It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard shifts, no 1st or OD and a check engine light
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
At this point, it may be time to take it to a good transmission shop (expert) and let them diagnose the problem and suggest corrective action(s) or parts required rather than just keep changing parts? :?:
There is nothing like having a very good and experienced transmission person to be able to rely on!!!! :wink:

my trans guy won't be able to get to it for 3 weeks. the few others around me say the trans is bad. which I highly doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Update, new solenoid pack and transgo reprogramming kit

i removed the trans harness inspected and ohmmed everything out harness is good.

no more limp mode but still no overdrive
i went to the bone yard and found a tcm from a 1500 this made no difference with the overdrive

no codes..... any other simple known issues that could cause this?? otherwise im gonna do a rebuild that i really dont think is the actual issue / dont really feel like doing right now

No overdrive?
Do you still get torque converter lockup at 38mph like when the OD-off button is pressed?

I wonder if its a problem with the OD-off button and/or maybe the OD-off light on the cluster is bad?

Try pushing that button while driving, about 45-55 mph, to see if that does anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I would also do a cluster test - Hold the odometer button in while turning the key on. This will light up and cycle everything on the dash. You should / need to see the OD OFF light.

The OD is electronically controlled, so if the computer thinks the button is not pressed or not present, then it would default to locking out the OD. This is why the transmission violently downshifts to 3rd if you are driving around with a generic code scanner plugged in. Eventually the transmission computer cannot participate in the data bus conversation any longer and just reboots, which tosses you out of OD because the startup position is OD locked out until the computer decides the button exists / checks the status of the button.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:
Update, new solenoid pack and transgo reprogramming kit

i removed the trans harness inspected and ohmmed everything out harness is good.

no more limp mode but still no overdrive
i went to the bone yard and found a tcm from a 1500 this made no difference with the overdrive

no codes..... any other simple known issues that could cause this?? otherwise im gonna do a rebuild that i really dont think is the actual issue / dont really feel like doing right now

No overdrive?
Do you still get torque converter lockup at 38mph like when the OD-off button is pressed?

I wonder if its a problem with the OD-off button and/or maybe the OD-off light on the cluster is bad?

Try pushing that button while driving, about 45-55 mph, to see if that does anything.

no over drive when the engine lights is on, says P0700 Tcm codes.... I have a snap on solus pro scanner. go to trans codes and there's no codes.

delete the P0700 and everything's normal.

O/D light works, engine light comes on and there's only 1,2,3. no 4 or 5th I watch the shifts on the data display

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

with the jeep tcm in i get a check engine light throwing the tcm code go into trans codes and theres nothing.

put the 1500 tcm in theres no codes and no overdrive.

with the 1500 tcm theres no overdrive at any point

with the jeeps tcm i can overdrive to work for about 20 min then it throws a cel which is only the tcm code P0700 clear the code and all is well for 20 more min

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone know what the process is that actually makes the tcm go into limp mode is? When i was testing the relay sockets all but one act as a ground.

Why would there be 3 grounds + (1) 12v power and no switched power signal wire??

Now when it goes into limp mode its only when trying to take off. So first gear is when it goes into limp and when in limp the trans data display only says 1st gear but i know its in 2 or 3..

Sometimes theres no limp mode but only 1st, 2nd and 3rd no O/D

Same TCM code P0871 overdrive pressue sense circuit

Going to get a new tcm anyway as i think the used ram one is also bad

Trans harness is good! no resitance anywhere pinned it out 3 times now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:30 pm 
LOST Addict

At this point, all you can do is throw parts at it.
You can try replacing the input and output speed sensors.
And the transmission pressure sensor.
If you still want to try a different TCM, look for P/N 56029053AE.

Otherwise it might be best to let a good transmission shop look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Trans guy swung by to take a look at it last night..

Found that i have low line pressure when driving , average 49psi threw all gears when not in limp mode. recommends that i get a new pump, T/C and valve body.

who has the upgraded pump # or knows the best aftermarket pump available?

valve body sounds like a dealer only part.

Turns out that i already had some kind of transgo kit in it, he looked at the old parts and springs that came out and said those arent stock parts that you replaced

someone has been in this trans before.... no clue what was actually done to this jeep before i got it has 85K on it i bought it with 76K makes me wonder if there was a issue prior to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:00 pm 

The Mopar part no. is:
PUMP KIT-TRANSMISSION OIL - MOPAR (RL009879AE)
There are some available online, one being Factory Mopar Parts.
Any good transmission shop should be able to supply a quality front pump assembly and install it for you...
While you have the transmission out you need to consider installing an upgraded TC...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well ive made no headway to finding the actual issue with this darn thing.

Trans was removed and rebuilt by a reputible trans shop, had a new euro convertor put in along with new front pump.

Jeeps now been to three different shops and the dealer

still have limp mode its all the time now.

the only code it keeps throwing is P1684 battery disconnected code on a new tcm.

everyone thats has worked on this thing is baffled with it now. No one really knows where the issue could be

im thinking electrical some where now. everyone has said they tested all the connections in the tcm cirucuit.

Does anyone have any idea where to go now with this thing? is there any common electrical issues that may have been over looked?

Been such a big headache with this jeep.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok finally got something new. new code P0605 and now it's very sluggish for accelerating. seems like both engine and trans are in limp mode

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:16 pm 
LOST Addict

The p0605 is a TCM memory fault. This would mean a bad TCM.
If not a bad TCM, then you have a wiring fault somewhere.

