It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Check TPM System error help?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Need some help with TPMS errors going on that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

The TPM/EVIC system I have displays the pressure of each of the 4 tires. In the past, when the spare went low, a specific message "Spare tire low" is displayed. I have another set of factory jeep rims and winter tires with TPMS sensors, and whenever I change them over the system is seamless and seems to just pick up the new set of sensors without a peep.

A couple of weeks ago the yellow TPM dash light started flashing and Check TPM System came up on the EVIC. Checked the readout and only the front right tire showed pressure. The other 3 locations displayed "--" in the readout. I kept driving it like this and sometimes the front left would display a pressure, and sometimes not.

I decided to replace all 4 sensors last night with Dorman 974-001 sensors from rockauto. Took it for a ride and it lost the trusty front right, and all 4 showed "--". Figured it would set itself straight.

Took it to work today and now along with all 4 tires being "--", the Spare Tire Low message is now displayed! It's getting worse! And the yellow TPM light is solid now.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here?

Mishimoto hoses
Weeks Stage1+2
Yeti stage 2 ECM
GDE ECO TCM
FTC billet TC
Transgo kit
no mech fan
Cummins lift pump
2.5" catback
OME 790/948 springs
JBA top plate and UCAs
2 upper rear insulators
Bilstein 24-139168 front 24-186704 rear
255/70R16
1.25" wheelspacers
SkidRow engine plate

Post subject: Re: Check TPM System error help?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

On my 2005 crd, I changed out a sensor and after about one week, it started working! (right front) I always have had the spare tire low warning . After reading everything I could find about it, I learn the spare tire must have the sensor ID programmed by the dealer for $65.00. My understanding to date is that any time a different wheel/sensor is installed as a spare tire it needs to have the new sensor ID programmed. Today, I called about 4 dealers here in Phoenix and non of them knew anything about it except bring it in for $65 to $105 to have it checked out. It appears newer jeeps don't have this problem. So far,, I have not found a programmer to do this without taking out a bank loan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:12 pm 
LOST Member

Phx flyer wrote:
On my 2005 crd, I changed out a sensor and after about one week, it started working! (right front) I always have had the spare tire low warning . After reading everything I could find about it, I learn the spare tire must have the sensor ID programmed by the dealer for $65.00. My understanding to date is that any time a different wheel/sensor is installed as a spare tire it needs to have the new sensor ID programmed. Today, I called about 4 dealers here in Phoenix and non of them knew anything about it except bring it in for $65 to $105 to have it checked out. It appears newer jeeps don't have this problem. So far,, I have not found a programmer to do this without taking out a bank loan.

Just for the sake of people who web-search this and read it years from now:
I replaced all 5 valve stems on my '06 CRD this passed spring/early summer ('16) with new DORMAN 974001 stems, and had it checked by about a half dozen tire shops and dealerships.
The dash light is still on, and the EVIC always says my spare is low, no matter which wheel/tire is on the spare hanger.

All 5 have been repeatedly tested and proved to be transmitting correct data. Tire pressure has been varied up and down, and all the voodoo steps have been observed.
Countless chickens have been sacrificed.

I get a lot of shrugs from service personal at all the shops.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:18 am 

Have you tried a DCJ dealer?
I had to have one replaced a couple years ago when the tire dealer broke one sensor on the tire machine, they replaced it with a VDO TPMS. The instructions stated the vehicle would pick it up after driving around for a bit, but after two weeks of driving, it never did. :roll:

