you keep pumping grease in until it pushes past the seals then you got to much and will blow the seals out and the bearings will go bad anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Oh and by the way what you guys are doing actually does not grease the actual bearings unless you keep pumping grease in until it pushes past the seals then you got to much and will blow the seals out and the bearings will go bad anyways.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense!! :wink:
I was kinda wondering about how grease could get past the seals into a sealed hub bearings when I was reading the posts... :?:

FYI, If you have done this with an installed grease fitting, grease and a grease gun is a powerful hydraulic tool capable of producing 10,000 psig of hydraulic force and it can move bearings, seals and even bust cheap cast metal... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:14 am 
LOST Addict

So, what if instead of grease you poured 1-2 oz of gear oil down into the sensor hole?
That should actually flow into the bearings and provide good lubrication.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:43 am 
LOST Junkie

There's as cut away of a front bearing on dieselplace.com This method of bearing saving has also been discussed there.

Apparently the grease does reach the bearings.

From what I gather the seals are on the part that turns. The ABS is exposed to the grease. The Oring on the sensor seals the hole and keeps moisture out.

Pretty hard to over pressure with grease, with a needle greaser in an over sized hole.

I've never done it - to scared to touch my sensors. Every sensor I ever took out broke.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:
So, what if instead of grease you poured 1-2 oz of gear oil down into the sensor hole?
That should actually flow into the bearings and provide good lubrication.

Will dissolve the grease already in the bearings and the seals are designed to keep grease in not gear oil.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:14 pm 
LOST Addict

This is a JK hub. Pretty much the same as the liberty.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2 examples of common unit bearing designs.

What you don't see is the ABS tone ring is almost totally blocked from the bearings,without using pressure your not likely to actually get the grease where you want it to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Tj, I think you answered yourself that you can grease them, lol. Regarding seals, good luck poping them out. You'll get the grease exiting the abs hole rather than poping the seals. There may be a bit of grease exiting the seals, but I guarantee they won't pop out. If you wonder why the factory does not add so much grease, it's because on colder temperatures, you may experience some wheel pulsation when you turn. Plus the monetary factor, they need to sell more parts.