It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need some help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:02 pm 
LOST Member

Mike92104 wrote:
Is it possible the ground wire going to the engine has become disconnected? It attaches to a lug just behind the motor mounts bracket on the driver's side.

Or, the connection is dirty and requires cleaning. I've seen oil coat those areas before. Could be interfering...

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

well i wish you have spare TEST ECM , to try it , but sending it to a dealer will be very expensive , i wonder how much work would be to remove engine harness and put in on table and go over it , or is it overkill ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I aprieciate all the help and responses. It's has helped a lot while trying to figure this thing out. I will get a crank position sensor and try a little more tinkering. There is a auto repair place in Seattle that claims to know these crd's pretty well and they told me that burning up an ecm is very rare in these. I'll order the part and let you guys know what I find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:34 am 
LOST Junkie

Libertycrd2006 wrote:
I aprieciate all the help and responses. It's has helped a lot while trying to figure this thing out. I will get a crank position sensor and try a little more tinkering. There is a auto repair place in Seattle that claims to know these crd's pretty well and they told me that burning up an ecm is very rare in these. I'll order the part and let you guys know what I find out.

Yeah the ECMs are pretty robust and putting in a new ECM without finding out what may have blown your original ECM in the first place is going to be a costly excercise....maybe the suspect wires that you did patch up could have blown the ECM! Best to replace the crank sensor first.

The 2006 KJ has a module called the Front Control Module. This FCM sits in the engine bay on the driver's side, in front and below the battery, mounted on the left fender. This FCM does not have any drivers inside it but is a major gateway for the communication busses running around the Jeep...these busses..mainly CAN bus... control everything so any loss in communication could cause all sorts of problems.

This FCM is in a position where a lot of water, mud, snow etc. can get thrown up onto its electrical connector....best to have a good look at this module's connector to see if the contacts are clean and tight and there is no corrosion there.!

A good Auto Electrician that has access to the wiring diagrams will find the problem sooner than the average Jeep Dealer. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I read another post that talked about the FCM but couldn't find it on mine. There is nothing under the battery tray. Only a module on the drivers side fender and another one on the passenger side fender well. There is a large loom going forward towards the intercooler and radiator but I assumed it was for the headlights and such.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Libertycrd2006 wrote:
I read another post that talked about the FCM but couldn't find it on mine. There is nothing under the battery tray. Only a module on the drivers side fender and another one on the passenger side fender well. There is a large loom going forward towards the intercooler and radiator but I assumed it was for the headlights and such.

The module on the drivers side is the ECM.
The module on the passenger side is the TCM.

The FCM isn't exactly under the battery tray.
It's attached to a bracket on the drivers side frame rail. Just below the fuse box.
Kinda next to the AC compressor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is there a way to test it to find out if it has gone bad? I am going to see if I can find it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

guys i also don't have FCM in area you said close to ac comp. anyway i was at local scrap yard today , picked up 3.7 engine fan 20$ tomorrow I'm going to try to get complete harness for 100$ just to have it spare and to tell you i didn't see FCM on this jeep either (ENGINE WAS REMOVED) so where is it on 06 model???????

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:37 am 
LOST Junkie

rankom wrote:
guys i also don't have FCM in area you said close to ac comp. anyway i was at local scrap yard today , picked up 3.7 engine fan 20$ tomorrow I'm going to try to get complete harness for 100$ just to have it spare and to tell you i didn't see FCM on this jeep either (ENGINE WAS REMOVED) so where is it on 06 model???????

OK it looks like I was wrong about the 2006 having this FCM....for some reason they fitted it to the 2005 CRD Model only then must have removed it from the 2006 CRD models! Does not appear to be on the Gasser models at all!

