It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I might be the next one gone.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:12 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
Do the Sprinters have the same oil change procedure?

The ones with the 3.0L, presumably, yes.

The ones with the 5-cylinder (2.7L?) likely not.

By the way, the process of dropping oil into the filter assy isn't a big deal. The filter medium assembly is all the way on the front-right of the engine. The filter is a replaceable medium in a housing, not a spin-on.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 pm 
LOST Member

Picked up the wk and drove back today, just got home. The salesman said the previous owner said he never got better than 16.5 mpg out of it. I got 21.5 out of it on the 240 mile trip home. Stock my kj got 23 before the gde eco tune and my average is just over 25 tracked on Gas buddy. I like the way it handles on the highway, the wheelbase isn't that much longer than the kj, but its seems more stable doing quick lane changes and it doesn't nose-dive when I hit the brakes. Actually the kj isn't as bad now after I redid the rear brakes, downside is I used the HD EBC pads and new rotors. While they make a big difference braking, they make almost a hissing noise when applied. I don't really notice it, but it drives the neighbor nuts.

Cons so far: I do wish it had a better final OD. If it had the same as the kj for final OD, I bet the mileage would be close or even better than the kj. It doesn't spool up as fast as the Libby, wonder if an italian tune-up on a highway ramp would help that. And the dealer replaced the worn out street tires with whatever goodyear street tire was equivalent to the ones that came on it stock so it would pass inspection before I bought it. Yay new tires, boo they're crappy street tires on a 4x4. And they are on the shiny booty chrome jeep wheels.

The exhaust isn't loud, neither is the engine, but I spent 20 minutes crawling at low speed through a construction zone and it rumbles a bit when you get on it, too bad it's not faster. Thinking reach out to a guy for a short section of pipe, then call gde in a couple months. If all goes well I'll have put 1250 miles on by the end of the weekend. if its good, maybe I can relax enough to maybe let the kj go to a good home.

SOLD-2006 Red CRD Sport 4x4. Hot, Fumoto, Weeks stage 1, ARP studs .
SOLD-2006 blue CRD Sport 4x4. Eco, Fumoto.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:58 pm 
LOST Member

buddy357 wrote:

Cons so far: I do wish it had a better final OD.

Indeed. The 0.83:1 makes ya realize how the KJ loped along. However, after the GDE ECO, I got over 26 mpg on a trip up to Canada and back (around 800 miles round trip). So it revs higher than we're used to, but it still does well.

There is a guy that offers a set of replacement gears for it to take it from a 3:73 axle to 3:07. That'll drop it to near-KJ highway RPM. Still a smidgeon higher, but drivers are reporting getting 32-33 mpg on roadtrips with that setup. The catch is correcting the speedo for the difference. What it boils down to is that you either grin & bear it with the 0.83:1, or spend the $$ and drop in the 3.07s. There isn't an in-between, due to software built in.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:41 am 
LOST Member

Edit: dang, voice-to-text really screws it up...

One thing that I have noticed is that the Evic tends to be pessimistic on mpg.

It doesn't want to say that you're getting better than it 22 mpg. I know I have noticed this on every fuel up, even when hand calc demonstrates 26+ mpg.

If you look at the comments for every fill up that I have done through Fuelly on the tag below, every time it (EVIC) ends up reading several miles per gallon less than what I'm actually getting when hand calculating.

Retired:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:18 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Maybe they are finally trying to counter the overly optimistic (by 3mpg) EVIC screens on the KJ CRD and others?

Actually, thinking about it, they probably aren't adjusting the calculation based on the fuel type like a Scangauge would do to get an accurate number. So they are probably using whatever algorithm they use on the gassers. Don't know if it is any more accurate on those however.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:27 am 
LOST Addict

Rixram wrote:
buddy357 wrote:

Indeed. The 0.83:1 makes ya realize how the KJ loped along. However, after the GDE ECO, I got over 26 mpg on a trip up to Canada and back (around 800 miles round trip). So it revs higher than we're used to, but it still does well.

There is a guy that offers a set of replacement gears for it to take it from a 3:73 axle to 3:07. That'll drop it to near-KJ highway RPM. Still a smidgeon higher, but drivers are reporting getting 32-33 mpg on roadtrips with that setup. The catch is correcting the speedo for the difference. What it boils down to is that you either grin & bear it with the 0.83:1, or spend the $$ and drop in the 3.07s. There isn't an in-between, due to software built in.

Does it not use the 545RFE? Is it just a different gear set in the transmission or what? A set of 3.07's + a taller 545RFE would be epic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:40 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I don't think it uses the 545RFE, but don't forget - our transmission (and that one too most likely) are massively computer controlled. Changing the ratios in the pumpkins is much easier b/c you don't have to do anything other than the wrenching.

You would be trading potential towing capacity for guaranteed highway mileage... That is a trade I would happily take too! Any idea if 307s are available for the differentials under the KJ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:00 pm 
LOST Addict

The hard part is finding gears for the Dana30A up front.
If you swap out the aluminum front case for the JBA iron Dana30 case, then a wider range of front gears become available.
Or you could just eliminate all the 4wd parts alltogether and put whatever gears you like in the rear.

Or seach all the junkyards for a 4cyl gasser and pull the Dana30A from it.
It has 4.10 gears.
Then put 4.10s in your rear, add a 2.5 inch lift, and run 33 inch tires.
Your liberty would look awesome :twisted: but your MPGs would still suck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:27 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Does it not use the 545RFE? Is it just a different gear set in the transmission or what? A set of 3.07's + a taller 545RFE would be epic.

Pretty sure the WK CRD uses the Mercedes 5-speed ... W5A580 or NAG1 or whatever it's called.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:16 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Rixram wrote:
buddy357 wrote:

No, it is not the 545RFE in the WK CRD. It uses a version of the W5A580, called the W5J400.

Retired:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:14 am 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
It has 4.10 gears.

Wrong way! Taller gears (numerically lower) equals lower final drive ratios in all gearing and reduced engine RPM at a given road speed. No way I'd want 4.10s! :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:48 am 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
It has 4.10 gears.

Wrong way! Taller gears (numerically lower) equals lower final drive ratios in all gearing and reduced engine RPM at a given road speed. No way I'd want 4.10s! :banghead:

Right.
You would use 4.10 gears so you can run super tall off road tires. Not for MPGs.

Point is, there are only two gear ratios available for the Dana30A, 3.73 and 4.10.