It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this too much jiggle in the belt tensioner?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:06 am 
LOST Member

Hey guys...
I just took a quick video of my belt tensioner at idle. I believe I already know the answer but wanted to check with yall as I haven't had to mess with my tensioner or alternator clutch pulley yet. Is this too much bounce in the tensioner while idling? Thanks guys.

Jim

Post subject: Re: Is this too much jiggle in the belt tensioner?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:46 pm 
LOST Member

On a side note...that image in the post is not a picture. If you click on it it should take you to the video in photobucket.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:05 am 
LOST Member

Interesting to see what people say is mine is about the same. The the touch the belt feels tight.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:55 am 
LOST Addict

That's a fair bit of movement. What does it look like if you rev it up a little?

Keep an eye on it, but I'd recommend you go ahead and order a new alternator so you can replace the pulley. Keep in mind it's cheaper to replace the alternator than the tensioner.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:04 am 
LOST Member

Is there anyway someone can post a vid on how much movement a new unit has for comparison?

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:49 am 

undrgnd, Mine bounces about the same amount at idle. I have replaced the tensioner assembly, belt, and alternator pulley which helped a little, but did not stop it completely. It smooths out as soon as RPM's come up very slightly. It does seem to be a little worse when AC compressor is engaged. I have also checked the bolts on the crankshaft pulley to make sure they are good and tight.
If anyone has a solution for this one, I am very interested in the solution. Since I have never seen another Jeep CRD in this area, I have no way of knowing how much bounce is normal.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

To be honest I have not seen tensioner bounce with a known bad serp belt system (e.g. bad alternator decoupler pulley, bad idler pulley bearing, etc) so I cannot say if that is too much bounce. What I can say is compared to my 05 at idle that's a LOT of bounce; mine barely twitches if at all/borders on rock steady.

I'd lean toward proactively replacing the alternator decoupler pulley (pop its plastic cap and see if there is a lot of red dust would be a good quick check). FYI some have reported taking the alternator to a local auto electric shop and getting a quality decoupler pulley replaced for like $50 (note pulling the alternator is not hard - hardest past is getting serp belt off). Alternatively you can get the upgraded Litens 920834 pulley for around $70 and see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75841&p=796353&hilit=alternator#p796353 for a DIY pulley removal tool.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:58 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I looked at it while the engine revs up and it does indeed smooth out quick pretty quick as someone presses on the accelerator peddle. As far as red dust....I popped the cap and there wasn't really much red dust. I have, however, wiped some red dust off from the outside of the cover in the past on a couple of different occasions. The Liberty has just under 151,000 miles and this is the stock clutch pulley. As far as changing it...I realize it is easier to just replace the alternator with a new (re-manufactured) one that has a new pulley on it but...based on thread here on the forums....isn't the general school of thought the stock alternator is better that one you would get from O'Reilly's, Auto-Zone, or Advance even though they come with a lifetime warranty? If I went that route...the core charge is $66. I guess I could always keep the stock alternator, put a pulley on it, and have it as a backup even though the re-manufactured ones come with a lifetime warranty. I would love to be able to find a shop around here that would put one on if bring them the alternator....that would be awesome (as I don't have the tool kit to change it out myself...although I could do the DIY tool to change it). At this point.....is the tensioner itself probably in need of replacing from the added movement caused by the clutch pulley?

Jim

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The dealer replaced my alternator about 5 years and 30k miles ago and there is no hopping at all :BANANA:

As far as lifetime warranties go I recently researched rear window regulators, left rear failed. One poster recommended getting a regulator from Advanced Auto parts because of the lifetime warranty that he has used 3 times already :dead:
I don't follow his logic and instead bought a much redesigned part that fails for under $30 and life is good :SOMBRERO:

Joe