It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overheating under load but everything appears OK
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm stumped. 2006 CRD with 140K. Temperature gauge and chime indicate overheating under moderate load with air conditioner ON. Temp drops to normal (mid range) if I turn on the heater.
Other backgrond info:
I changed the timing belt, water pump (GRAF with metal impeller) and thermostat at 95K miles 3 yrs ago. No problems since and none prior.
Always used zerex G05.
GDE Eco tune was installed at 60K with no problems.

Other observations:
*Top radiator hose (from thermostat) becomes hot to the touch and firm when the temp gauge settles at mid range but is cool and collapsible when the engine is cold and warming up. These conditions seem normal to me.
*Once at normal operating temperature (mid range on gauge) and then shut down, the radiator is very hot vicinity of the radiator inlet hose and across the top of the radiator all the way to the outlet radiator hose. However, the radiator is very cool to the touch in all other areas. Basically the top 4 inches from left to right (facing the vehicle) are hot but all remaining portions of the radiator are cool. This does NOT seem normal to me. However, I drained the radiator (always used zerex G05) and the fluid looked new (last changed 3 yrs ago at 95K when I replaced the timing belt). I then flushed the entire cooling system by following one of the how to guides LOST guides and no sediment was observed. I also removed the radiator vent cap and shined a light down into the radiator (limited viewing areal but could see the passage openings all the way down to the radiator drain. All looked very clean.
* The viscous fan (stock original) appears to operate normally. When attempting to spin by hand, it only rotates about 90 degrees. When engine is idling, the fan is rotating and cannot be stopped when inserting an object such as a wooden stick. When the engine is shut down, the fan stops within 2-3 seconds.

Seem like the uneven temperatures across the radiator are the only abnormal (to me) indications. I would gladly change the radiator, but am hesitant to spend $392 (id parts) given how clean the fluid looked.

Please help me see what I am missing.

Thanks,
steve

Post subject: Re: Overheating under load but everything appears OK
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Does this only happen with the A/C on?
Does the electric fan in front of the radiator turn on when the AC is on?

Although the fan clutch may appear to be functioning normally, it's well known that the factory fan clutch engages too late and too hot of a temperature.

There is also the possibility that your temp gauge is not properly calibrated. If you can, get a IR temp gun to take a reading at the thermostat housing next time it seems to overheat.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the assist.

Forgot to mention. The electric fans are operating normally and there are no signs of fluid leaks. I do not suspect the temperature gauge as it rises normally and cools normally.

Of note, just off the phone with id parts. The thermostat that I replaced (with the timing belt at 95K and 3yrs ago) appears to have been manufactured by Crown and id parts no longer sells those do to high failure rates. So even though the top radiator hose gets hot to the touch and firm once the vehicle is fully warmed up (temp needle at mid range) could it be that the thermostat is not opening fully (though they typically failed wide open as the original did but..) and therefore not flowing enough fluid into the radiator?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:05 pm 
LOST Addict

It's entirely possible that your thermostat is the problem.

When you engine overheated, was water/steam bubbling out of the overflow tank?
If not, then it never really overheated and you temp gauge calibration is off.
There was a Chrysler TSB several years ago for fixing the gauge problem.
Anyway, it's not really a huge problem when your gauge tells you it's overheating when it's not. It's just impossible to know exactly what the temperature is.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

It was giving signs of overheating with steam and strong odor. Also, I am not sure but assume the "chimes" warning is separate from the gauge indicating system. The TSB was applied for the gauge calibration.

Gotta give credit to id parts. Even though I bought the Crown thermostat 3 years ago, they gave a $30 discount toward the purchase of a new OEM thermostat. That's solid customer service.

I'm always hesitant to throw parts at a problem, but given the choice of replacing a radiator (even though it appears to be clean) at $392, a fan clutch (even though it appears to be working normally) at $52, a water pump (must be working as turning the heater on cools the vehicle therefore the water pump must be circulating and it was a Graf water pump with metal impeller) or a thermostat from a known problem manufacturer, I am leaning toward replacing the thermostat first. Always welcome other thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Replace that junk Crown tstat and go from there. I am not where I can check my records but as I recall the temo gauge calibration TSB was for 05s only; my 05 certainly needed it.

PS - my memory was right the TSB was for 05 model year.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Sat May 28, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:17 am 
LOST Member

I had the same on my 2005 KJ.
here is the list of what I did to solve the issue:
Replaced the thermostat - Easy
Replace the cooling fluid - Easy .(if its too old, the thickness changes and has less temperature exchange property)
Replace the fan clutch with the heavy duty Hayden 2905 - not so easy

Finally and this fixed all problems: I took out the cooler and removed all the dirt. After many off road trips , it was totally clugged with dirt....

good luck

Airtex lift pump

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks to all.
I ordered an OE thermostat from id parts. Will be a couple of weeks before I am available to replace the assembly but will post back to update and hopefully closeout this problem.

I did attempt to clean out the cooler fins on both the radiator and cooler with a bug cleaner and water hose just for good measure.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:51 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Please also strongly consider replacing the junk factory fan clutch with the Hayden. If that clutch has been in service for more than 100 miles, it is bad. Really, they are complete junk. If you aren't hearing the sound of a jet engine spooling up when you are smelling steam and the engine is smelling hot... Then that is your answer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:24 am 

For a very good and lower priced cooling fan & clutch option you can use a heavy duty GM fan and fan clutch both available at NAPA...
GM Severe Duty Fan Clutch NAPA 271625
GM 11 blade HD Cooling Fan NAPA No. 8552223

See this thread for full details:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82941&hilit

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Overheating under load but everything appears OK--solved
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

CRD is back on the road! Replaced the crown thermostat with an OEM thermostat and all appears normal again. Evidently the bad thermostat was only partially openning. Thanks for the assistance.