It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leak Somewhere between Fuel tank and Filter Head - Diagrams?
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can find some fuel line diagrams? When I last drove the Jeep I noticed almost like limp mode symptoms, loss of power.. parked it, and the next day after adding about a half quart of oil I started it and then it died about 15 seconds later :(

I found my fuel filter head to be dry. (thankfully, I was worried me adding oil had something to do with it
.) The line coming up from the tank has been replaced with clear line so I can see its dry. I tried priming and purging any air out but I'm not getting any pressure, I just keep hearing air enter.

I'm sure I have a bad fittling or break in the line somewhere from below the fuel head to the tank. I got underneath and couldn't find anything.

Has anyone had any similar experience? Also anybody know where I could find some diagrams? I guess I'm going to need to check the fittings and I don't really know what I'm looking for.

thanks
Pete

Post subject: Re: Leak Somewhere between Fuel tank and Filter Head - Diagr
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Back to basics:
1. do you have 1s or 2n gen fuel filter head (both plugs black on 1s vs. 1 black and 1 blue on 2n gen)? If 1s gen unplug right side (viewed from front) electric plug; insert "Q" tip or a bit of paper towel into port on head; remove and sniff; does it smell like diesel? If so your heater plug is fried - get new head and wiring from idParts.
2. really basic - are you positive there is fuel in the tank?
3. are you following correct priming procedure - pump primer until it gets hard; crack bleeder; close bleeder; repeat? Do NOT open bleeder and leave it open while you pump - won't prime that way just sloshes air back and forth in lines.
4. did you recently change fuel filter? If so did you forget to remove the old "inner" gasket?

Nothing special about lines - hose from filter head runs to fitting on metal hose; metal hose runs along frame rail back to tank; 2 quick disconnects (see http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/) back at tank are known to leak air. FYI there are two lines 1) fuel to engine and 2) fuel return to tank. IIRC supply line is the larger of the 2 but I'm not sure.

If there is fuel in the tank it's unlikely that there would be an air leak bad enough between filter head and tank to prevent priming unless one of the quick disconnects is completely loose. Grab a fuel can, fill with diesel, grab appropriate size and length of clear vinyl tube or diesel rated fuel line; remove fuel head supply line and replace with that tube; insert other end of tube in fuel can. Now try priming; if it won't prime per above method the primer and/or primer check valve are shot - replace filter head.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I noticed you just recently joined, welcome.

I suggest you read Sir Sam's Nobe thread at the top of this section and you'l learn about you air problem.

At ten years old I replaced my original fuel head because it was time for a filter change so why not but it was still not leaking.

My thinking is the filter heads overheated because there's air in them, if there were fuel it would cool it.

Again mine was 10 years old and still didn't leak but I had a lift pump from early on :BANANA:

My 06 had your problem when new intermittently. The solution is to add an in-tank lift pump.

The CRD's fuel lines are the same as a gas model that has a lift pump and therefore are under pressure.

In the CRD's fuel they are under a vacuum and prone to air leaks.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:44 am 
LOST Member

While the fuel fittings may be the same as the gas version, do NOT install a 3.7L fuel pump in your CRD. Pump pressure is too high for the CP3 common rail pump. The in-tank pump that has been used successfully in the CRD is from a 2006 Dodge Ram with the Cummins Turbo Diesel engine, The Cummins also uses a CP3. Many (including myself) have successfully installed the Carter P76148M aftermarket version. The fuel pump relay should already be installed in your CRD and the wiring up to the connector under the rear seat is in place. The harness from the under-seat connector to the fuel tank is different for the diesel. Some have modified the diesel wiring harness by adding wires. Others have used the gasoline harness and re-pinned it (I chose this method and have documented on this site the wires that must be re-pinned for a 2006.) and a few have opted to purchase the very new plug-n-play ($$) harness from Sasquatch motorsports. See link below to the 32 page thread that started in 2007.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26385

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.