It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If you have never heard your Turbo Spool up
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you have never heard the sound of your Turbo spool up, then you need to use this.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Medic-Gunk ... B002SEJMEG.

http://www.motormedic.com/

What a difference, the junk that flowed out of the pan was thick black. 5 minute motor flush.

Known to release sticky valves and rings.

Follow the directions on the bottle.

My new to me Green Monster Jeep Liberty CRD with 50,000 original miles on it, needed new rockers, lifters, exhaust and intake cams, due to the PO hardly ever changing the motor oil. The pan had accumulated deposits that were just resting there, the CRD had been sitting for 5 years, it wasn't running when got it. I cleaned the top end pretty good but the lower end was still dirty.

To get the motor oil clean, I needed to clear the the crankcase of the sludge so I changed the oil. But that didn't help, the oil was still dark and dirty after driving it for 300 miles. So I decided that I would change the oil every 300 miles with conventional turbo diesel oil 5 or six times.

Now the turbo code showed up, so I decided to use the Motor Medic Synthetic Turbo Diesel engine flush to see if it helped. The difference is fenominal and although the last oil change was clean.... the oil was super black and thick after using the enine flush.

What a sweet sounding turbo and the code is gone.

Run it for 5 minutes, may clear stiction too.

Post subject: Re: If you have never heard your Turbo Spool up
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:07 am 
LOST Addict

I've used Seafoam on other cars before and it seemed to help a bit. My wife's 2009 Legacy seemed to like it but my 2007 legacy GT had like 3500 mile OCIs so it was always clean.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:46 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for the tip. Do you know what is in this product? Many motor flushes are simply repackaged kerosene! Only had sludge once in my life and I fixed it by replacing one quart of oil with kerosene and let vehicle idle for 10-15 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:08 am 
LOST Addict

Drewd wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Do you know what is in this product? Many motor flushes are simply repackaged kerosene! Only had sludge once in my life and I fixed it by replacing one quart of oil with kerosene and let vehicle idle for 10-15 minutes.

I know seafoam is some kinda light hydrocarbons, like naphtha or something. I believe It does thin out the oil but they do say to just let the engine idle while parked for a while as opposed to driving around with it in there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't know what's in it...

But could valve stiction be the cause of the problems we are experiencing.

Diesel engines are known to create stiction in injectors, how about valve guides and rockers.

I did a study on broken rockers. I had 65 broken rockers and lifters sent to me by members who experienced catostrophic engine malfuntion due to trashed rockers and lifters. In approximately 30% of the broken rockers the roller bearings were fused and didn't roll. The roller bearing looked intact but they didn't move, the needle rollers were stuck. Using diesel fuel and other off the shelf solvents such as toluene soaking in a can, released them allowing movement again.

http://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/sticti ... el-engine/

Seafoam didn't help, that was the first solvent I tried.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 am 

Adding a friction modifier to the engine oil could help smaller items like rockers, cam to rocker wear surfaces, needle bearings, etc... and anywhere metal parts touch each other. Marvel Mystery oil is one excellent example. :wink:
In the Fleet Equipment article, they talk about adding a friction modifier additive to the engine oil to help control stiction in the fuel injectors which I fail to see how adding it to the engine oil could possibly help the injectors! :shock:
Adding a friction modifier additive to diesel fuel, I understand how that can help increase the lubricity of the fuel passing through the injectors and thus protect the injectors from stiction. That is why some owners like myself add 2 cycle oil and Diesel Kleen or Stanadyne additives to their fuel at every fill up!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:31 am 
LOST Addict

http://www.rscbrands.com/products/msds/MFD1.PDF

Thats the MSDS. Looks like a mix of light(naptha) and heavy hydrocarbons as well as some ethanol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have been interested in and been doing some research on NMF Ionic Friction reducer. Theory sounds good... http://gonmf.com/#bclb

In theory it cancels out the electrical charge that metal-on-metal friction creates.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:33 pm 
LOST Addict

As far as I know, "sticktion" only applies to some PowerStroke engines that use high pressure engine oil (HPEO injectors) to actuate the injectors. This is why certain additives are added to the engine oil to reduce sticktion.

With the CRD rocker arms, IMO proper engine oil plays a big role. But there may be other factors.
1. the rocker arms only receive splash lubrication. For vehicles that only get driven a few miles a day, that may not be enough time for clean oil to get flushed through the roller bearings.
2. the EGR valve adds additional soot to the combustion process making the oil more abrasive. Diesel engines already add a significant amount of soot to the oil and the EGR just makes it worse.
3. I think there were some bad batches of parts associated with the assembly of these engines from the factory.
(rocker arms, cylinder heads, valves, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:04 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:

With the CRD rocker arms, IMO proper engine oil plays a big role. But there may be other factors.
1. the rocker arms only receive splash lubrication. For vehicles that only get driven a few miles a day, that may not be enough time for clean oil to get flushed through the roller bearings.

Interesting...........

I have noticed that with Mobil1 TDT 5W40 that the splash lubrication amount is insane . It is spraying oil hard and fast everywhere , compared to when I got the crd last year and the valves failed. (Rollers seized) previous owner used Euro oil and did short daily drives in city and some camping trips with a trailer.

I drive WOT (100-120KM/H every day and that engine gets hot and we'll used. When I shut down the engine , there is a 10-15 sec roar of sucking air as the turbo spools down. When I bought it there was nothing like that, and the valve train was a lot louder.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bushman5 wrote:
I have noticed that with Mobil1 TDT 5W40 that the splash lubrication amount is insane . It is spraying oil hard and fast everywhere

How exactly did you perform that test..... how were you able to inspect the splash... did you have the cover off? While you were in the engine, were you able to check the needle pin roller bearings on the rockers for movement, did the bearings move freely, were any of them seized?

I am not talking about sludge forming in the engine impeding oil flow thru tight passages, but instead I am pointing to something else that could be the cause of trashed rockers, restricting valve movement in the valve guide possibly snapping valves. I am pointing to "Stiction" which is formed in turbo diesels no matter what type of oil is used and no matter how clean the oil is.

My question is ..... could stition be the cause of valves and rockers failing. Could the combination of hot emissions gasses mixing with motor oil be the casue of stiction around moving parts in our engines.

Just a thought to ponder, since the Ford pick ups are experiencing heavy stiction problems with injectors. I would like to hear more from those people who are knowledgeable with engine lubrication, or engineers who have experience with this in general.

If stiction happens with super heated injectors bathed in oil, can it also happen with super heated valve guides and roller bearings bathed in oil?

Could stiction be another reason for faulures with our turbo diesel engines?

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:05 am 
LOST Member

My coworker solved his injector stiction problem in his powerstroke by adding Militec1 to his fuel and oil. Before that he was replacing injectors frequently.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bushman5 wrote:
My coworker solved his injector stiction problem in his powerstroke by adding Militec1 to his fuel and oil. Before that he was replacing injectors frequently.

What powerstroke? The older ones used engine oil to inject the fuel so i could see where adding something to its engine oil would help.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:21 pm 
LOST Member

diesel_guy86 wrote:
Bushman5 wrote:

What powerstroke? The older ones used engine oil to inject the fuel so i could see where adding something to its engine oil would help.