It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 0W40 VS 5W40 for 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:30 pm 
LOST Addict

m0sfet wrote:
Here's a question though. If the 0W40 is bad for CRD, why would Jeep recommend using it in the owner's manual?

Because, through meticulous statistical analysis they figured out that 0W-40 would blow up a good portion of the engines just after warranty expiration. It was all a plot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:09 pm 
LOST Member

m0sfet wrote:
Here's a question though. If the 0W40 is bad for CRD, why would Jeep recommend using it in the owner's manual?

It's not that bad. It's just there's a lot of people around here that think they know better than the engineers at VM and Chrysler :roll:

mass-hole wrote:
Because, through meticulous statistical analysis they figured out that 0W-40 would blow up a good portion of the engines just after warranty expiration. It was all a plot.

I'd maybe buy into that theory if they were making a killing on parts and service but the majority of dealers run from this vehicle and Chrysler clearly couldn't care less about supporting it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

Ceearedeedriver wrote:
m0sfet wrote:

It's not that bad. It's just there's a lot of people around here that think they know better than the engineers at VM and Chrysler :roll:

mass-hole wrote:

I'd maybe buy into that theory if they were making a killing on parts and service but the majority of dealers run from this vehicle and Chrysler clearly couldn't care less about supporting it.

I would't say LOT'S of peoples.......... just a FEW.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:46 pm 

PZKW108 wrote:
Ceearedeedriver wrote:
m0sfet wrote:
Because Chrysler was trying to meet EPA required fleet mileage numbers and thinner oils help meet those numbers!
We may actually know more in the long run as experience is one hell of a teacher and Chrysler did not give a rats behind about longevity!!! :roll:

mass-hole wrote:

You don't think Mopar makes a killing on any part they sell for Liberty CRD on the North American Continent? Have you not priced any replacement parts from Mopar on line??? Again, Chrysler did not give a rats behind about longevity, all they wanted was to get the motor past the warranty mileage and time factor... If you look at the VM motors they sold elsewhere for taxies, industrial applications, boats, etc... and in other countries, they did not list the 0W40 as the recommended oil of choice!

I would't say LOT'S of peoples.......... just a FEW.

May be a lot more than you realize! Please don't beat people for liking the heavier weight oils, they have their proven benefits, especially in warmer climates.... :ALONE:
If you want to use the thinner weight oil, that fine, life is about choices, you make yours and I will make mine and we will all be happy!!!! :ROTFL:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Chrysler told VM that they would only certify the engine for 120k miles. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't last more than that, but that was all the quality that Chrysler was willing to pay for.

120k miles. Total.

Now if you were an engine manufacturer faced with a cheap-arsed car seller looking to purchase engines but only pay for enough quality to last just 120k miles... Wouldn't you cheap out on things to cut the costs so you could have something resembling a profit margin? Anywhere a corner could be cut... You'd probably cut it, right?

And this is how we have ended up where we are now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Seriously, what is the reason that the European CRDs aren't experiencing the valve train issues that we have in the USA? Also, seems like at the 200k mark, valves are dropping too if I'm understanding correctly?

Could it be the 5w40 oil is better than the 0w40 oil? Don't get me wrong, my CRD had 0w40 only when it was brand spanking new and been using 5w40 and heavier oils the rest of the time. Mobil 1 0w40 is a decent oil and I use it in my "newer" vehicle which has a turbocharged engine-gas direct injection.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:03 pm 
LOST Addict

m0sfet wrote:
I think I'll just use mobil 1 0W40 as that's always available at Walmart here.

If you have a gde tune and don't tow heavy, that's a good oil. Otherwise stick with Rotella or Mobil 1 tdt. If you also leave in hotter climate, you can use a 15w40 also, but being mineral oil, it will have a horrible viscosity in extreme cold.

Btw, ram EcoDiesel changed the recommended oil to Rotella t6... They used to have pennzoil or Mobil 1 esp, both in 5w30.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Drewd wrote:
Seriously, what is the reason that the European CRDs aren't experiencing the valve train issues that we have in the USA? Also, seems like at the 200k mark, valves are dropping too if I'm understanding correctly?