I took it to the local DCJ dealer and they used their DRBIII tool in conjunction with and another hand held tool and programed it along with checking all the others for proper communication....
Been working perfect ever since!!!! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I had to replace one in a WJ Overland I leased from 04-08, so I have no idea if its the same system or not.
Each sensor was coded for a given position on the vehicle, and if the tires were rotated, it did not update on the vehicle.
When I did have to replace one, I decided to re-program them, and it involved setting the vehicle into programming mode, having access to each of the TPM modules, and when the vehicle prompted which corner it was programming, to press a program button on the tpm, then the vehicle would honk to indicate it was programmed. It never did it on it's own.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just to be somewhat clearer:
1. the domestic (US and I presume Canada) KJs use a different frequency transmitter and receiver on the TPMS system than the export KJs. A domestic wheel stem sensor will not be "seen" by an export receiver.
2. prior to 05, I'm not sure how much prior, wheel stem sensors had to be "trained" to the position they were in and retrained if moved. Training involved a scan tool and/or a magnet.
3. the FSM notwithstanding 05/06 models and later wheel stem sensors do NOT require retraining. If the stem sensor(s) are acceptable model(s) when one moves tire(s) or replaces sensor(s) the system should, on its own, learn the new tire positions within 5-10 miles and report to the instrument cluster and/or EVIC correctly. That's the way it worked on both my 05s and my son's 06.
4. if self learning does not happen could be bad sensors, improper sensors, bad receiver, etc.

Just a reminder the wheel stem sensors are battery powered and batteries do not last forever. Word I've seen is 7 years is average but range is 5-12. My original 05s are still find but my son's 06s died a couple of years ago.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:12 am 
LOST Member

I just had some work done to the Jeep: JBA's silver 2.5 inch lift kit and UCAs.

One of the things I asked them to look at while it was there was the above mentioned 'Spare Tire Low' message I get on my EVIC.
The answer they finally came up with after looking at it and calling around was that the individual valve-stem assemblies each have a unique identifying number printed on the unit and programmed into it. This number 'needs' to be recorded at installation/replacement and programmed into the Jeeps computer for identification.

I had the valves installed at a location (Virginia Tire and Auto in the north Virginia area west of Washington DC) a few months ago, and I just had new tires installed at Sam's Club last week, and both instances would have been ideal times to have looked for and recorded the 'serial number' on each one.

I'm thinking this would be more widely known and disseminated if it was the Gospels according to Jeep.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:48 am 

Some say the TP sensors are supposed to learn new positions and / or sensors within x miles and report the signal to the instrument cluster and the EVIC.
That would be real nice if it were always the case, but unfortunately it is not as some on here have attested to.

I drove mine around for over two weeks and 25 + miles with a newly installed *VDO sensor and it never did pick up the signal.
(*Note: VDO was also the OEM sensor brand, they looked identical)

The offending tire dealer who broke the TPS on their tire machine tried to make the new one work with their equipment to no avail! Then they told me to just drive it around for a while and it would eventually pick it up on its own, it never did!!! :roll:

In my case of replacing one bad TPS, it ended up requiring it to be programed by a former DCJ dealer mechanic friend using the DRBIII tool and another hand held device that reads each sensor's frequency or ID number individually at each wheel's location and then allows it to be programed into the OBC using the DRBIII...I watched him perform this operation which only took him a few minutes to perform! Been working perfect ever since!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:26 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Some say the TP sensors are supposed to learn new positions and / or sensors within x miles and report the signal to the instrument cluster and the EVIC.
That would be real nice if it were always the case, but unfortunately it is not as some on here have attested to.

I drove mine around for over two weeks and 25 + miles with a newly installed *VDO sensor and it never did pick up the signal.
(*Note: VDO was also the OEM sensor brand, they looked identical)

The offending tire dealer who broke the TPS on their tire machine tried to make the new one work with their equipment to no avail! Then they told me to just drive it around for a while and it would eventually pick it up on its own, it never did!!! :roll:

In my case of replacing one bad TPS, it ended up requiring it to be programed by a former DCJ dealer mechanic friend using the DRBIII tool and another hand held device that reads each sensor's frequency or ID number individually at each wheel's location and then allows it to be programed into the OBC using the DRBIII...I watched him perform this operation which only took him a few minutes to perform! Been working perfect ever since!

I'll run it by a different dealer after Christmas, and see if they have your luck.
Thnx.

Merry Christmas to all.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.