It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GDE or Weeks kit?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi I bought my 05 crd new and have been getting around 17-20 mpg until I found this forum where I learned a few things. After cleaning the map sensor last week my hwy mileage went up to 30 mpg. Now I'm considering the weeks stage 1 and 2 or the Green diesel engineering eco tune.
I just did the orm mod and was wondering what is the difference between the orm and the gde tune or weeks mod, don't they all three do the same of disablaling the egr?

Thanks in advance and thank you for this great forum
Sergio in Miami Fl

Post subject: Re: Advice in mods
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:42 pm 

Just a tune by itself only functionally disables the EGR, it cannot stop one from leaking by. The only sure way to completely disable the EGR and ensure no leakby of any kind is to remove the whole system with a Weeks elbow kit and install a block off plate in the EGR exhaust feed tube which comes with the kit!
(dimensions for just an EGR exhaust tube block off plate can be found on this forum if you do not want to remove the FCV [flow control valve]).
Most opt to install the Weeks elbow kit as it is the best all-around solution for several reasons including Glow Plug access, plus gets rid of all that extra junk off your motor along with several potential coolant hoses that could leak. :D

If you install the Weeks elbow kit, you still need to install a tune to disable the DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes/check engine light) that will be triggered by unplugging and removing both the EGR valve and the FCV elbow... The tune does away with the items in the OBC so you have no DTCs...
There are FREE do-it-yourself tunes available on this forum that you can read up on and install yourself. :wink:
All you have to have is a laptop computer and buy a MPPS cable off ebay or the internet...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: GDE or Weeks kit?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Comments:
1. read SirSam's NOOB guide
2. ORM (e.g. unplugging the MAF) will turn the EGR off but will throw a CEL unless you get one of the free ECU tunes that turn that CEL off.
3. the Weeks Stage 1 and 2 kits will delete IIRC the EGR and associated hardware but as above will throw a CEL absent a tune.
4. a GDE tune (Eco is good) will defeat a CEL from 2 and/or 3 above. That said if you do the GDE tune only it will essentially turn the EGR off with no CEL and in addition do a variety of other good things for the vehicle to reduce soot, improve power, and mpg.

So if you want cheap do #1 if you want to spend $s the choice is between 3 and 4 in which case do 4 IMHO. Note with 4 you can disconnect the coolant hoses to the EGR and remove that coolant leak point. Note if you have to install new glow plugs either get Weeks Stage 1 kit or when you reinstall the OEM intake elbow do it with studs and nuts not bolts. If money is no object do 3 and 4.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:03 pm 
LOST Addict

IMO, total deletion or complete blocking of the EGR valve is necessary for this engine.
Sasquatch sells the deletion parts. Block off plates can be found on eBay.

The Sasquatch kits offer the advantage of removing the errant parts and making the glow plugs easier to access. Then you have the option of loading a "free" DIY tune into the ECM to counter the resulting trouble codes.

OTOH, the GDE tune provides (at a price) a high quality, proven tune that maximizes engine performance.

So, figure out which method works best for you at mechanically disabling the EGR, then decide which tune you want to use.

(If you decide to get the blocking plates off eBay, get two of them)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I'm in South Florida these days, so if you want / need local help with this (and have you replaced the timing belt yet?) I am around.

FYI: Mileage no longer matters on the timing belts, they have *all* aged out and are approaching TWICE the suggested age limit. If your timing belt has not been done, you are very much on borrowed time!

For my money, the best solution is the Weeks elbow kit and either the cheap tune (I can install this for you) or the GDE tune which offers many more benefits and refinements.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:32 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
Comments:
Note if you have to install new glow plugs either get Weeks Stage 1 kit or when you reinstall the OEM intake elbow do it with studs and nuts not bolts. If money is no object do 3 and 4.

You happen to have the part number for those studs and bolts? Save me some time at the hardware store and ill just order them online.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
There isn't a part number as such, you just take the bolt and match it up with a suitable replacement stud and nut instead. I think IDparts might sell them separately, but it should be an M6x1.0 thread spec, and about 1.75-2 inches long. The nut should end up being a 10mm to match that spec.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank Y'all for your help this a great friendly forum.
With the help of a forum member we decided to go with the weeks stage 1 and engine tune I'm also replacing timing belt and glow plugs.
Thanks again guys for your advice.

Sergio