It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Alternator, ETC?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had those same two MIL lights illuminate and it ended up being a bad alternator. Had a new alternator installed and everything worked great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just finished putting a new head on my crd. It started right up. But now I'm having some trouble with a u0146 gateway A code. I checked and rechecked every connector and they all seem good. I pulled the fcm and it only has the top connector plugged in. For anyone else that has pulled this module, were both connectors plugged in or just the one?

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:19 pm 
LOST Addict

I dont know what code scanner you are using but usually the U codes are false flags.
Ive seen them too. They never go away and there is exactly zero info about what they mean.
So, without a tangible problem there is no way to know what to do about them.

BTW, why did you need to replace the head?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:06 pm 

Locked KJ wrote:
Just finished putting a new head on my crd. It started right up. But now I'm having some trouble with a u0146 gateway A code. I checked and rechecked every connector and they all seem good. I pulled the fcm and it only has the top connector plugged in. For anyone else that has pulled this module, were both connectors plugged in or just the one?

U0146 – Data bus: gateway A- no communication (front gateway issue)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the quick response guys.

To answer your question flash7210. I had to replace the head because it was burning coolant. When I pulled it to change the head gasket I brought the head to a machine shop to bench test it, check it for warping etc. It turns out the casting was porous.

So the problem I'm having now Is the trans only has 2nd and 3rd gear. Some kind of limp mode. Also some new codes. Which are...

P1140 manufacturer controlled fuel and air metering
P0683 glow plug/heater module comm problem
U0146 lost comm with gateway A
Also P0403 egr flow circuit malfunction but I was expecting that one until I do a gde tune as the egr is gone now

I was thinking something didn't get plugged in upon reassembly. But I've checked good and hard and can't find anything. Also the engine seems to be running great. I figure the p1140 would make it run crappy.

I pulled the gateway A (aka fcm) yesterday to check the connections and only the bigger plug was in and I don't see another plug near it. I was wondering if both are supposed to be plugged in. Maybe that could be my problem. I was wondering if anyone else pulled this unit in an 05 and if they had both connectors plugged in

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:05 am 
LOST Addict

P1140 is for the FCV and is totally related to your EGR deletion.
You can resolve this by writing one of the DIY tunes to your ECM.
(See crd tech section)

P0683 could mean a bad glow plug relay or a wiring fault in the circuit.

The transmission limp mode could absolutly be caused by a bad FCM gateway module. But just to be sure, check your connections to the TCM and transmission.
(Im surprised you are not also getting a p0700 code)

Also, did they say exactly where the head was leaking?
And were you using the inline thermostat mod?
My head was cracked around the exhaust valve seats.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

The head was leaking around intake valve #3 and exhaust valve #2. It had a factory thermostat on it.

I bought the jeep in April and have yet to put 100 miles on it. Every time I fix something there's another problem. Unfortunately I didn't have any of these codes before I put the new head on it.

I don't even have a computer to be able to rewrite my ecu. I was just gonna drive it with whatever codes the egr/fcv delete created until I can beef up the t/c and trans for an ecu tune.

The glow plugs were working fine with no codes before ( other than a bad #1) I don't recall the code for that. I was gonna replace them anyway and did so with 4 new bosch 5v when the new head was on my bench ( it had 5v and the bosch controller in it already).

I have already unplugged the tcm connector again and it looked good so I carefully reseated and tightened it up. I'm gonna have to get under there and look for the trans connector(s). If that's all good I guess I'm gonna have to see about a new fcm gateway module. Thanks again for the help

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:16 am 
LOST Junkie

The Wiring Diagram for the FCM only shows one connector with 24 pins. :?

The other slot may be for test purposes...best if someone who owns a 2005 CRD can have a look at their FCM to see if there should actually be two plugs connected.

Best to check for ground on pin 24 and +5 volts on pin 16 before replacing the FCM!

The 2005 CRD appears to be the only model world-wide that used a FCM....dropped on the 2006 CRD! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info Billwill. Man, help all the way from South Africa. That's awesome! I have the fsm downloaded on my phone. But I am terrible at reading wiring diagrams and the phone doesn't make reading it any easier

I'll have a decent amount of time on Sunday to really get back into it. I'm gonna pull the connector off of the front control module again and test for the ground and the voltage. I'm guessing "key on, engine off" to get the 5 volts? Or does it need to be running?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Billwill wrote:
The Wiring Diagram for the FCM only shows one connector with 24 pins. :?

The other slot may be for test purposes...best if someone who owns a 2005 CRD can have a look at their FCM to see if there should actually be two plugs connected.

Best to check for ground on pin 24 and +5 volts on pin 16 before replacing the FCM!

The 2005 CRD appears to be the only model world-wide that used a FCM....dropped on the 2006 CRD! :wink:

The 2006 CRD has a gateway but it is integrated with the fuse box on the driver's side of the instrument panel. This differs from the '05 where it was located in the engine compartment up front on the frame rail.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:26 am 
LOST Junkie

MrMopar64 wrote:

The 2006 CRD has a gateway but it is integrated with the fuse box on the driver's side of the instrument panel. This differs from the '05 where it was located in the engine compartment up front on the frame rail.

Thanks for that information.....first time I had heard of that! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Locked KJ wrote:
Thanks for the info Billwill. Man, help all the way from South Africa. That's awesome! I have the fsm downloaded on my phone. But I am terrible at reading wiring diagrams and the phone doesn't make reading it any easier

I'll have a decent amount of time on Sunday to really get back into it. I'm gonna pull the connector off of the front control module again and test for the ground and the voltage. I'm guessing "key on, engine off" to get the 5 volts? Or does it need to be running?