Could it be the 5w40 oil is better than the 0w40 oil? Don't get me wrong, my CRD had 0w40 only when it was brand spanking new and been using 5w40 and heavier oils the rest of the time. Mobil 1 0w40 is a decent oil and I use it in my "newer" vehicle which has a turbocharged engine-gas direct injection.

I one believe that Mobil 1 0w40 is a great oil. But not the best diesel oil, definitely not for heavy duty diesel driving. Rotella T6 seems to be the best, based on the fact gde had been running it in their ram EcoDiesel for a year, before fca changed oil requirements to the t6, also, many oil analysis show its quality. It also cheap, I think they may still have a $5 mail in rebate per gallon. Ram recommended 10k oil change interval, same as crd if I remember correctly, now many folks that want to keep the truck realize that's cheap insurance to have it changed few thousands earlier, even if oil analysis show you can go towards 15k for a change. It's a bit of contradiction between facts (analysis) and feel, and many people prefer the 2nd, including myself...

I believe the reason European 2.8 vm doesn't have that many issues is first, they have way less egr, 2nd, superior diesel fuel, 3rd, less abusive driving habits. Looks like Australia and us are the worse in abusing vehicles. I believe I read that online somewhere...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:05 pm 
LOST Member

I agree I think a lot of people drive them like a gasser or a Mustang GT. I like Mobil 1 TDT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:05 pm 
LOST Member

Hey guys.....anyone use or have any opinions on the Rotella T6 0w-40 that's diesel rated? I'm almost out of my Mobil 1 5w-40tdt oil that I stockpiled a couple years back when it was on sale for $1.99/qt at Advance auto. I saw some today and was wondering what the general consensus was being as its 0w-40 but diesel rated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:59 pm 
LOST Addict

kissfan79 wrote:
Hey guys.....anyone use or have any opinions on the Rotella T6 0w-40 that's diesel rated? I'm almost out of my Mobil 1 5w-40tdt oil that I stockpiled a couple years back when it was on sale for $1.99/qt at Advance auto. I saw some today and was wondering what the general consensus was being as its 0w-40 but diesel rated.

Rotella t6 is synthetic diesel oil, very good. Keep receipt and go on shell oil website and check for rebates, you may be lucky to get 5 bucks a gallon mail in rebate. You can get it almost everywhere, including Walmart. I also remember that sale for tdt, was it about 2 or 3 years ago? Still have a jug left... Man,the time is flying by....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:00 pm 

kissfan79 wrote:

If you wanting to go with the Shell Rotella T6 Heavy Duty Full Synthetic Motor Oil,(Meeting ash, phosphorous and sulfur requirements of API CJ-4) the 5W-40 would be a much better choice!!! All the big box parts stores and Walmart carry it...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:52 am 
LOST Junkie

kissfan79 wrote:

I screwed up when they had that sale. I bought a bunch of gallons at $10 ea. I didn't know about the quarts until it was too late.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:02 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
kissfan79 wrote:

If you wanting to go with the Shell Rotella T6 Heavy Duty Full Synthetic Motor Oil,(Meeting ash, phosphorous and sulfur requirements of API CJ-4) the 5W-40 would be a much better choice!!! All the big box parts stores and Walmart carry it...

Right, I didn't even noticed he said 0w... But I think they don't have t6 with 0w anyways, do they? It only comes in 5w.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:57 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes....that sale was about 2-3 years ago. I remember driving all over to the different Advance Auto parts to buy everything I could find. I'm down to my last 7 qts. I did see the Rotella T6 oil in the 0w-40 that was diesel rated today when I was at Advance. It was the first time I had seen it so I figured I'd check to see if anyone here had used it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

the T6 is available in both 0w and 5w and they are both on sale at Canadian tire right now

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:03 am 
LOST Addict

logmore wrote:
the T6 is available in both 0w and 5w and they are both on sale at Canadian tire right now

kissfan79 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes....that sale was about 2-3 years ago. I remember driving all over to the different Advance Auto parts to buy everything I could find. I'm down to my last 7 qts. I did see the Rotella T6 oil in the 0w-40 that was diesel rated today when I was at Advance. It was the first time I had seen it so I figured I'd check to see if anyone here had used it yet.

