It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: possible Vaccum Pump issues , solved
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:11 am 
LOST Member

Seach on here sucks , but anyway , has anyone replaced the vaccum pump .

I believe mine has become weak , because I lose brake boost sometime and the a/c vents take a long time to switch

where on the engine is it at ?

so this ended up being a deteriorated vacuum plug that GDE put on when they did the Turbo upgrade

and that was only a year ago ,I am not knocking GDE but man less then a year for a plug

Last edited by ibedonc on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: possible Vaccum Pump issues
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:30 am 
LOST Member

The vacuum pump runs off the crank. Its towards the bottom of the block in the front behind a sheet metal cover it shares with the oil pump I believe.

I may be able to take a picture for you if you need it. I have one of my jeeps disassembled for a head gasket job so I have it torn down to that cover.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:41 am 
LOST Addict

A vacuum gauge would be a good way to test the vacuum pump.
There is a metal tube coming out of the block, almost next to the dipstick tube, connected to a rubber vacuum hose. That would be the best place to test vacuum.

I suspect you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

There is a rectangular vacuum reservoir mixed in with all the vacuum solenoids behind the air filter box.
Also, if there really were a vacuum system problem, you might notice some lack of power and get a turbo underboost code.
(edit: nevermind, I see you have the GDE turbo on both your CRDs. Therefore those vacuum pieces for the turbo are probably gone. Doesn't eliminate the possibility of a vacuum leak though)

Last edited by flash7210 on Wed May 18, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:45 am 
LOST Member

thanks flash , I saw that line , and where it goes to the brake booster, just did not have a clue what the pump is. is the part number in the tech section ?

a pic would be great , thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:57 am 
LOST Addict

BTW,

Rather than mess with the vacuum pump, THAT IS INSIDE THE ENGINE, I would add in an electric vacuum pump + appropriate vacuum switch. :2cents:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:09 pm 
LOST Member

yep , I have done that on other cars

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:10 pm 
LOST Addict

IDparts has the CRD vacuum pump here:
http://www.idparts.com/vacuum-pump-liberty-crd-p-4722.html

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:18 pm 
LOST Member

thanks for the idparts link

going to try this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Vacuum ... 1708687040

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I've got a known-good vacuum pump that I just pulled off a seized block. I am pretty certain that you can replace the pump without pulling too much more than to the timing components. I'd have to check again, but I think the inner cover behind the cams has to be pulled, but then the sheet metal cover of the oil pump and the vacuum pump can be removed without removing the crank pulley or anything else.

I know I was surprised how fast it all came apart when I was breaking the block down.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:24 pm 
LOST Member

If I was closer I would let you do it , plus I need my VW jetta tdi-pd belt changed :)

also let you have a go at the glow plugs in that jeep also

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The only way I do the glow plugs now is with the intake elbow, b/c the #3 plug is too dangerous to try and remove without removing the entire elbow. Bad location.

As far as your PD... I could probably figure it out, but I'm actually not familiar with that design. Maybe it is similar to the ALH though, because I know the bottom of the block is the same between the two of them.

If you want me to come back, we can talk about that, I seem to remember there was another CRD somewhere around DFW that was expressing interest. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:57 am 
LOST Member

Is there any way to do a smoke test?? You get a cigar and blow the smoke in a tube. Much like die to find a coolant leak. The smoke should come out of the leak which should help identify the area...I habe done this on other turbo cars but I don't know if it would work on the jeep being my first diesel.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which hose would be the best place to blow in to?

This might help the OP find the leak.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:13 am 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
I've got a known-good vacuum pump that I just pulled off a seized block. I am pretty certain that you can replace the pump without pulling too much more than to the timing components. I'd have to check again, but I think the inner cover behind the cams has to be pulled, but then the sheet metal cover of the oil pump and the vacuum pump can be removed without removing the crank pulley or anything else.

I know I was surprised how fast it all came apart when I was breaking the block down.

Can you take a picture of that area?
I've never taken that cover off and I'm having a tough time picturing how the oil pump and vacuum pump fit in that space.
I know they are both geared to the crank but I dont know how they all fit together.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:24 am 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Can you take a picture of that area?
I've never taken that cover off and I'm having a tough time picturing how the oil pump and vacuum pump fit in that space.
I know they are both geared to the crank but I dont know how they all fit together.

I should have... But can't. The block is gone (scrapped) and the crankshaft is in Idaho with Nick. The hub isn't that big though, and the two gears are just off to the sides of the crankshaft hub. The vacuum pump is on the right as you are looking at it - toward the driver's side, and the oil pump is in the same spot to the left. They are just held in with 3 allen-head bolts each, pull right out the front.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:42 am 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
The only way I do the glow plugs now is with the intake elbow, b/c the #3 plug is too dangerous to try and remove without removing the entire elbow. Bad location.

As far as your PD... I could probably figure it out, but I'm actually not familiar with that design. Maybe it is similar to the ALH though, because I know the bottom of the block is the same between the two of them.

If you want me to come back, we can talk about that, I seem to remember there was another CRD somewhere around DFW that was expressing interest. :JEEPIN:

I have the tools for the PD , also I have weeks kits , but just have not put them on
also you could do the vacuum pump if that is possible

I feel like using the electric pump is a temporary option until I get the OEM one done

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:36 am 
LOST Addict

If you end up needing a brake booster, I have one that I'd sell for cheap. It has just over 80k miles on it, and I know it worked well before I removed it.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:03 pm 
LOST Member

Here's a picture of the engine upside down with only the oil pump installed for reference:

And here's a closer look with bother the oil pump and vacuum pump installed along with the gear that drivies them mounted to the front of the crank.

I would definitely check for leaks before replacing the vacuum pump. There isn't a whole lot to them to fail, and it wiall require all the work of a normal timing job + removing the inner timing cover + the front cover + replacing the front mail oil seal.

Mike

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:25 pm 
LOST Member

I tested the pump and at idle getting -25 , until I press the brakes then on the 2nd press it goes to 0

so was thinking it was the booster , then I plugged off the line going to the cab , and I have brakes every time , so it is in the dash somewhere

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Probably a loose or broken connection in the selector. The vacuum line runs directly to the dials, and moving the direction knob moves a set of valves. That is a WAY easier fix than digging out the pump. You can get those control sets for a few bucks from any boneyard, and that will give you the hands-on version of how to dig it out and replace.

Post subject: Re: possible Vaccum Pump issues , solved
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:48 pm 
LOST Member

bump