It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tracking down Shudder with a upgraded pump and new Hemi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:04 pm 

Looks like their kit does affect TC?
From Transgo's web site:
FEATURES: Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: 2-3 neutral, Drainback, Limp, TCC slide bang and Slip codes. Heavy Duty Accumulator plate/cover and Special accumulator seals. Has tough Snap ring, Saves Pump and VB. Includes new TC limit valve system.

NOTE: SK 45RFE and 45RFE-HD2 do not make firm shifts. A "quicker shift" occurs which is the transition time from the release and or apply of the present gear to the next gear.

Special Instructions: Professional installation recommended. Partial install may be done from bottom end on Valve body, however full kit install requires transmission removal, disassembly and reinstallation.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Installed the Transgo kit a month ago (heavier springs and new high temp rings), but shudder / vibration didn't improve.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:46 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Looks like their kit does affect TC?
From Transgo's web site:
FEATURES: Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: 2-3 neutral, Drainback, Limp, TCC slide bang and Slip codes. Heavy Duty Accumulator plate/cover and Special accumulator seals. Has tough Snap ring, Saves Pump and VB. Includes new TC limit valve system.

NOTE: SK 45RFE and 45RFE-HD2 do not make firm shifts. A "quicker shift" occurs which is the transition time from the release and or apply of the present gear to the next gear.

Special Instructions: Professional installation recommended. Partial install may be done from bottom end on Valve body, however full kit install requires transmission removal, disassembly and reinstallation.

I read that too but it didn't specify exactly where or in which valve the TCC modification is made. My only guess is that its done within the pump because according to the Mopar manual all the TCC valves are in the pump.
Most folks (including me) dont mess with the pump modification because they dont want to drop the transmission.
They also dont install the included resistor (line pressure booster) because it requires soldering and may cause the shifts to be too harsh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:39 pm 
LOST Addict

kj75 wrote:
Installed the Transgo kit a month ago (heavier springs and new high temp rings), but shudder / vibration didn't improve.

darn, did you do the TC spring? Looks like you'd have to drop the transmission for that. If I drop it again I'm stealing the newly rebuilt trans and Suncoast that's sitting in another jeep in my driveway. Hopefully they didn't somehow keep one of the old style pumps in it...

Thanks for all of the advice fellas. What really sucks is that I bet the TC is fine, but there's no way I'd chance it, too much work for a $300 TC. If I end up pulling it again, and if someone is brave, they can have it for the price of shipping ($60), otherwise I'm throwing it in the trash along with the darn transmission, as I have two spares. I wonder if a transmission shop could identify exactly what's wrong with it for less than $200 or so? I'll have to try that line booster first. I'm about to go pull another lighter load 3-4k, and I bet like last time it will shudder less with that load, but as soon as I unload it's a lot worse :dizzy: :banghead: :?:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:46 am 
LOST Addict

Any opinions on whether or not my psst psst psst sound is an internal leak on the transmission? Or maybe it's a tiny boost leak? Wouldn't a boost leak be constant hiss even at idle? It's like I have a band of serpents under the jeep.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:13 am 
LOST Newbie

My shudder started a few months after GDE full torque eco tune install on 80000 mile 05 CRD. My Jeep already had the upgraded euro spec TC and software so I hoped it would be ok, but no luck as it developed the shudder. I first tried updated pump and hemi tc and shudder was unchanged. I then did transgo and suncoast tc at same time and shudder is gone. Cant say if it was either or both that fixed it, I just didnt want to tear into it again and it has been great ever since, currently jeep has 106000 miles. Probably not what you want to hear but that is my experience hope it helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Today I removed the rear shaft and inspected the Ujoints. Everything seemed nice (no slop or binding). Also lubricated the yoke. Took the Jeep for a drive without the rear shaft, and the slight shudder / vibration was still there. However I noticed that I had to drive in Part Time as Full Time did not move. I am not sure if this is normal or that the transfere case is not working.

In terms of the Transgo kit, I didn't pull the transmission, so only installed the basic bits.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:50 am 
LOST Addict

Yes, without rear shaft it's normal to move the jeep only in 4lo or 4hi part time. These modes are engaging both axles, front and rear, otherwise, in 4hi full time your transfer case acts as an open diferential, and thinks the rear axle is spinning.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:19 pm 
LOST Addict

It's starting to sound like it is MANDATORY to upgrade that valve in the front pump, because IF that is the problem, you really don't want to have to drop the transmission again.

Another member (Thefunk) reported zero shudder with his Florida Billet TC, but he also had that pump valve upgrade.

I figure the valve body mods can be done later if necessary.

I'm hoping that my hissing transmission holds up until I get the pad poured at the house I just moved back to so I have a good surface for the swap (the garage is too small for a jeep for 2 feet).

I am thinking of a Florida Billet for my current project though, as they are half the cost, and seem to work. The engine is out, and I can't miss the chance to upgrade the TC for the next guy.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Does your shudder sound like this ?
https://youtu.be/bNcjKMZKDdo

I have been trying to diagnose this shudder vibration for a while.
Happens in 4th and 5th and always at 1600rpm to 2000rpm, and only on heavy acceleration.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:30 pm 
LOST Addict

kj75 wrote:
Does your shudder sound like this ?
https://youtu.be/bNcjKMZKDdo

I have been trying to diagnose this shudder vibration for a while.
Happens in 4th and 5th and always at 1600rpm to 2000rpm, and only on heavy acceleration.

I will try to hear mine, but I'm now sure that mine has to do with what has turned into a buzz buzz buzz (solenoid sound?). It's definitely coming from the front right hand side of the transmission. Maybe it is a psst psst psst sound though, and I'm thinking it's coming from the front pump :banghead:

I couldn't really hear your shudder in the video, but my kids are noisy... I'll try again another time.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll defer to others who may know more but I've experienced shudder only 3 times:
1. right after geordi and I installed the GDE Stage II turbo but before installing the SunCoast TC we drove out of his digs and I stomped the "go" pedal. Instant shudder very similiar but not identical to when you botch engaging a manual transmission on startup. Drove with light foot until SunCoast installed the TC with no problems.
2 and 3. very light shudder under load in high gear going up a slight grade in my son's fully loaded 06 (GDE EcoTune and stock TC) pulling fully loaded 5X8 uHaul trailer. Backed off go pedal and no problem for remaining 1,350 miles.

Did not "hear" anything but did feel drive line vibration - massive in case 1 but only slight in cases 2 and 3

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:34 pm 
LOST Addict

I finally plugged in my sonnax pressure booster.
With my Yeti stage 2 tune and stock TCM and stock torque converter, I havent noticed any shudder. At least not yet. I dont tow and there arent any nearby mountains to test it.
At first there was a hard 2-3 shift but that quickly smoothed out.

Ive also ran the Yeti-2 tune with a Hemi TCM and got zero shudder but it also downshifts too easily for my liking.