It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help identify missing transmission bolts?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I've been trying to track down the source of a few oil leaks in my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD. While under the CRD it looks like two bolts are missing. These are at the bottom, passenger side of where the transmission bolts on to the engine. I seem to remember one of them being loose about a month ago, so I tightened it up. Well, looks like I should have used locktite. Can anyone tell me what size these are so I can find replacements?

Post subject: Re: Help identify missing transmission bolts?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:01 am 
LOST Newbie

More info: A 15mm socket fits the other bolts on the transmission (the head has "10.9" marked on it), and using my el cheapo micrometer, I measured the inside of the hole at (roughly) 6.5mm and depth around 20mm. I'm hoping both bolts are the same size.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If the oil leak is on the passenger/turbo side the first thing to look at would be a)oil soaked CAC hose and b) airbox to turbo hose torn on bottom just in front of turbo.

Not sure about the bolts but since the first image shows threads at the surface my guess is that's a place for a bolt that would hold something on at that location not a bolt that holds the tranny or bellhousing to the engine. Keep in mind though that just because there is a threaded hole there does not necessarily mean it was used. I'd crawl under my CRD and look but the picture is too close for me to figure out where to look.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 am 
LOST Newbie

The bolt(s) appear to be M9x20. Tried both an M8 and M10 and neither worked. I've had oil leaks since buying this Jeep. First thought it was the drain plug, so I replaced the gasket. Then learned it was a bad turbo, so the dealer had the turbo replaced. Now I'm seeing more oil leaks than before and I've not put 200 miles since getting it back from the shop. I'm about a month past the 30 day warranty so any repairs are on my dime.

Quote:
If the oil leak is on the passenger/turbo side the first thing to look at would be a)oil soaked CAC hose and b) airbox to turbo hose torn on bottom just in front of turbo.

Could I get a bit more info what these are and where I should look? I recently had the turbo replaced and it could very well be that they broke/damaged something during the repair.

If you look at where the transmission meets the engine, the two bolt (holes) in question are the first two on the passenger side as you go from the ground up. They are behind (above) the exhaust pipe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CAC=charge air cooler or intercooler hose. Runs from turbo to intercooler near upper radiator hose attachment to radiator. OEM ones tend to get saturated with oil; drip oil; eventually blow out; if not fully attached to turbo will leak oil - replace silicone hose(s)

Airbox to turbo hose tends to rot out just below where CCV hose plugs in and leak oil. OEM replacement - NOTE CCV hose has a bit of a flange on in and has to be twisted to remove from CCV hose fitting.

Turbo oil feed line can leak, it's under pressure, at the "ball and socket" attachment to block or banjo fitting on turbo.

Turbo oil return line is not under pressure but it's not impossible for it to leak at attachment to turbo and/or drip a bit at the "push" fitting to the block.

Oil cooler on block a bit forward of turbo can also leak.

When hunting oil leaks step 1 is degrease the engine.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this. I've got my work cut out for me. ;)