Hmm, didn't know they make 0w40...good to know, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:44 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Hmm. Something I do know a tiny bit about.

What is the best oil for your vehicle?
We have some great guides in this thread outlining what the specification terms mean, so there is no point duplicating them. Beyond that, the "best oil" depends on four things:

Your vehicle and it's specific requirements relative to the oil specifications. This includes any and all modifications made to the vehicle from stock.

Your location and the environment in which your vehicle is used. Most people in forums like this have no idea how this applies to any one other person, which makes every one of us uniquely unqualified to determine what is best for you.

Your driving habits. The same problem with the previous point applies to this one.

The particular fuel formulation you are burning. This has probably the biggest effect on motor oil life, and is usually the factor that most people know the least about. All over the US there are random and varied specifications for diesel sold for on-road vehicles, and even when some specifications are given (ie fuel contains 10% recycled material) the actual chemical makeup can be so radically different that the "blended-fuel" is hardly compatible from tank to tank, and in my opinion the only way any one person can know exactly what is being burnt in their engine, is if they make all their own fuel from materials they have sourced themselves. The above given same specification could mean anything from re-purposed used motor oil, to pure canola, to rank fryer oil with super high sulfur content due to a week of dunking onion rings. Even "good" bio-diesel, if not burned though on a regular basis, and stored warm, can grow bacteria that will turn the "bio" part into the biggest peanut-buttery paste mess you've ever seen in the bottom of the tank.

All things considered I think WWDiesel has it nailed.
- Choose one that fits your circumstance
- Change it at a reasonable interval (the pennies saved by stretching the interval from some innate need to be a cheapskate are not worth the price of serious repairs)
- Have the used oil analyzed every year or two when you do a change, to determine whether you can reasonably stretch the change interval, or need to do it more often.
- If you want to worry what the hell oil I'm using, that's up to you, just don't try to make me worry about my choices. ...Or try to sell me Amway.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:19 am 
LOST Junkie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Hmm. Something I do know a tiny bit about.

What is the best oil for your vehicle?
We have some great guides in this thread outlining what the specification terms mean, so there is no point duplicating them. Beyond that, the "best oil" depends on four things:

Your vehicle and it's specific requirements relative to the oil specifications. This includes any and all modifications made to the vehicle from stock.

Your location and the environment in which your vehicle is used. Most people in forums like this have no idea how this applies to any one other person, which makes every one of us uniquely unqualified to determine what is best for you.

Your driving habits. The same problem with the previous point applies to this one.

The particular fuel formulation you are burning. This has probably the biggest effect on motor oil life, and is usually the factor that most people know the least about. All over the US there are random and varied specifications for diesel sold for on-road vehicles, and even when some specifications are given (ie fuel contains 10% recycled material) the actual chemical makeup can be so radically different that the "blended-fuel" is hardly compatible from tank to tank, and in my opinion the only way any one person can know exactly what is being burnt in their engine, is if they make all their own fuel from materials they have sourced themselves. The above given same specification could mean anything from re-purposed used motor oil, to pure canola, to rank fryer oil with super high sulfur content due to a week of dunking onion rings. Even "good" bio-diesel, if not burned though on a regular basis, and stored warm, can grow bacteria that will turn the "bio" part into the biggest peanut-buttery paste mess you've ever seen in the bottom of the tank.

All things considered I think WWDiesel has it nailed.
- Choose one that fits your circumstance
- Change it at a reasonable interval (the pennies saved by stretching the interval from some innate need to be a cheapskate are not worth the price of serious repairs)
- Have the used oil analyzed every year or two when you do a change, to determine whether you can reasonably stretch the change interval, or need to do it more often.
- If you want to worry what the hell oil I'm using, that's up to you, just don't try to make me worry about my choices. ...Or try to sell me Amway.

The last Amway party I went to we had a cooler of beer. LOL Nobody sold anybody anything

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:33 pm 

Discussing Oil brands, weights, change intervals, along with what oil filter is best is almost as bad as discussing politics!!! :roll:
If you can find more than two posters to agree on all the above items, you have really accomplished something!!! :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next