I think you might have a bad ground or a broken wire somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
The p0605 is a TCM memory fault. This would mean a bad TCM.
If not a bad TCM, then you have a wiring fault somewhere.

I think you might have a bad ground or a broken wire somewhere.

I really hope its not a bad tcm the one on it is brand new. i put that on saturday and had all the old symtpoms except no codes.

today i was sorting threw wiring again.. found a bad ground at the output speed sensor.

i had everything unplugged on the trans, i was going to pull the whole harness except its stuck on the top of the trans so i gave up with that and just ohmed every wire out threw the connectors.

ill keep digging threw the wiring mainly grounds now

is there any known problem areas for bad ground connections on these jeeps?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well im pretty sure ive checked every ground on this jeep now found no issues with that. Went threw all the trans wiring again ( seems like the 4th time now) all that checks out fine.

Dealer is getting me another tcm under warranty now. Is it possible that they didnt program it properly?

noticed today in the trans data specs of my scanner that

it wasnt reading any line pressure at the sensor ( old tcm will show pressure)

trans temp state is always cold even after trying to drive the sluggish turd 20 miles

Trans temp reading is always 1023* F this obvioulsy is wrong.

all these above problems dont exist on the old tcm, old tcm throws an overdrive pressure circuit failure code still and does limp mode on and off as it pleases

The only issue that is now common between both tcms is that the jeep has balls what so ever will not get out of its own way. This is a new issue not sure why theres no engine codes just tcm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:18 pm 
LOST Member

I had struggled with the p0871 code. Replaced fluid, filters and solenoid pack and the problem still existed. I tried replacing the transmission line pressure sensor and it behaved so bizarrely that I was afraid to drive it. Switched back to the original sensor and decided to cut off the resistor I had installed years ago from a Transgo shift kit. I taped up the wires which I believe had been touching each other due to me not taping them up correctly from the resistor install years ago. I am happy to say that my problems have went away with the p0871 code. I would look for a resistor, if you haven't already, nearby the transmission pressure sensor and try removing it.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

SargeIndustries wrote:
I had struggled with the p0871 code. Replaced fluid, filters and solenoid pack and the problem still existed. I tried replacing the transmission line pressure sensor and it behaved so bizarrely that I was afraid to drive it. Switched back to the original sensor and decided to cut off the resistor I had installed years ago from a Transgo shift kit. I taped up the wires which I believe had been touching each other due to me not taping them up correctly from the resistor install years ago. I am happy to say that my problems have went away with the p0871 code. I would look for a resistor, if you haven't already, nearby the transmission pressure sensor and try removing it.

Holy crap thank you for that idea!!! i never thought to check for a resistor from the PO shift kit. ill look into that when i get caught up with work Thank You!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok now we are getting some where!!!!!

there was a resisitor, i have removed it NO MORE LIMP MODE!!!!!! :-)r
now shifts 1-4 with some erractic shifts and chirps the tires while down shifting, seems that 3rd is the problem acts like it cant make up its mind about going into or out of 3rd.
eco tune is off

with eco tune itll only do 1-3

just has a trans temp sensor intermittant code now. which i noticed started acting up when i got a bad tcm.....

temp reads 1023*F or 5*F (every start up its one or the other) and a constant 5v so im willing to bet wiring issue on that for some reason possibly a issue in the solenoid pack( hoping its not) this was new in the beginning of this nightmare/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Whats the possiblity of possibly a PCM issue now? i have 1,2,3 and occasionally 4th gear but no overdrive at all. I cannot get trans temp data on my scanner now at all, had to warranty the solenoid block and check wiring for what feels like the hundreth time now.

TCM is good

also it screeches the tires on down shifts....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 pm 
LOST Member

Is it possible that the engine was lifted up at one time to do some work on it? In the engine mount section of the factory service manual, it has a warning "NOTE: Care must be taken not to damage the wiring harnesses above the transmission when lifting the engine." Sounds like there's a possibility of smashing the wiring harness between the transmission and the body of the Jeep, which could cause intermittant breaks and/or shorts in the wires.

Edit: Screeching the tires on downshifts might be normal for now if you're running a new TCM. The TCM needs to learn the volume of fluid the transmission needs in order to engage/disengage each clutch pack. These fluid amounts vary a bit from transmission to transmission, so the TCM will make small adjustments over maybe a couple hundred miles of driving before the shifts feel normal again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:19 am 
LOST Member

dieseljoe93 wrote:
Whats the possiblity of possibly a PCM issue now? i have 1,2,3 and occasionally 4th gear but no overdrive at all. I cannot get trans temp data on my scanner now at all, had to warranty the solenoid block and check wiring for what feels like the hundreth time now.

TCM is good

also it screeches the tires on down shifts....

Hmm, no temp data. You will not get TC lock up in 4th and will not shift to 5th at all if the TCM thinks the fluid is cold. Coincidence? Check the resistance of the thermistor but do it through the harness from the TCM connector which will also give you some confidence in the harness. I don't know off hand what it should be at room temperature but can post the value later on today if no one chimes in in the meantime.

joe_ is correct. By removing that resistor you are changing the fluid pressure. The TCM will probably require many shifts to adapt to this. Fluid temperature may also play a part in shifting algorithm resulting in abnormal behavior if the TCM cannot determine the correct temperature.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next