It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Testing Plugs and Air Removal Power Steering Resovoir
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:03 am 
LOST Member

Hi All,

Just a couple of quick questions.

1 - Testing a new plug

I have just finished installing my upgraded Fuel Filter head along with the new plug. How do I test the plug to see if it is wired correctly? I put the battery back in and got out my multimeter but couldnt get it to read. Tried to get a read on the plug to the left and again no luck. Any thoughts?

Also, I just wanted to see what the best way is to get the air our of the power steering. I have read that you need to lift the car when cold and not running and turn the wheel lock to lock heaps of times and another place says to run the car for 2 mins then do the turning whilst running. Which is it?

Cheers,

Chris
CRD 2.8 2006 AUS model.

Post subject: Re: Testing Plugs and Air Removal Power Steering Resovoir
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:22 am 
LOST Addict

The heating element in the fuel filter head is just a resistor. Doesn't matter which of those two wires connect to the two pins. It will work either way.
The other connector is a temperature sensor which you shouldn't have to mess with its wiring.

For the power steering, I just fill up the reservoir, start the engine, and work the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times. Then check the fluid level in the reservoir again.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:53 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Flash. I am trying to determine if I spliced the wires good enough to make sure that it works

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm not an auto electrical person but I doubt there is a way to check. Normally one would check for continuity across the splices but that requires access to 1) the plug side which is easy and 2) a connector on the other side and I have no clue where that might be but a look at the wiring diagrams in the FSMs from SirSams NOOB site might??? help. Alternatively you could measure current passing thru the wires when the fuel filter head heater is activated but I would not think it would be activated at all unless the fuel temp is below a certain level which is unlikely in the lower 48 this time of year.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 am 
LOST Member

Awesome. Thanks fellas.