It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some help
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 06 Crd Liberty that died at a stop light two days ago and won't restart. Has fuel pressure all the way to the injectors battery tests good. Will crank over but will not fire. Pulled the codes and this is what I got.
P2295
P0562
P0183
P2141
P1251
P0047
P0489
P1189
P0091
P0562
I have checked all spots of possible rubbing or chaffed wires and found a couple that could have been shorting. I made the repairs to the wires and cleared the codes but they come right back. Checked and swapped relays around with no change. Have zero blown fuses and I'm about to burn this thing to the ground. I need some guidance on where to look for the problem.

Post subject: Re: Need some help
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:51 pm 
LOST Addict

All those codes together indicate a serious electrical fault.
If it not the battery, fuses, relays or harness, check the alternator and connections to the ECM. Might also be a bad ECM.

Will the starter even crank when you try to start it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah the starter is working and the motor cranks just doesn't fire. I am having the battery retested to make sure and was gonna try and re-read the codes with the alternator unplugged to see if that will eliminate some codes. I'm beginning to lean towards the ecu but I don't want to buy one and it not fix the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is there another common spot for the harness to rub against? I am thinking it isn't a rubbing issue with as many codes as I'm getting but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Nearly every one of those codes points to a sensor or device that is on the engine.
Start by checking every part of the harness that goes near or over the top of the engine.
And check all your ground connections.

Have you had any recent work done on it where a connection may not have been tightened down properly?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

No recent work has been done. Have checked and double checked the harness and made 2 rubbing repairs but can't find anything else. Checked every connection as well and still no luck. Had the battery test again and they say it's good still. Unhooked the alternator connections and codes went away but then came right back after cranking it over. Still didn't even try to fire.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Double check the ASD fuse and ASD relay just to be sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I swapped them around a a couple times and still no luck. Guess it will be headed to the dealership. I think I have exhausted all my options

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

ok check engine harness at EGR valve area LS bell housing area above starter motor , remove the wiring loom and check if any wire is melted from exhaust heat (TUBE THAT IS COMING BACK OF CYL HEAD TO EGR VALVE)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:44 pm 

Where are you located? Need to add location to your profile...
There may be someone on here close by willing to help diagnose your problem....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Libertycrd2006 wrote:
Is there another common spot for the harness to rub against? I am thinking it isn't a rubbing issue with as many codes as I'm getting but I could be wrong.

I presume you checked where the harness goes behind the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Has the Crankshaft position Sensor (CPS) been replaced?

151K mi. 04/19
F37 w/no shudder
2nd gen filter head
SAMCO Silicone Turbo Hoses
Airtex E7181M Lift pump/Sasquatch plug-and-play harness
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/
MANN ProVent 200
Weeks stage 1&2
GDE ECO Tune by Green Diesel Engineering
OME 2" lift/Bilstein shocks
IRO rear UCA w/WWDiesel Bracket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok so I basically dismantled the whole right side of the wiring harness. To the center of the motor. Found a couple wires that has rubbed on the fuel filter bracket but didn't get al other way to bare wire. Wrapped them up anyhow and put some extra loom on the bundle of wire before putting the bracket back on. Found another bundle had been rubbing on what I'm assuming is the TCM on the passenger side fender. It was rubbed to bare wire on one wire so I fixed that and rerouted that wire bundle so ther wouldn't be any contact. Try to expose as much wire as possible going down by the egr and bell housing and couldn't find anything melted. It's a major electrical fault somewhere but not enough to blow any fuses which I don't understand. The crankshaft sensor has never been replaced that I know of but it also isn't one of the codes I'm getting. I tried to touch the battery cables together while disconnected and push the brake pedal which is supposed to do a hard reset and as soon as everything is hooked back up I get all the same codes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:37 am 
LOST Junkie

remove alternator bracket and check wires behind it , if any is rubbed against it ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did look behind the alternator bracket and all those wires looked good. I didn't see a crank position sensor code so I didn't mess with that sensor. I'm just gonna take it to the dealer and see what they say, I have put 30 hours into trying to figure this thing out and I'm over it. I'm leaning towards the ecm crapping out but I guess I will find out soon enough. Guess I'm not quite the mechanic I thought I was......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

While if might be part of your problem I doubt it's all of your problem. FYI a bad crank position sensor will not throw/set a code. Only way I know to diagnose is to pull off; hook up volt/ohm meter; apply heat as with hair dryer; if resistance goes nuts it's bad.

