It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help: Looking for Timing belt tools
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got an '05 Jeep Liberty CRD that just turned 100k miles. I got a timing belt kit from ID and I was wondering if anyone had a set of tools that they would rent or wanted to sell. I really do not want to buy a set of tools for a one time job. There are several places that rent them out, but they start about $90., that seems a little expensive to me, plus they want a $700. deposit. They can't cost more than a Couple hundred dollars. There always seems that one of the pieces is stripped, bent or worn out. If anyone can help, let me know. I am in central PA. Don

Post subject: Re: Need help: Looking for Timing belt tools
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can make the pins (see http://www.beesvillebeefarm.com/jeep.html) or in the case of the flywheel pin just use a long shank 6mm/0.25" allen key (see 05 FSM) for how to and you can buy a cam holding tool like the one in the post. NOTE there is no need to pull all the front end stuff off; just carefully remove the fan and shroud as one unit; cut the bottom half of the shroud off below the mounting tabs and throw the bottom half away as it's not needed and it makes reinstall/future removal a snap. NOTE just replace front half of water pump and "O" ring; back half has no moving parts and is a pain to get at.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:28 am 
LOST Member

kk3dln wrote:
There are several places that rent them out, but they start about $90., that seems a little expensive to me, plus they want a $700. deposit. They can't cost more than a Couple hundred dollars. Don

Well.......actually the Miller timing tools are at least that expensive.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:05 am 
LOST Junkie

I feel like this was already discussed and quite a few post were deleted. I offered my tools for rent, guess op isn't interested

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:14 am 

The locking pins and / or kits can be bought at Freedom Racing and there are also some Miller tools listed on ebay....watch out for some of the chinese junk cheap stuff on ebay though... :wink:
http://www.freedomracing.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=1052

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount