It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD lost all power
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I pulled out of a parking lot and tried to accelerate today and the rig just started loosing all power. I had to stop at a light and it ideled really rough! I put the transmission in neutral and it ideled very rough still. It would barley run when I pressed on the accelerator until the rpm got to around 3000 then it ran smoothly. I tried this several times with the same result.

The light turned green and I pulled into the nearest parking lot, I popped the hood and the motor was idling very rough and shaking badly. I turned it off and restarted, same issue. I waited about two minutes and it started right up and is running normal.

I didn't trip the engine light or produce an engine code, any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: CRD lost all power
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Similar reports show up from time to time including mine. Might be a bubble of air in the fuel that "passed" might be who knows. Most all reports say after going back to running fine the event does not happen again.

Might bleed your fuel filter and if it has not been changed in a while consider changing it. May not help but won't hurt.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, I just picked up a new fuel filter and planned on replacing it tonight with a bleed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:51 am 
LOST Member

Honestly the best way to get rid of this is by doing the in tank pump mod. This happened to me before on the old head, then on the new. In tank has fixed all that and a very easy weekend job.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:13 am 
LOST Addict

This could also be a random issue with the ecm losing the crank/cam syncronization. We have seen this happen before and a full power down of the ecm resets it. Chrysler wiring has issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the replies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey, AClakey what you described about yours is kind of what mine has been doing too. I posted as mine as rough idle, but it will sometimes do it at a stop too. it's been hard to pin point because it hasn't done it constantly. Keep us posted if you find out what it is.. I've done the in tank pump and it has a new crank sensor so i might try the cam sensor just because.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
This could also be a random issue with the ecm losing the crank/cam syncronization. We have seen this happen before and a full power down of the ecm resets it. Chrysler wiring has issues.

This explains a lot

although we typically blamed it on air-in-fuel because there was always some air in the fuel

but it didn't always cause a problem

and if you just magically turned it off - count to 10 and it starts again - no problem...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 pm 
LOST Member

Had the same issue a few weeks ago.
Same deal, running fine, park for several minutes, restart and running poorly all of a sudden a few minutes after the restart.
Pull over with fingers crossed that I'm not about to lose a valve or glow plug, and it magically self-heals.
I'm starting to get concerned that my luck is running out.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

ACLakey, did you ever figure out what was causing your jeep to be acting up like you described?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
crasher wrote:
Had the same issue a few weeks ago.
Same deal, running fine, park for several minutes, restart and running poorly all of a sudden a few minutes after the restart.
Pull over with fingers crossed that I'm not about to lose a valve or glow plug, and it magically self-heals.
I'm starting to get concerned that my luck is running out.

The loss of a valve is not something that you can predict or drive away from... It will stop the engine quite readily.

As the research is progressing, it is looking more and more like the stock available valves will be the best option for a reasonable cost, and will deliver at least the same 150-200k lifespan that the originals have currently done. The results of the scientific testing will tell us if the stock replacements are the same or even possibly better than the factory originals too. Those results are still pending.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:29 pm 
LOST Member

my 06 is turning 222,222 miles :) , knock on wood , running fine so far , but is has been running without egr for most of it's life and a bigger oil filter and at least 5w - 30w oil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mine has does this about 2-3 times a year since new. It only does it within a 1/2 mile of startup and a shutdown and restart has usually fixed the issue.

I've always blamed it on fuel in the line but not sure how a shutdown resolves a fuel issue.