A bad CPS can cause random no start; no start when engine warm/hot; or just die and engine won't start no matter what.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:03 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
While if might be part of your problem I doubt it's all of your problem. FYI a bad crank position sensor will not throw/set a code. Only way I know to diagnose is to pull off; hook up volt/ohm meter; apply heat as with hair dryer; if resistance goes nuts it's bad.

A bad CPS can cause random no start; no start when engine warm/hot; or just die and engine won't start no matter what.

I literally just got done dealing with this issue last week.

My 06 would randomly crank but not start unless I let it sit, then it would start and run no problem most of the time. It just died while I was at a redlight 2x over the course of a week then would refuse to restart until it sat for 20 to 30 min. Then it would fire and run like nothing every happened. No engine codes or anything.

I replaced the Cam position sensor and the Crank sensor (which is what I believe to be the culprit) because I figured they are both 10 years old and probably need replaced. Jeep runs fine now and has not failed to start/died since last Thursday when I replaced both sensors.

I would try Crank sensor before you fork over piles of $$$ to dealer to find out no more than you knew before, they will just start throwing parts at it, frequently the wrong one.

The crank sensor is on passenger side of engine just behind the heat shield on the side of the block behind the turbo down pipe. You will need a 10mm socket for the heat shield bolts (2x) and then i believe it was an 8MM socket to take the bracket loose that holds the electrical connector for the Crank sensor as it is impossible to unplug while the bracket is bolted down. You will also probably need a 3in extension. The bolt that holds the sensor can be done with an allen key or socket I cannot remember what size. I did the entire job laying on cardboard with the jeep sitting on the ground, you will pretty much be working using only your right hand so you may have to stop a few times so your hand does not cramp up. it probably took me 45 min to an hour working at a leisurely pace to complete.

These pics from another thread will probably be helpful, there is a closeup of the crank sensor about halfway down the page.
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=74594

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

Last edited by xhizzous on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 am 
LOST Member

Libertycrd2006 wrote:
I did look behind the alternator bracket and all those wires looked good. I didn't see a crank position sensor code so I didn't mess with that sensor. I'm just gonna take it to the dealer and see what they say, I have put 30 hours into trying to figure this thing out and I'm over it. I'm leaning towards the ecm crapping out but I guess I will find out soon enough. Guess I'm not quite the mechanic I thought I was......

Don't discount your abilities. You did find wires that needed attention. Electrical faults are difficult to diagnose, as they are sometimes not straight-forward.

You have a decade-old vehicle that had flaws when built. They are tricky to fix, but awesome when you get it all figured out.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Also, dealerships are FAR from a reliable source of knowledge. They usually can correctly predict what day of the week it is... If you give them 6 guesses.

Think about this: The last time anyone at a dealer was trained on this rare vehicle was in April/May of 2004. Right - TWELVE YEARS AGO. When they were first sold, it would be reasonable to accept that none would need service of any significance for at least the first 30k miles, so there is at least another year or two of that "training" fading into the background.

Only about 15,000 were ever produced, and currently there are about 8000 left on the road. The chances of a dealership (that does NOT specialize in electrical gremlins) having a trained and experienced person for this rare platform.... LOL.

I can guarantee you that YOU are the best mechanic for these CRDs, with this forum as your ally.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

Is it possible the ground wire going to the engine has become disconnected? It attaches to a lug just behind the motor mounts bracket on the driver's side.

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat