It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carshield quote
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:54 pm 
LOST Member

Anybody have experience with these guys?

I just got off the phone, 5yr/50K mile policy for $3000-4000 depending on the amount of miles it has and how many you've put on it yourself.

$100 deductible, rental car and take it to any ASE certified mechanic and they'll pay new parts and labor.

For those of us who haven't had turbo or head gasket issues it sounds tempting.

Thoughts?

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

Post subject: Re: Carshield quote
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:02 pm 
LOST Member

Nope, no experience with aftermarket warranties.......I am my own warranty station.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

I think most folks on here including myself do all the repair and maintenance ourselves. I've never owned a car/truck with a warranty. I'd be hesitant to let anyone other than me work on my vehicles.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:52 am 
LOST Member

I do a lot of work myself (I put on the lift kit and changed the radiator myself) but I wouldn't be changing out a cracked head myself, and I imagine parts alone run close to $3000 for new OEM parts.

I'm leaning against it for this car since it's not my daily driver and I don't put many miles on it, but I'm going to get another quote for my Excursion which is a daily driver.

If the CRD was your daily driver and you thought there was a 50% chance of having to fix the top end of your engine I would think this would be a good investment.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:10 pm 

This type of insurance is sort of like gambling; the insurer is betting on you not needing it, and the insuree is betting on if he does need it, he has it.
If you have to use it, the insurer loses; if you do not use it, you loose!

Car repair insurance is based on the Pool theory; the bigger the pool (payees) and the less insurees using the funds, the more profit for the insurance company! I personally am not fond of insurance companies as they try every trick in the book to try and keep from paying out funds if you have to file a claim and then they will want to drop your coverage if you do!
I have witnessed service managers catch MUCH grief and spend exorbitant amounts of time on the phone dealing with an insurance company when trying to get an insurer to cover a legitimate claim on a vehicle!!!
Insurance companies are basically legalized Ponzi Schemes! :twisted:

As olypopper stated, most on here are our own warranty stations; if I break it, I fix it, if it breaks on its own, I still fix it!!! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:14 pm 
LOST Addict

10 years, 150,000 miles, zero head replacements.

I'd say pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:19 am 
LOST Addict

I do my own regular maintenance and some smaller repairs but still I dont think that is worth the price. thats a lot to gamble on will it break or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:25 am 
LOST Member

I bought one after I had my CRD for a short time and read about all the issues. It is a 5YR/100K mile warranty. Cost about $2K. For that amount it was reasonable insurance. I could do my own maintenance and the warranty was still intact. Have year to use it as the CRD has been problem free. Still have almost a year left and 30K miles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:55 am 
LOST Newbie

There's someone on the CRD Facebook page who's going through an issue with her warranty company where they keep fixing the cheapest thing they can find, and the problem is still happening. I'd rather be at the mercy of my own finances than have someone pay for the least common denominator of fixes.

$.02

05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs --Stolen from papaindigo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:32 am 
LOST Member

The problem with these type of insurance deals is finding a mechanic/dealer who will do the work. The mechanic/dealer has to call for repair authorization. IF it is authorized by Carshield, they will only pay for x hours of labor even if it takes 10x hours. So the mechanic/dealer either 1) says no way 2) does the job as quickly as possible (not likely if they are professional) 3) charges you for the difference in price.

Do a search for Carshield complaints and read up: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_wa ... a-llc.html

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2