It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When to replace Racor 2 micron fuel filter?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:45 pm 
LOST Member

I just replaced the Chrysler 2nd gen fuel filter head with a Racor 245R122 filter and R25S 2 micron filter. The print on the filter states the filter should be replaced every 10k miles. Really?? I realize that a 2 micron filter will plug before a 10 micron filter, but 10k miles seems unnecessarily early. I changed the 10 micron WIX on the Chrysler filter head at 30k mile intervals. The OEM application for the R25S WIX equivalent (33775 - also 2 micron) is Renault and Volvo engines up to 16L. If this filter will last for 10k miles on a 16L diesel, it should last 30K miles in a 2.8L CRD.

Does any one with an export CRD that has the Racor filter factory installed know the frequency of changing the fuel filter?

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

Post subject: Re: When to replace Racor 2 micron fuel filter?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:20 pm 

I have an in-tank Carter fuel pump along with a Donaldson primary filter/water seperator of 10 microns and a secondary Donaldson filter of 2 microns on my Jeep CRD. I have a gauge plumbed to the outlet side of the secondary 2 micron filter to monitor the fuel pressure entering the CP3. If it ever drops below 10 psig on hard acceleration, that is an indicator that it is time to change filters.
I also have had a very similar setup on my 24 valve Dodge Cummins diesel for several years now and it works really great!!!
Picture:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:46 am 
LOST Member

I run a R25T 10 micron filter its good for about 25k / 30k so 2 micron 10k / 15k ???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no mileage number will be correct.

it's not filtering miles - it's filtering particles from the fuel

one bad tank of fuel can kill the filter

but if the fuel's good quality - going 15-20k miles should not be an issue

remember - the 245 is rated 45 gallons/per hour i.e. for a much larger engine than the CRD

WWDiesel has the better idea - pressure drop across the filter
(although you're looking at small pressure changes - that picture sure looks hard the read)

and if you don't have a lift pump - it needs to be a 'vacuum' gauge

at minimum though I'd recommend every Fall - i.e. if you've gotten water in the filter - it'll freeze and cause more issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I have an in-tank Carter fuel pump along with a Donaldson primary filter/water seperator of 10 microns and a secondary Donaldson filter of 2 microns on my Jeep CRD. I have a gauge plumbed to the outlet side of the secondary 2 micron filter to monitor the fuel pressure entering the CP3. If it ever drops below 10 psig on hard acceleration, that is an indicator that it is time to change filters.
I also have had a very similar setup on my 24 valve Dodge Cummins diesel for several years now and it works really great!!!
Picture:

I have a fuel pressure gauge on my 1998 Dodge Cummins 12 valve diesel, also. The CRD is my wife's vehicle. I don't think she would be too keen on having a fuel pressure gauge protruding from the cowl.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 pm 
LOST Member

ATXKJ wrote:
no mileage number will be correct.

it's not filtering miles - it's filtering particles from the fuel

one bad tank of fuel can kill the filter

but if the fuel's good quality - going 15-20k miles should not be an issue

remember - the 245 is rated 45 gallons/per hour i.e. for a much larger engine than the CRD

WWDiesel has the better idea - pressure drop across the filter
(although you're looking at small pressure changes - that picture sure looks hard the read)

and if you don't have a lift pump - it needs to be a 'vacuum' gauge

at minimum though I'd recommend every Fall - i.e. if you've gotten water in the filter - it'll freeze and cause more issues.

Thanks for the response.

I understand and agree with the statements: no mileage number will be correct. it's not filtering miles - it's filtering particles from the fuel. one bad tank of fuel can kill the filter.

I have an in-tank carter lift pump (see my signature for CRD modifications)

I am assuming reasonably clean fuel. I think I will target changing the fuel filter every 18k miles - every third oil change.

I am still curious to know the recommended fuel filter change interval for the export CRDs with the factory installed Racor filter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:29 am 
LOST Junkie

I try to get 50k out of mine and have but one bad batch of fuel can prevent that from happening. Went thru 3 filters on a tank several years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:49 am 
LOST Member

I do around 10000 km fuel filter changes.
Regardless of the absolute value of your filter (I too run the Racor 2 micron) it is about keeping the very tightest of components super squeaky clean.

From memory, numerous articles in a 4wd publication of some merit here have indicated a consensus of the Australian diesel gurus dealing with CRD fuel filters and the 4wd industry that [b]ALL[/b] should be replaced at 10-20 000km (20 000 km being the maximum recommendation as I recall) for engine and particularly injector longevity. These points have been reiterated numerous times since CRD's became so prevalent.

The gauge is dandy. I have one fitted too (but slightly differently) mainly for diagnosis in the case of power loss.

Common rail diesel injection means fuel at pressure being primed up to the injectors all the time. It MUST be absolutely micron clean. It depends on your driving conditions....how soon after the garage in-ground tanks have been filled (allowing for settling of stirred up muck) etc.

I have at least one photo I could probably find that would amaze anyone of what a bad infestation of what diesel bug affected fuel looks like. Remembering that damage is being done by particles at extreme pressures 20 K psi ? are abrasive and their main dimension is hopefully for us <0.00000787" (to round it off).

Several articles have drawn attention to the close tolerances in piezo type injectors used in all marques and issues with sullied fuel systems and the resultant potential for catastrophic failure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 pm 
LOST Member

Auberon wrote:
I do around 10000 km fuel filter changes.
Regardless of the absolute value of your filter (I too run the Racor 2 micron) it is about keeping the very tightest of components super squeaky clean.

From memory, numerous articles in a 4wd publication of some merit here have indicated a consensus of the Australian diesel gurus dealing with CRD fuel filters and the 4wd industry that ALL should be replaced at 10-20 000km (20 000 km being the maximum recommendation as I recall) for engine and particularly injector longevity. These points have been reiterated numerous times since CRD's became so prevalent.

The gauge is dandy. I have one fitted too (but slightly differently) mainly for diagnosis in the case of power loss.

Common rail diesel injection means fuel at pressure being primed up to the injectors all the time. It MUST be absolutely micron clean. It depends on your driving conditions....how soon after the garage in-ground tanks have been filled (allowing for settling of stirred up muck) etc.

I have at least one photo I could probably find that would amaze anyone of what a bad infestation of what diesel bug affected fuel looks like. Remembering that damage is being done by particles at extreme pressures 20 K psi ? are abrasive and their main dimension is hopefully for us <0.00000787" (to round it off).

Several articles have drawn attention to the close tolerances in piezo type injectors used in all marques and issues with sullied fuel systems and the resultant potential for catastrophic failure.

OK......you've convinced me. I'll change the fuel filter every other oil change - 12,000 miles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 pm 

Read these two articles, its an eye opener on fuel contamination and the need for better filtration in today's modern diesel engine... :wink:

Both are PDF's so you will need Adobe Reader to view.
http://nicktane.com/images/HDT_article_10-10-03.pdf
http://nicktane.com/images/February%20HDT%20Fuel%20Article%20Part%20II.pdf

Good reading to understand the subject... 8)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:05 am 
LOST Member

Is the OEM filter 15 microns ???