It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Purchasing a second hand 2003 Liberty KJ.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi,

I'm new here, so Hi! If I've posted in the wrong section I am sorry, and you are welcome to make me aware or move my post.

I've recently been shopping to purchase my very first 4x4 and have been searching for quite awhile and (somehow) only recently learnt about the KJ Liberty and it suits my criteria perfectly it would seem! This is as I will be living in the city very soon but still want a vehicle I can take out in the bush on the weekends. To clear something up really quick, I am Australian planning to purchase a KJ Cherokee but decided here is the right place to post.

I am looking to purchase a 2003 Jeep KJ Cherokee (Liberty) 2.8L CRD with 130,000 miles on the clock with no service history. Over here in Australia the vehicle is well priced and has been deemed "Road Worthy" already meaning it passes all the required tests. It it at a price that even if I were to spend $1500 on it, I would still be ahead.

The vehicle has higher miles than other KJ Cherokees around but is quite a bit cheaper, has all the luxury options and is black in color. I'll be test driving the vehicle before purchase. My question is what things should I test, look out for or should I steer clear away when purchasing a 2003 Jeep Cherokee? Any resources or comments are appreciated.

Kind regards

Post subject: Re: Purchasing a second hand 2003 Liberty KJ.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:31 am 
LOST Member

JoshHat wrote:
Hi,

I'm new here, so Hi! If I've posted in the wrong section I am sorry, and you are welcome to make me aware or move my post.

I've recently been shopping to purchase my very first 4x4 and have been searching for quite awhile and (somehow) only recently learnt about the KJ Liberty and it suits my criteria perfectly it would seem! This is as I will be living in the city very soon but still want a vehicle I can take out in the bush on the weekends. To clear something up really quick, I am Australian planning to purchase a KJ Cherokee but decided here is the right place to post.

I am looking to purchase a 2003 Jeep KJ Cherokee (Liberty) 2.8L CRD with 130,000 miles on the clock with no service history. Over here in Australia the vehicle is well priced and has been deemed "Road Worthy" already meaning it passes all the required tests. It it at a price that even if I were to spend $1500 on it, I would still be ahead.

The vehicle has higher miles than other KJ Cherokees around but is quite a bit cheaper, has all the luxury options and is black in color. I'll be test driving the vehicle before purchase. My question is what things should I test, look out for or should I steer clear away when purchasing a 2003 Jeep Cherokee? Any resources or comments are appreciated.

Kind regards

The KJ CRDs are good vehicles, but your statement of "no service history" is concerning. The first thing that nearly every one here will ask is "do you know when the timing belt was changed?"

The Timing belt is a major concern, as this is an interference engine. With 130K miles on the OD, if you're on the original, it's a bloody miracle the engine hasn't grenaded. On the upside, if it does grenade, it is more likely than not that the damage will be contained to the rocker arms. Occasionally, there will be a bent valve. Also good news: the replacement rockers are inexpensive, relatively speaking. I'd ordered a set last year via eBay UK, and they cost me about $225 USD with postage, IIRC.

It likely has been changed, but you *really* need to find out when.

As most of us here are Americans, we only were able to get the 2005 & 2006 KJ CRDs. Very few of us have a level of familiarity with the earlier models.

As a matter of fact, I was unaware that the 2.8L was available in 2003; I'd thought that was a 2.5L CRD for those years.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

Post subject: Re: Purchasing a second hand 2003 Liberty KJ.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:47 am 
LOST Junkie

What rixram said^^^

I also thought that the Export CRDs only got the 2.8 motor....with auto box only...in about 2004.
ABS and rear disks instead of drums also came out a Standard in 2003.
If you have the manual 5 speed box...check if you have the Limited Slip Rear Diff option (Tracloc). This should have a label on the rear axle if it is there...should say "4.10 Tracloc". This has a bad reputation but as long as you put in the Mopar Friction Additive when you replace the Diff oil....85W90 non-synthetic or 85W140 if you tow a lot...then the Tracloc is OK.

Check if you have "full time 4X4" transfer case fitted..this is the Selec Trac Transfer case and you can drive with Part time engaged all the time if you choose such as dusty roads or wet roads. If you only have "Part Time 4X4" option then this is the Command Trac Tansfer case and you can only use 4X4 Hi or Lo mode for short periods at low speed in very loose conditions ie. deep dust. Check if there is an Owner's Manual hiding horizontaly inside the glovebox.

Most definitely have the timing belt replaced immediately...big trouble if it breaks!
The Export specs are to replace the belt every 100 k mile or 160 k kms although I replace mine at 100 kms.
Also age is a problem with the belt...needs to be replaced around about every 6 or 7 years no matter the mileage....I do not travel much and recently had my belt changed after about 36 k Kms but was about 7 years old!

Also the Serpentine Belt needs to be replaced at the same age....check the bearings on the Tensioner Roller and the two idle Rollers....the bearings can be punched out and replaced with new SKF or Timken bearings of the same dimension...idle Assembly needs rivets drilled out to remove the bearing and replace with M 5 bolts, nuts and Locktight.

Check there is not a lot of red "rust" dust on the front of the Alternator Pulley...this means that the Alternator De-coupler pulley or one-way pulley is about to fail. You can replace it with a new one...try to get the greased, sealed Litens Decoupler which lasts longer. You need special tools to replace this pulley but you can make up tools.

Are you on http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/ ? this is the best place for our Export models and they cover the replacement of the Alternator Decoupler pulley in great detail as well as everything else.

They also give you this link to the various years of Liberties/Cherrokees. The most important thing to download is the section "2.4_2.8 Export Diesel" as it covers our 2.5/2.8 CRD engines better than the 2005/6 models in the USA and in the Export market....also download the 2003 KJ Service Manual which covers the rest of the Jeep but engine is for USA models with variable vane Turbo and other changes. :wink:

Download here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