It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem starting my wrangler CRD 2.8
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi!!
My name is Victor Terrero, I'm writing from Dominican Republic. I have a Jeep Wrangler CRD 2.8, 2011. I need your help. When I'm starting the vehicle it has a delay to start and in many case doesn't start until I try for several times. It has 80,000 kms

I bought this Jeep outside my country and Chrysler/Jeep here doesn't want to fix even check it for maintenance because they say they don't bring it. I understood they don't want cover any warranty but they must bring me the service! So, they don't.

So, I went to another mechanics center and they plug a scanner computer and it show anything.

Please help me with it, I don't know what else do. They said it's an electric problem but nobody have an idea how fix it.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Problem starting my wrangler CRD 2.8
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

HI victor , we have older versions in our jeep crd , but anyway give us more details , looks like you say ones you start is ok is it just delay when cranking or just cranks like no fuel delivery? you say ono CEL no codes , 1ST how old is the fuel filter ? did you check all the basics, battery , charging system and connections?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for you prompt answer....I were looking older posts but seems to be different. This its why I open a new one. It stay like cranking but we can't determinate if it is fuel o an electrical problem.

No codes.
Fuel filter every 5000kms. I change it because I like to care my Jeep
All maintenance every 5000kms with ALL filters.
I checked battery and all you said.

I really need your help because I don't what else do. If you want let me send you a video so you can see what its happening. I don't know if I can do it here or an email or whatsapp.

Please let me know

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Victor,

Try this, reset the ECU (engine computer) by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

This may clear any problems. Also, check the battery.... it needs to be fully charged and be strong enough to deliver approx. 600 cold cranking amps when the key is turned on or the start button is pressed.

How old is the battery?

Have the battery checked with a battery load tester.

Don't know what else it could be without knowing more about the vehicle or reference engine codes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok. I did it when its began with this problem...nothing happend.
My battery is practically new, Its a motorcraft with 850 amps and less than 1 year.

I bought new And I'm the only owner....but it began cranky from the night to the moorning.
It had been scan by many scanner and its only show code about the headlamp that I changed the original by xenon and it was after this problem started.

By scanners, my mechanics, checked the injector pressure, the fuel pump, the compression, during the start and once it turns on and everything it's "ok".

I went to some friends who work for Mercedes Benz here and he used their scanner and he has a similar diagnosis. No body knows what happend.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:58 am 
LOST Newbie

https://youtu.be/DZYi2VjdDsY

I uploaded the video! Please checke it on youtube....this what happen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:48 am 
LOST Member

Try checking the fuel supply, CRD Wrangler has a in tank fuel pump as fitted from the factory, They have been known to fail. Also crank shaft sensor they also can fail with out showing a fault code.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 am 

X2 on the crankshaft sensor; they are notorious for failing and NOT setting any DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes)...
If you got good fuel rail pressure and it spins over good when starting, then the ECM (engine control computer) is not letting the injectors fire for some reason. Again, most likely the crank sensor or the cam sensor could be the problem. :roll:
Check all fuses also and make sure none are bad! Y0u have got to start somewhere and go through a process of elimination! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Excellent! I'm on my way to the auto repair shop with the info...let's what happens. Thanks for your help and if you have any other suggestions let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi! After cheked your recommendations nothing was found! Every it's working good. Any other suggestions???

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

ok i would try locating the biggest battery that can fit your jeep . you said you are on the island , good guys , mechanics are usually at marina , RUM SHOP , look for them so if you spot them , ask them for help .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Vnterrero wrote:
Hi! After cheked your recommendations nothing was found! Every it's working good. Any other suggestions???

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

But is it working when you cannot start?

I think you should order a replacement to keep on hand for the next time it starts so you can swap it out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
First thing I hear with that video - the cranking speed is slow, so something is happening with the battery. If the battery is fully charged (is it registering 12.6-13 volts when tested?) then perhaps the ground cables are not good - this happens a lot especially in humid and salty environments. A cheap insurance is to take a length of battery cable with bolt eyes on either end, and connect it to the negative battery terminal (I usually use the tightening nut to attach the cable) and the other end connect to the engine block. A convenient bolt for that is the bracket behind the alternator. That will add another ground strap to the engine and it might crank faster.

The next question is, do you possibly have a loose fuel filter or maybe a leak at the filter head? If it starts OK after you have been using it, but then is hard to start after sitting overnight, that suggests that you have an air leak and there is air getting into the fuel system.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:11 am 
LOST Addict

Along those notes a good code reader will be able to tell you the cranking RPM, might help to show if it is too slow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes thats why i was suggesting to go to see if can borrow good (marine specs battery ) and see if will crank any faster. also his engine is little different then ours , but we like to help if possibly , I'm leaning toward fuel drain back issue if battery does not help , i would start with fuel filter o ring seal if missing or pinched ( if he can remove fuel filter after sitting over night ) if found half empty that means engine need to crank and crank to get fuel ,but he need to start from there .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok guys, thanks for all your help.

I will answering one by one.

1 I tried with a bigger battery. When I bought the jeep it cames with a 650 amp battery. Now it has a motorcraft, less than 1 year, 850amp.

2. Sir sam, when I said "every its working good" I means that all suggestions before I checked and the technicias says OK. And its the problem it doesn't start even every its "ok".

3.geordi, its sound slown on the video because it was my 7th time trying to start it. So I think the battery was a little bit dead when I was recording. I will try about the ground cables its the only thing that I need to do.

4. Rankom, what you mean when you said marine spec battery?? I change the fuel filter every 5000km so I think the ring seal it supposed to be new. But I will remove it after sitting over night and see what's going on.

Thanks I really appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:42 pm 
LOST Member

Vnterrero wrote:
By scanners, my mechanics, checked the injector pressure, the fuel pump, the compression, during the start and once it turns on and everything it's "ok".

I went to some friends who work for Mercedes Benz here and he used their scanner and he has a similar diagnosis. No body knows what happend.

You have oxygen, you have compression, you have fuel in the rail so all you need is to have the fuel injected into the cylinder at the correct time. If the rail pressure is good, i.e. ~3000psi or more then have them confirm that the injectors are actually being fired.

Is there any smoke from the tailpipe after all that cranking?

Last edited by Ceearedeedriver on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:02 pm 

WWDiesel wrote:
X2 on the crankshaft sensor; they are notorious for failing and NOT setting any DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes)...
If you got good fuel rail pressure and it spins over good when starting, then the ECM (engine control computer) is not letting the injectors fire for some reason. Again, most likely the crank sensor or the cam sensor could be the problem. :roll:
Check all fuses also and make sure none are bad! Y0u have got to start somewhere and go through a process of elimination! :wink:

I stand by my original statement! If fuel rail pressure is within specs and the motor spins over at a normal speed with a good battery and the injectors inject fuel, it should start!
Can you list the fuel rail pressure the tech's are seeing with their scanners?
As to the injectors firing, has any of the tech's plugged up some NOID test lights on the electrical connections to the injectors? If not, they are not being very through in my opinion!
You can order a NOID test light kit for injectors off ebay; just do a search for NOID test light kit. They are very helpful for testing fuel injector signals. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

sorry Victor we all trying to help and my joke about battery didn't work my bad , i know your friends at MB are factory trained but you never know if you meet somebody in marina rum shop ,,,, this guys work on CAT , cummins , volvo , yanmar perkins etc , so i was hoping somebody may have contacts with european friends and may have idea what they did over seas .,,, to solve this problem in this application .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello!

I just want to say thank you to all of you for your help. I reemplace the coolant sesor and it seems to be the problem. I have to flight to Dominican Republic the next week and I will check by my self.

Once again...thank for your time and your help.....have a great day!