It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Crank No Start Help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello, hoping for some help diagnosing my no crank no start issue that just popped up.

A little background; this past Sunday I went to start the Liberty and it wouldn't start, wouldn't even crank. I left it for a little bit, came back and it fired right up no problem. It did this one or twice since then and would start after a little bit until yesterday. I was on my way home from work, stopped at a store and it would not turn on. Got it towed home and have been trying to diagnose it.

It's an 05, I have a GDE Eco tune on it, a battery that's a month old and showed 12.9 V, and an aftermarket radio that's a month old as well as an aftermarket remote start system.

When I go to start it, I turn the key to the On position and all the lights on the gauge cluster light like they're supposed to, the fuel gauge works, the ADS light comes on and goes off, check engine light comes on and stays on (boost solenoid). When I turn it to Start, absolutely nothing happens. The lights go off as they would in a normal start then come back on after returning the key to the On position.

Using the remote start, I opened the hood and listened for the relays to work, and they do, I can hear them clicking and feel them switching. After they click I hear what sounds like a door latch opening coming from the drivers side of the engine, then the relays click again and it repeats. I can also hear a steady beeping/buzzing sound from the drivers side of the engine bay when the key is in the On position.

I've checked all the fuses and relays and they're good. I swapped the ADS, starter, ignition relays and none of that helped. I replaced the ignition switch and ignition actuator with new ones, didn't help. I've tried moving the shifter from park to neutral and back, doesn't work. I checked that the starter works by jumping the relays and it works. I turned the car to on and tried starting it by jumping the starter, took a little bit but it almost started before I pulled the wire out of the relay. Now jumping the starter doesn't work, so I may have damaged something there :banghead:.

I read the codes and all that is showing is a P1250, which is odd because the tune should turn that off. However this was right after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. The scanner did show monitors for a misfire, fuel, EGR and something else. I've never seen those before so I'm not sure what to make of them.

Any help will be appreciated and recommendations for a good mechanic in the Detroit area will be too if I can't get it on my own.

Post subject: Re: No Crank No Start Help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:11 pm 
LOST Member

It sounds like maybe the contacts in your starter solenoid is worn out. The sound you're hearing from the drivers side of the engine (the door latch sound) is probably the plunger in the solenoid moving, but because the contacts are worn, it's not completing the circuit to the starter motor. You could try replacing only the solenoid (I found one here that claims to fit the CRD) or just replace the whole starter.

Another thing, looking at the wiring diagram you may want to check fuses 8 (for starter motor relay) and 28 (for starter solenoid) in the power distribution center (underhood fuse box). From what I'm understanding in your post it sounds like those things are getting power, but it wouldn't hurt to check spending money on parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to find just the solenoid this weekend and failing that I'll try a new starter. You don't happen to have a part number for that solenoid do you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:29 am 
LOST Member

Unfortunately that's the only place I've found the solenoid separately, and googling their part number doesn't really come up with anything useful. They're apparently based in Ireland so you probably wouldn't be receiving it real quickly. The part number for the whole starter is 56041579AB or RL041579AB for the OEM one or various other part numbers for other brands.
http://www.idparts.com/starter-liberty-crd-p-5339.html
http://www.wermopar.com/oe-mopar/rl041579ab
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep ... motor,4152

Edit: Here's a similar thread that may be helpful: Starter dead? Not making a beep, battery is fine...