My Bad :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:05 am 
LOST Addict

In this thread:http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80369
Owner had the same problem as you.
He replaced the FCM and that seemed to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:46 pm 
LOST Member

Besides the location behind the filter head, the other common wire chaffing area is behind the alternator bracket (the triangle shaped casting held in place with 3 bolts)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well tried a new cam sensor and crank position sensor and it's still a no start. Checked every piece of wire I can. Swapped all fuses and relays around. I think I have met my match

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did notice that the TCM relay is clicking when you turn the key to the on position. I'm not sure what that means if anything at all but that was where I found the worst of the wire rubbing. Was the loom against the TCM.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

don't lose hope, pull it out from dark garage get some day light , get wire diagram , remove battery make some room to inspect every piece of engine harness and check for continuity power and grounds to ECM. check main battery cables if fusible links for burning spots, if all is good you may have to look for spare test ECM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
A spare ECM will allow the engine to start, but because of the key mismatch, it will shut the engine down (kill the ASD) within 2 seconds of startup.

Just thinking about it now, a sneaky person might bypass the ASD with a jumper wire across the relay to bypass it. I wonder if that would bypass the SKIM nonsense, if only temporarily?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:39 am 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
A spare ECM will allow the engine to start, but because of the key mismatch, it will shut the engine down (kill the ASD) within 2 seconds of startup.

Just thinking about it now, a sneaky person might bypass the ASD with a jumper wire across the relay to bypass it. I wonder if that would bypass the SKIM nonsense, if only temporarily?

No you cannot hot wire the KJ by simply bypassing the ASD Relay.
If the ECM does not receive the correct SKIM code it will not process the injectors or spark timing so the engine will turn over with the ASD relay bypassed but will not fire.

Some people have claimed that they know how to hot-wire it but to me it seems unlikely and of course I would not post it here! :wink:

I think that if you picked up a used ECM, SKIM module, Coded keys from the same smashed vehicle at a Breaker Yard then the combination will work! From what I have read...only a Virgin brand new SKIM module can be programmed by a dealer...once the SKIM module has been coded it cannot be erased or re-programmed! :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 am 
LOST Junkie

rankom wrote:
well i wish you have spare TEST ECM , to try it , but sending it to a dealer will be very expensive , i wonder how much work would be to remove engine harness and put in on table and go over it , or is it overkill ?

Major amount of work to remove the complete harness I think...I know on the RHD CRD and I believe on the LHD ones as well that the harness runs all the way around the engine bay and goes through a metal channel under the radiator! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:53 am 
LOST Junkie

Libertycrd2006 wrote:
Well tried a new cam sensor and crank position sensor and it's still a no start. Checked every piece of wire I can. Swapped all fuses and relays around. I think I have met my match

Just to confirm your current status....after all the checks you have done and parts replaced:

Engine turns over but does not fire?
You get a lot of codes.?
No SKIS Red LED on LHS of cluster ON all the time or flashing at you?
No fuel at injectors?
Timing Belt OK?

:?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah it turns over with no start.
No red light staying on or flashing.
Same 7 or 10 codes like always.
Fuel to injectors and good pressure
Never visually checked the timing belt but since it's an interference motor I should be able to hear doo doo rattling and smacking when it turns over and that isn't happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:07 am 
LOST Junkie

Libertycrd2006 wrote:
Yeah it turns over with no start.
No red light staying on or flashing.
Same 7 or 10 codes like always.
Fuel to injectors and good pressure
Never visually checked the timing belt but since it's an interference motor I should be able to hear doo doo rattling and smacking when it turns over and that isn't happening.

OK all I can think of is to check the pinouts on the ECM with a multimeter and the pinout diagrams from the 2006 wiring diagrams which I presume you have....pinouts start on page 8W-80-69.

In other words, strap a small pin or needle onto your meter leads to piece through the insulation of the leads right at the ECM so as to check for +12 volts, ground pins with reference to battery Red terminal and other signals while turning over the engine...you can patch up the holes in the insulation with glue later.

You may be missing a ground or voltage or sensor input somewhere, ASD Relay control etc...you should see a quick spike at the injector outputs with the meter set to a low AC setting but usually you can only see this with an Oscilloscope!
Check where the ECM Ground strap G100 is located using the Ground Location pictures.

Lot of work! :shock: