It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yellow starter wire was cut by previous owner!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

My Yellow starter wire was cut by previous owner!! When I bought the jeep 2 months ago i started going through it and doing the mods and stuff and i saw a Yellow wire going underneath the fuse box that is in the engine compartment. I didnt like what i saw because my other CRD doesnt have this wire, so I pulled the fuse box and the bare wire was jammed into one of the ports under the fuse box!! I pulled it out without noting where it was and then traced it back to the starter (I assume it was jammed in the starter relay). My question is "where should this wire actually be connected to?' I have another Liberty CRD but my wife is in driving it in Buffalo now and I am in Florida so I cant trace it on that one to see where it should be connected. Funny thing is that the Jeep starts up without a problem even though that wire is disconnected. Any help would be great!!

Thank You,
Bob

Post subject: Re: Yellow starter wire was cut by previous owner!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 am 
LOST Member

Wiring diagram is showing a yellow wire with gray tracer (stripe) running from terminal 87 on the starter motor relay to the trigger(?) on the starter solenoid. However if what you're referring to is a piece of wire someone added, then most likely none of us have the same wire and no one would know where it should be connected. Does the Jeep have a remote start system installed?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:52 am 
LOST Newbie

joe_ wrote:
Wiring diagram is showing a yellow wire with gray tracer (stripe) running from terminal 87 on the starter motor relay to the trigger(?) on the starter solenoid. However if what you're referring to is a piece of wire someone added, then most likely none of us have the same wire and no one would know where it should be connected. Does the Jeep have a remote start system installed?

No there is no Remote Starter. I did see the yellow with gray stripe wire already plugged into the relay from a wiring harness. The one Im talking about is connected to the spade on the starter solenoid and is a thinner wire than the one with the stripe. Like I said, maybe I dont need to worry about it because the Jeep starts with no problem. I really just hate seeing things rigged like that and would like to have everything set up correctly. Other than my transmission shifting super hard I dont have any other problems....(oh yeah and for some reason the Fuel Guage always says its Empty)

Thanks for responding,
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:35 pm 
LOST Member

Could you post a picture of where this wire is connected in relation to where the yellow w/ gray stripe is connected?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

joe_ wrote:
Could you post a picture of where this wire is connected in relation to where the yellow w/ gray stripe is connected?

Ive been doing some research and from what i have read is that the wire on the spade (on starter solenoid) is a 12V wire that should only get power while turning the engine over. Does anyone know a good spot for this to hook up to?

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

steeler8643 wrote:
joe_ wrote:

Ive been doing some research and from what i have read is that the wire on the spade (on starter solenoid) is a 12V wire that should only get power while turning the engine over. Does anyone know a good spot for this to hook up to?

Thanks
Bob

If the Jeep is starting then it would seem to me that your wires are already connected properly. This may have been an add on for a remote start or a push button or something.

I have run fused hot wires to the starter like that when doing diagnostics and it wasn't handy to be at the ignition switch and under the hood at the same time

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

joe_ wrote:

After crawling under with better light i reached up and unplugged the wire from the spade and found that someone had spliced another wire (the yellow one) into the original wire (yellow w/gray stripe), the original is intact and hooked up like it should be but the other one I am leaving unplugged because it seems like there is no reason for it unless another accessory was installed that needed power only at startup and there are no accessories in my jeep at all.

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:00 am 
LOST Newbie

jrsavoie wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:
joe_ wrote:

Thanks
Bob

If the Jeep is starting then it would seem to me that your wires are already connected properly. This may have been an add on for a remote start or a push button or something.

I have run fused hot wires to the starter like that when doing diagnostics and it wasn't handy to be at the ignition switch and under the hood at the same time

Thanks for your help....I can relax now knowing that the actual wire is where it should be....Now I can move on to getting the Fuel Guage to work and find out why my Tranny shifts so darn hard!!

Thanks Again
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:04 am 
LOST Member

steeler8643 wrote:
Now I can move on to getting the Fuel Guage to work and find out why my Tranny shifts so darn hard!!

Thanks Again
Bob

If you're planning to drop the fuel tank to get to the sending unit, I suggest you install a Carter P76148M in-tank fuel pump while you're in there. The in tank fuel pump completely solved the air in fuel problem with my wife's CRD.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.