You might find the voltage and ground on the disconnected connector with only ignition ON but the best way to test any signals around the vehicle is to tie a small pin or needle onto the end of your one meter probe and leave the connector in place while piecing the insulation on the required wires with the pin. The holes can be patched up with glue later.

Then with engine running you can check for the +5 volts with respect to ground and check the ground pin with respect to positive terminal on the battery. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I got a chance to put the meter on the jeep today. Think I've narrowed it down to being the front control module. Ran into something a little odd though. I was checking for continuity in all of the data lines between computers. Pin #5 in the fcm connector is supposed to have a wht/gry (d21) wire going to it for sci transmit. That wire is not there nor is there a pin in the connector for it. This is a common data line that goes to pin 15 in the dlc. It links the ecm, tcm and anti-lock brake controller. That wire exists in all of those computers and ohmed out fine.

Curious if any one could possibly put the eyes on the connector for their fcm.The pinout shows 14 wires but mine only has 13. As the wht/gry (pin #5) is missing.

I even pulled the loom apart to peak inside.

Also I do have a solid ground and 5v in pin #24 and #16 respectively

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new fcm. Just wondering if that mystery wire could be an issue. To me it seems like that wire is only for the scan tool use and the two can bus lines and pci bus line should actually be comm between computers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:17 am 
LOST Junkie

Locked KJ wrote:
So I got a chance to put the meter on the jeep today. Think I've narrowed it down to being the front control module. Ran into something a little odd though. I was checking for continuity in all of the data lines between computers. Pin #5 in the fcm connector is supposed to have a wht/gry (d21) wire going to it for sci transmit. That wire is not there nor is there a pin in the connector for it. This is a common data line that goes to pin 15 in the dlc. It links the ecm, tcm and anti-lock brake controller. That wire exists in all of those computers and ohmed out fine.

Curious if any one could possibly put the eyes on the connector for their fcm.The pinout shows 14 wires but mine only has 13. As the wht/gry (pin #5) is missing.

I even pulled the loom apart to peak inside.

Also I do have a solid ground and 5v in pin #24 and #16 respectively

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new fcm. Just wondering if that mystery wire could be an issue. To me it seems like that wire is only for the scan tool use and the two can bus lines and pci bus line should actually be comm between computers.

Yeah my diagrams show that this White/Grey wire should go from pin 5 on the FCM connector to pin 31 connector C2 on the ECM and to the Anti Lock Brake Module via Splice S105.

I cannot believe though that someone pulled that pin number 5 and the wire out of the FCM connector......the wiring diagrams always have plenty mistakes in them :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finally got the fcm in the mail. Installed it as soon as I got off of work. No good. Still getting the same code. Transmission is still in limp mode. Not even really sure where to go from here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:43 am 
LOST Junkie

Locked KJ wrote:
Finally got the fcm in the mail. Installed it as soon as I got off of work. No good. Still getting the same code. Transmission is still in limp mode. Not even really sure where to go from here.

What code are you getting? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

I tested the p1140 and p0403 codes by plugging in the fcv and egr. They both went away.

I have a feeling the u0146 and p0683 are related. I didn't have them before I put the new head on.

I put a new glow plug module in at the same time as the fcm as well.

Even though the ground for the fcm tested good I made a new one today. Figured even though I got continuity through the ground it was pretty rusted. I physically checked all the pins on the tcm and the fcm everything looks to be making good contact.

Also made sure all the connectors and wires were intact going to transmission.

I'm kinda baffled at this point. :dizzy: Thinking about starting a new thread tomorrow as I piggy backed of an existing thread that wasn't for the problem I'm having. To try and get a little more traffic.

Thanks again BillWill. I was refreshing this page all week and would have responded sooner. But your post didn't show up until I actually logged in today.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:52 am 
LOST Junkie

Locked KJ wrote:

I tested the p1140 and p0403 codes by plugging in the fcv and egr. They both went away.

I have a feeling the u0146 and p0683 are related. I didn't have them before I put the new head on.

I put a new glow plug module in at the same time as the fcm as well.

Even though the ground for the fcm tested good I made a new one today. Figured even though I got continuity through the ground it was pretty rusted. I physically checked all the pins on the tcm and the fcm everything looks to be making good contact.

Also made sure all the connectors and wires were intact going to transmission.

I'm kinda baffled at this point. :dizzy: Thinking about starting a new thread tomorrow as I piggy backed of an existing thread that wasn't for the problem I'm having. To try and get a little more traffic.

Thanks again BillWill. I was refreshing this page all week and would have responded sooner. But your post didn't show up until I actually logged in today.

Yeah start a new thread then we can have a clean slate and deal with what the current outstanding problems are.

I know you measured out the FCM leads for continuity from point to point but have you tried disconnecting all the related connectors so that these wires are hanging in mid air and then check them with an Ohm meter for any continuity to ground or to anywhere else?

These wires should be completely going nowhere....I had about 6 wires in various circuits that were showing some resistance to ground or to some other random wires when all the connectors for that circuit...including splices...were disconnected. :shock:

I had to cut off these circuits completely and replace them with new wires! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Totally missed the ground strap over near the tcm. What a jackass! Cranked it down. Codes went away. O/D works again. I'm in business.

Thanks again for everyone's help

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:33 pm 

Many on here have said if before, CHECK YOUR GROUNDS! :roll:
Poor or no ground can cause a multitude of weird issues.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH