It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with this code PO616?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:24 am 
LOST Junkie

bushtit wrote:
One of the codes that are coming up after full EGR delete, other than the obvious is the one in the subject line: PO616. It tells me it is short circuit to ground in power stage of starter. The starter works just fine, never fails. The battery is also new. Any ideas what this is all about?

What year is your CRD?

The Wiring Diagram for the 2006 CRD shows that the Glow Plug Module picks up its power from the same wire as goes directly to the Starter Motor...there may be some voltage drop there going to the Glow Plug Module at the time of the high current draw from the Starter Motor.

Check the wiring diagram for your year CRD and check the connections going to the Starter Motor, the connections on the Glow Plug module....especially the ground G100 and the wire from this G100 through the connector C111 and C114 to the Glow Plug Module and check connector C2 on the ECM. Replug all these connectors a few time with battery disconnected. Check if you get a voltage drop on the +12 volts at the Glow plug module when starting.

This above is from the 2006 CRD...may be slightly different if yours is a 2005. :?

If you have the 2006 check the harness behind the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket is not being frayed to chassis as this wire may go through this area!

Also check the recent post by Libertycrd2006 "Need some help".

Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with this code PO616?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:16 am 
LOST Junkie

bushtit wrote:
Billwill wrote:
bushtit wrote:
One of the codes that are coming up after full EGR delete, other than the obvious is the one in the subject line: PO616. It tells me it is short circuit to ground in power stage of starter. The starter works just fine, never fails. The battery is also new. Any ideas what this is all about?

What year is your CRD?

The Wiring Diagram for the 2006 CRD shows that the Glow Plug Module picks up its power from the same wire as goes directly to the Starter Motor...there may be some voltage drop there going to the Glow Plug Module at the time of the high current draw from the Starter Motor.

Check the wiring diagram for your year CRD and check the connections going to the Starter Motor, the connections on the Glow Plug module....especially the ground G100 and the wire from this G100 through the connector C111 and C114 to the Glow Plug Module and check connector C2 on the ECM. Replug all these connectors a few time with battery disconnected. Check if you get a voltage drop on the +12 volts at the Glow plug module when starting.

This above is from the 2006 CRD...may be slightly different if yours is a 2005. :?

If you have the 2006 check the harness behind the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket is not being frayed to chassis as this wire may go through this area!

Also check the recent post by Libertycrd2006 "Need some help".

Great write up, great info here Billwill, thank you for that. Much appreciated. My CRD is 2006, so I will follow what you suggested and check all the wires in those specific locations. Also, I have a new glow plugs module, which was supposed to be mounted together with new glow plugs, but for some weird reason was not. I guess the guys was running out of time at the end of the day and decided that was uncalled for. Anyways, I will change that just in case, one never knows if there is some corrosion in the old one.

I will also check that thread you mentioned, though I don't see this particular code in there. I am new to Jeep, new to CRD, new to the codes, but am certainly willing to learn, so that I have a better understanding of things and issues in the future. Cheers.

Yes change the glow plug module....what glow plugs have you put in?
I mentioned the other thread as it refers to a possible wiring damage area under a heat shield that would be worth looking at. :wink: