It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please Help with P0610
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello everybody, I just got this 2005 Liberty CRD Limited, very nice car but came with some problems, on my way home the car died, after checking it out found the alternator was not working, towed home, after replacing it, started fine but had a p0605 code and limp transmission, TCM rom apparently corrupted, the TCM installed was 56044737AI, I got a used one which it was 56044737AF apparently a previous revision but compatible, install the new TCM, no limp mode anymore but I got P0610 ECU is reading a manual trans. Now when I plug the old one again I have no P0610, so it must be TCM related not an ECU problem, could the revision letter at the end of the serial be the cause of the problem?, Should I get a part with the AI at the end?, I have seen here how to remove the code from the ECU map, but is my understanding that just only block the ECU for looking and mapping that error, however the code will still be there, am I right?, I also read resetting the variant coding will eliminate the problem, but the jeep dealership here knows very little about these cars, Is there a way of reset the coding without the dealer tool?, and is on the TCM or the ECU the one needing the reset? . Sorry about the hassle with so many questions, I have experience with VW's but first time on these engines, o any help will be really appreciated. :D Thank you!!.

Post subject: Re: Please Help with P0610
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd suggest you ask GDE as they are very knowledgeable about the TCM and ECU.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:45 am 

Info on the P0610 code:
http://www.engine-codes.com/p0610.html

Info on the P0605 code:
http://www.engine-codes.com/p0605.html
&
http://www.autocodes.com/p0605_jeep.html

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

P0610 is pretty common on these Jeeps if power dies down. The other code is probably caused by the same thing.

It is impossible to clear the P0610, but GDE can hide it with his tune.

I had him mask in on one of my CRD libbies.

Like Pap says, give GDE a call and see if they can fix you up with a tune?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:28 am 
LOST Newbie

hank you all of you for the help, I might not explained well, I was talking about 2 different TCM modules, the original one failed with a p0605 which is a code for ROM memory error, makes the car go in limp mode because it can't access to the data stored inside the module and there is no other solution than get a replacement, now the replacement TCM is the one giving the p0610 error, I believe this error is because the version on the module I got precedes the version of the original (replacement is AF when original is AI) , so my guess is these TCM can be replaced only by the same version or one that supersede the one installed, I still looking for a used one ending on AI or AJ to prove this is true. the is very common on european cars once you replace a module with a newer version you can't go back to a previous one without trigger a code. I think this is the reson of the infamous p0610 on these cars, for some reason when people jump start or have a low batt the memory inside the TCM get corrupted and ECU think is an old version then you get the code, Dealer fix replacing the ECU fix the problem because is like starting from new again. I will let you know if I can get a module and prove my theory.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

A cheap test would be to get a Ram TCM from the early 2000's on eBay or junk yard. I got one for $25. Search Ram TCM for part number.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

P0610 is in the ECM, not the TCM. The ECM thinks it is programmed for standard, but sees a automatic TCM instead.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello, Thanks to everybody, just wanted to do a follow up on this problem, I was able to get rid of the code modifying the code table on the ECU as I read on this forum, now I'm wondering if this would affect in some way the life of the transmission, since the fact the ECU is not mapping the error doesn't mean is not there. Any suggestions?..

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
If it really is just a detection mismatch with what the computer is expecting, then no, there shouldn't be any issues with longevity. Somehow the computer got recoded and they didn't select the proper options when that happened, but the shifting performance is all handled by the TCM anyway. They are completely separate on this application, many other setups, the TCM is actually part of the ECM coding.

If the shift points are correct and the performance seems correct... Drive on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:39 pm 
LOST Addict

I have had that code for a long time. I finally disabled the code in the ecu.

Everything seems to drive fine otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:

I have the same code. Can you let me know how you disabled it?

Thanks,

Justin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The only way is to download the ECM to your computer, and find the code in the code table with a hex editor. Unfortunately it will not be easy to locate and most likely won't have the same numbers (the fields might have a 17 or 25 or something else in them in that location) and you have to then zero out those fields.

I managed to do it for one tune file on a CRD that had a persistent 600~ code (can't recall exactly which one) that was also a glitch, but I can't remember exactly how I managed to do it b/c I've only done it once so far. There is information about it in one of the DIY threads in the tech section - it will probably take a fair bit of searching to find it. Sorry I can't be more help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

To the original poster ... if your CRD is a 2006 model year, then the problem maybe with your harness.

My 2006 had a problem with the harness rubbing the back of the fuel filter bracket. As soon as I relieved the stress on the harness by unwrapping the electrical tape at that spot and using tie straps instead. P0610 and 2 other codes went away.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:14 pm 
LOST Addict

justinmc wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

I have the same code. Can you let me know how you disabled it?

Thanks,

Justin.

Check out the DIY ecu thread in forum #98. There are tables of the ECU codes. You need to download the hex file, find your code address, and then change the number to disable it, reupload to your ECU.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice and info.

I didn't notice any issues with the wiring or harness but maybe I'll take another look.

I modified the E48A0 & E48A1 entries from 11 to 00 (since that's what the 808 txt file showed relating to P0610) and I fixed the checksum by changing FDEFE from 12 to 34 and then I wrote the BIN into my Jeep but the P0610 is still there.

I also got the P0102 code coming up which is the MAF sensor but I thought that was disabled with the YETI EGR FCV Mild Tune which is the BIN I'm using.

Justin.

Last edited by justinmc on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

racertracer wrote:
To the original poster ... if your CRD is a 2006 model year, then the problem maybe with your harness.

My 2006 had a problem with the harness rubbing the back of the fuel filter bracket. As soon as I relieved the stress on the harness by unwrapping the electrical tape at that spot and using tie straps instead. P0610 and 2 other codes went away.

Mine is a 2006. I took another look at it and the cable going behind the fuel head is in a square plastic conduit not just rubbing against it. Even if wiring was the problem surely disabling the code completely in the ECM would fix the issue.

Justin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Maf code is not disabled, only the FCV and EGR codes. The MAF is actually used for other parts of the fuel map, when it is unplugged (and coding) then the computer goes to a default fuel map which may or may not be more efficient than the actual measured airflow.

Sounds like the sensor may be genuinely failing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:03 am 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
Maf code is not disabled, only the FCV and EGR codes. The MAF is actually used for other parts of the fuel map, when it is unplugged (and coding) then the computer goes to a default fuel map which may or may not be more efficient than the actual measured airflow.

Sounds like the sensor may be genuinely failing.

Maybe I misunderstood the modified BIN operation since I still have the MAF unplugged from before when I did the off-road mod. The ORM is mentioned in the forums for improving fuel economy and that the MAF doesn't do anything else for the CRD since it's mainly a gas engine component.

I thought the BIN disabled it since the only thing the MAF was for was to operate the EGR valve. So, are you saying I should plug it in if I'm running the Yeti 808 EGR/FCV delete mild tune because it disables the EGR valve?

Justin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:15 am 
LOST Addict

The tune does not disable the EGR - unplugging the EGR or (better) replacing it with an elbow kit or blocking plate. The tune only deletes the code from the system so that the CEL doesn't bother the owner after actually removing the EGR from the picture.

After that point, the MAF may be left plugged in without issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 am 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
The tune does not disable the EGR - unplugging the EGR or (better) replacing it with an elbow kit or blocking plate. The tune only deletes the code from the system so that the CEL doesn't bother the owner after actually removing the EGR from the picture.

After that point, the MAF may be left plugged in without issue.

Okay, maybe I'll try to disable the P0102 code in the ECU then because I don't want to install an elbow kit or blocking plate or go to the trouble to take my EGR out.

Thanks,

Justin.