It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rough start / idle possible causes?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:05 am 
LOST Newbie

I've put maybe 100 miles on my CRD since having both the turbo and timing belt changed. My wife has been driving it so I only learned about this problem this morning. I know learn that the engine intermittently "sputters" and this morning she had a hard time starting it. I gave it a 10 minute test drive and at one point the idle sputtered a bit. I've only had this CRD a little over a month.

I'm guessing the problem is either a dirty fuel filter or air is being introduced to the fuel system through a leak. I haven't found any signs of fuel leaking but did just have the turbo and timing belt replaced so am not sure what he might have done.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose the cause of the problem?

Post subject: Re: Rough start / idle possible causes?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:15 am 
LOST Addict

This is just standard CRD stuff, hardly worth mentioning. But, check and see if it starts better when you prime the primer. If it does, you've got air. Update the fuel head, and maybe drop the tank and cut out the quick connects on the supply side, and replace with 18" of proper grade fuel line and hose clamps. A lift pump can also solve the problem, and maybe boost performance a little.
If the fuel filter is clogged, it will buck like crazy under a load, and quickly make your CRD inoperable. I carry one in the jeep just in case I get bad fuel. If it misses at idle after that, it's probably a bad connection to an injector, or a injector that's on it's way out. I've got one that doesn't work right when cold, and it's slowly getting worse.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Mountainman. I bled the fuel filter and there seemed to be air in the system. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it's a leak or if somehow the mechanic did something to let air into the system.

Got to say that I've spent more time and money on this (new to me) CRD than any vehicle I've ever owned. I've barely owned it 45 days and already replaced the timing belt, water pump, idlers, turbo and now a fuel issue to resolve. Not to mention giving it an oil and filter change the first week after I bought it and an oil pan plug that leaks and I can't find a replacement for. Hope there's a light at the end of this tunnel...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes , fix air in fuel 1st , also spray some soap around injectors , you need to check if any compression leaks pass copper washer. usually no# 4 leaks after wear removed . sometimes guys skip proper cleaning method for injector cup.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Was doing some searching for a similar problem as mine and came across this and was wondering if the OP ever came up with a solution? Was it just air? Mainly wondering if it happen to be an injector problem.
I've done all the fuel upgrades to mine last summer and has run beautifuly, a lot smoother, but recently I started to get a rough idle and can't seem to get much imput as what else to look for other than air in fuel,cam sensor ,crank sensor, map sensor, all of which I've changed.
OP did bleeding air fix your idle problem ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

JEBCRD wrote:
Was doing some searching for a similar problem as mine and came across this and was wondering if the OP ever came up with a solution? Was it just air? Mainly wondering if it happen to be an injector problem.
I've done all the fuel upgrades to mine last summer and has run beautifuly, a lot smoother, but recently I started to get a rough idle and can't seem to get much imput as what else to look for other than air in fuel,cam sensor ,crank sensor, map sensor, all of which I've changed.

In my case it's air in the fuel line that seems have been caused by the mechanic who installed the new turbo and timing belt. I've not located the source of the leak and haven't had time to go through the entire fuel system to find it. So for now I just bleed the fuel system once a week which, so far at least, keeps it running fairly well.

To be honest, I'm seriously thinking about selling my CRD and getting a new Nissan or Toyota. This is my first Jeep product and I've not been impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:52 pm 
LOST Member

bigkahuna wrote:
JEBCRD wrote:

In my case it's air in the fuel line that seems have been caused by the mechanic who installed the new turbo and timing belt. I've not located the source of the leak and haven't had time to go through the entire fuel system to find it. So for now I just bleed the fuel system once a week which, so far at least, keeps it running fairly well.

To be honest, I'm seriously thinking about selling my CRD and getting a new Nissan or Toyota. This is my first Jeep product and I've not been impressed.

Before you throw in the towel I would install an in tank pump. Its an easy mod and not too expensive. This will a) solve any air problems and b) if there is a leak, make it easier to find.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

undrgnd wrote:
bigkahuna wrote:
JEBCRD wrote:

Before you throw in the towel I would install an in tank pump. Its an easy mod and not too expensive. This will a) solve any air problems and b) if there is a leak, make it easier to find.

Well, besides the fuel leak, the "check engine" light came on and it looks like the EGR valve needs to be cleaned / replaced. And if that isn't enough, there is still an oil leak I haven't quite traced yet. I bought this Jeep under the impression it worked great, didn't need any work, and would last "forever". Well, I knew that wasn't going to be true, but I never expected this amount of work or investment. In the 3 months I've had it I've replaced the turbo, replaced the timing belt and water pump, dealt with a fuel system leak, now the EGR and whatever is still leaking oil (I'm hoping it isn't the rear seal). I've spent more money and time on this jeep than all the vehicles I've owned put together. Last Jeep I'll ever own, I can guarantee that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Owning a Jeep is an excuse for buying more tools.
And a reason for hiding in the garage.

Mine can be a pain in the butt sometimes. But without it I'd be bored.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:

LOL! I wish that were my situation! ;)

By comparison, my Nissan Frontier is 2 years older than the CRD, has twice as many miles, and all I've had to do was change the oil (every 3K miles like clockwork), tires and spark plugs. One of the rear shocks is starting to squeak, so that'll be the biggest repair I'll have done on a vehicle that I've owned for 13 years and put almost 200K mile on. Now that's a good vehicle in my opinion.

I don't usually buy used vehicles and that's because I've found most people really don't take good care of their vehicles. This CRD "looked" good, but I'm pretty sure the dealer knew this thing had major issues and did whatever he could to hide them. Oh well, lesson learned. Next vehicle I buy will brand new and Japanese made. ;)

I will definitely fix whatever I know is wrong so I can sell it with a clear conscience. But I honestly don't trust it enough to want to keep it. Hey Flash, wanna 'nother CRD? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:04 am 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:

Amen brother. ..this is why I love this car!