It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Torque converter
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:12 pm 
LOST Member

Finally after 5 years of ownership with the GDE FT tune my TC is starting to shudder. I am planning on a new TC in a month during my summer brake and it looks like Suncoast does not sell the CRD's TC anymore. I was looking on Rockauto and they have a TC for our libbys but there is not a lot of info on it other than it is a medium stall; does any one know about it or other converter options? I feel the euro TC is a bit overprice for the same thing we have with stronger springs.

Post subject: Re: Torque converter
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:09 am 
LOST Addict

You can try calling Suncoast to see if they still have the CRD TC.
IDparts might have the Euro TC.

Ideally what you want is a low stall TC.
A TC for a Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi is a low stall and will fit the CRD. A few here are using them and they seem to work well.
Try contacting Florida Torque Converter. They have stock replacement TCs and upgraded performance TCs.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:59 am 
LOST Member

Suncoast still makes converters for the Liberty CRD. I just ordered one.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:18 pm 
LOST Member

Dent wrote:
Suncoast still makes converters for the Liberty CRD. I just ordered one.

When did you ordered it? you called or is it an on-line store other than their web site?
I guess if I can't find a suncoast I will be trying the RAM 1500 hemi TC; I remember there was a good thread about it but can't find it now. Does any one have the link to it? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:04 am 
LOST Member

Some CRD's shudder because of a failing TC, a bad pump or failing TC control valves. Some CRD's shudder for other reasons (like mine). I had a stock 545RFE with the euro TC that shuddered when I loaded a performance tune. Shuddered with a Ram Hemi TCM (less, but still shuddered). Shuddered with a Florida TC billet TC (good for 500+ftlb torque) and I can still made it shudder with a late model 545RFE that worked perfectly attached to a HEMI. Now my shudder is limited to towing 3500lb trailer, using the RAM HEMI TCM.

So, I've been chasing a shudder issue. Sure, I can de-tune my engine and replace the Ram TCM with the F47 stock TCM, but I love the power now so I'm satisfied to leave it alone. Don't be surprised if the TC change alone does not fix the problem......it does for many and I hope it does for you.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:58 am 
LOST Addict

I too still have some light vibration, that I think is shudder with the upgraded pump and the Hemi TC. It's nothing like the terrible shudder I had with the stock TC, but it's still there, and I'm only running the GDE ECO tune. I'll probably just live with it since it's not enough to make me want to take my foot off the gas, I can accelerate right through it. If I ever need to drop the transmission for something I'll try something else.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

camo wrote:
When did you ordered it? you called or is it an on-line store other than their web site?
I guess if I can't find a suncoast I will be trying the RAM 1500 hemi TC; I remember there was a good thread about it but can't find it now. Does any one have the link to it? Thanks.

I ordered it on May 11. I phoned in the order. http://suncoastdiesel.com/

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:15 pm 
LOST Member

I have a euro converter for sale in the parts forum

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:03 pm 
LOST Member

I hope some one chime in. Does any one have experience with this torque converter from Rockauto? it is the one that pops up when you search on their site for our TC http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 69&jsn=363
looks like a mid stall HEMI TC. Opinions?