It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sparking initially, metal striking issue
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

2005 Liberty...We had a timing belt job done along with the fan clutch replacement. Everything is fine, but when the engine is revving, accelerating, higher RPM's, there is a noise from that area, sounds like metal on metal. This happens when the fan clutch spins clockwise, seen from the car looking towards the front or grille. Its really the only way you can see the fan clutch. Anyway, not a constant sound, but it something is making noise in that area.

could there be something wrong with the new fan clutch? Fan does not look like its wobbling. No marks or metal indicators.

Post subject: Re: Sparking initially, metal striking issue
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 pm 
LOST Addict

hmm, any check engine lights? You may be hearing the notorious diesel metallic tick, which is normal, and could change with slightly different timing (new belt)), but tough to tell without hearing it.

What kind of mechanic did the belt?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:03 am 
LOST Addict

Is the fan hitting the shroud?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nope, nothing hitting the fan. Happens only at higher RPM's. Looks like it happens when the fan clutch moves back and forth. I'm not familiar with that diesel sound.

Believe there is a check engine light (son has been driving it) but he said that it was something generic that he found referenced here.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:44 pm 
LOST Addict

vertrx7 wrote:
Nope, nothing hitting the fan. Happens only at higher RPM's. Looks like it happens when the fan clutch moves back and forth. I'm not familiar with that diesel sound.

Believe there is a check engine light (son has been driving it) but he said that it was something generic that he found referenced here.

hmm, I'd be worried that the timing belt is loose, and you're near catastrophe. Not too much work to pop the front cover enough to get a finger on the belt. Of coarse without a proper one to compare it to, it would be tough to tell, but a really loose one would be obvious. If you try, let us know how much you can move the belt by pushing down with a finger. I bet Geordi could tell you if it sounds loose. Who did the belt? If they haven't done several belts on dual overhead setups, be scared. If dealership, be really scared!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:47 am 
LOST Newbie

Its a weird sound like tinging sound but only when that fan clutch starts to turn in a different direction. My son found the shop here on line in Frederick, Colorado. The guy has his own CRD that his spouse drives. All Idparts timing belt and ancillary parts.

I'm wondering if I take the fan clutch off and replace it what that will bring...outside of a lot of work...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:32 pm 
LOST Member

vertrx7 wrote:
Its a weird sound like tinging sound but only when that fan clutch starts to turn in a different direction. My son found the shop here on line in Frederick, Colorado. The guy has his own CRD that his spouse drives. All Idparts timing belt and ancillary parts.

I'm wondering if I take the fan clutch off and replace it what that will bring...outside of a lot of work...

Go in your CRD to the temp controls, and make sure the ac fan isn't engaging. Note that any directional setting that blows to the feet DOES turn on the A/C.

Recently observed this issue.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16