It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TPMS issue putting '07 EVIC in an '06
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I found an EVIC from an '07 W/TPMS p/n 56010520AE, and am trying to get it to work on an '06. Everything works but the TPMS, just shows dashes. The Jeep has the TPMS valve stems.
Has anyone done this? I'm thinking I need to switch the valve stems and the wheel well transponders
I can't find pictures or part numbers of the wheel well transponders.
Thanks for any replies

Last edited by Leon in PA on Tue May 24, 2016 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: TPMS issue putting '07 EVIC in an '06
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:41 am 
LOST Member

As far as I have read so far: the '05 needed a magnet to train the valve stems that came in the wheels when they changed position.
The '06 and up had the sensors in 3 wheelwells that combined with the ABS sensors to figure out which valve sender was transmitting from what position and retrained themselves.

If you already have the TPMS set-up in the Jeep, (They were required by Sept 2007, optional up to that point), then you ought to be ready.
Your part number says it will work with an '06 CRD.

My CRD Limited is an '06.
I bought a 56042756AJ, to replace the EVIC that just tells me that a tire is low along with the other data.
It's got the stereo controls on the steering wheel, fog lites and leather.... and whatever else is supposed to indicate that it's compatible with the upgrade option.

Some compatibility lists imply mine should work, mine doesn't specifically say CRD for '06, but the readouts lite up but show blanks for info where my standard/stock one showed temp and direction.

I read several how-to's that said that problems like this result from needing to have the computer reflashed by DC/J dealer mechanics, but I haven't yet managed to find out whether thats the same control module getting flashed that would be done by the one in this thread that is supposed to fix the dashboard CEL when the EGR is removed with the WEEKS induction elbow.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418

Let me know if you find anything out?

:banghead:

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't believe everything you "read" even if it's in the FSM or Owner's Manual. You do not need a magnet to "train" the TPMS of either the N. American 05 or 06. I've owned 2 05s (1s lost to dump truck rear ending me at red light) and my son has an 06 all those vehicles had or have the factory EVIC that shows tire pressure for the 4 on the ground. Every time we rotated, installed new tires, installed new TPMS wheel stem all we had to do for "training" is drive like 1/2 mile after installation at which point EVIC works fine.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Don't believe everything you "read" even if it's in the FSM or Owner's Manual. You do not need a magnet to "train" the TPMS of either the N. American 05 or 06. I've owned 2 05s (1s lost to dump truck rear ending me at red light) and my son has an 06 all those vehicles had or have the factory EVIC that shows tire pressure for the 4 on the ground. Every time we rotated, installed new tires, installed new TPMS wheel stem all we had to do for "training" is drive like 1/2 mile after installation at which point EVIC works fine.

I was expecting it to find all the tire pressures. The 04 and older need to use the magnet, the EVIC will prompt you which wheel to put the magnet on.

I am thinking maybe the sensors have died being 10 yrs old

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I won't go into what the EVIC will or will not display as there are apparently variations in EVIC displays even within years. What I am pretty sure though is a fully functional EVIC will display some tire pressure information or it will display a Check TPM System message if one or more of the wheel sensors or receivers are bad. If you get NO tire pressure information or error messages I'd guess whatever drives the EVIC needs to be programmed to send information.

Beyond this I am way out of my league and suggest you PM/email SirSam and GDE.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:59 am 
LOST Newbie

crasher wrote:
As far as I have read so far: the '05 needed a magnet to train the valve stems that came in the wheels when they changed position.
The '06 and up had the sensors in 3 wheelwells that combined with the ABS sensors to figure out which valve sender was transmitting from what position and retrained themselves.

If you already have the TPMS set-up in the Jeep, (They were required by Sept 2007, optional up to that point), then you ought to be ready.
Your part number says it will work with an '06 CRD.

My CRD Limited is an '06.
I bought a 56042756AJ, to replace the EVIC that just tells me that a tire is low along with the other data.
It's got the stereo controls on the steering wheel, fog lites and leather.... and whatever else is supposed to indicate that it's compatible with the upgrade option.

Some compatibility lists imply mine should work, mine doesn't specifically say CRD for '06, but the readouts lite up but show blanks for info where my standard/stock one showed temp and direction.

I read several how-to's that said that problems like this result from needing to have the computer reflashed by DC/J dealer mechanics, but I haven't yet managed to find out whether thats the same control module getting flashed that would be done by the one in this thread that is supposed to fix the dashboard CEL when the EGR is removed with the WEEKS induction elbow.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418

Let me know if you find anything out?

:banghead:

From what I have read the EVIC you have is from an '04 300M. In the '04 Liberty's the temp source changed from BCM to ECM or vice versa, so I doubt any flashing will help