It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I might be the next one gone.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:25 pm 
LOST Member

I test drove a 2007 WK CRD with Quadra-drive II today and bought it. Have been needing more room in the Liberty. Wasn't gonna try to trade it in and I am going to hang onto the Liberty a bit to make sure I am happy with the WK. But I will likely be one of the next Liberty CRD for sale ads.

I like this forum and hope I can find a similar one for the WK since that section seems dead.

SOLD-2006 Red CRD Sport 4x4. Hot, Fumoto, Weeks stage 1, ARP studs .
SOLD-2006 blue CRD Sport 4x4. Eco, Fumoto.

Post subject: Re: I might be the next one gone.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:07 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
A gasser? Turncoat. :goink:

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:49 am 
LOST Member

Jim, I found a diesel Grand Cherokee Limited with the mercedes 3.0 and quadra-drive 2. Miles are higher than the kj, but the space with the rear seat up is better.

I am not completely sure I am willing to give up the KJ, so I am going to keep it for a few weeks before I think I'll put it up. But only one can stay because you've seen all the parking space I have.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Yeah, that parking situation is a tough one. Does your area do sweep zone stuff? You could keep one out front and the other in back if not, and any vehicle that is paid off is always a benefit.

As far as the mileage, I don't think it matters as much on a diesel (My TDI is at 375k right now) and that Merc engine should be a great design although I don't know much about it. I haven't heard of a lot of problems (or any really) with them, so that is a good thing.

At least it is the Merc diesel. That is a much better engine than any of the gas Mopar engines that they were putting in the GC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Is the WK really that much bigger? They seem like they have some more hood length but the rest looks about the same.

I guess I can't really talk though because I don't really even know what the back looks like with the seats up anymore. They are down 95% of the time for the dogs and my bike rack keeps the rear door from swinging open.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:12 pm 
LOST Member

I didn't measure, but the kj are seems taller while the wk seems to be a good bit longer. It seems to be bigger. Maybe I should have measured. Dang it, blinded by new to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 pm 
LOST Addict

A tape measure won't lie, hopefully your impression is right.

I remember years ago my family rented a Mitsubishi Montero for something, and we thought it was absolutely enormous inside compared to the 96 Grand Cherokee we had (and still have) at the time.

Looking at them now, the Montero seems much smaller. I don't know what we were thinking. But we never put a tape measure to them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Here are the numbers from Edmunds on the GC:

Exterior Measurements
FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 2 in. (62 in.)
GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 8.3 in. (8.3 in.)
HEIGHT 5 ft. 10.3 in. (70.3 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 6.7 in. (186.7 in.)
REAR TRACK5 ft. 2 in. (62 in.)
WHEEL BASE 9 ft. 1.5 in. (109.5 in.)
WIDTH 6 ft. 1.3 in. (73.3 in.)
Interior Measurements
FRONT HEAD ROOM 39.3 in.
FRONT HIP ROOM 57.1 in.
FRONT LEG ROOM 41.7 in.
FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 59.1 in.
REAR HEAD ROOM 39.2 in.
REAR HIP ROOM 62.3 in.
REAR LEG ROOM 35.5 in.
REAR SHOULDER ROOM 58.4 in.
Fuel
EPA MILEAGE EST. (CTY/HWY) 15/20 mpg
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 21.1 gal.
ENGINE TYPE Gas
FUEL TYPE Regular unleaded
RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 316.5/422.0 mi.
Weights and Capacities
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 68.5 cu.ft.

And now for the KJ:

Exterior Measurements
FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 0 in. (60 in.)
GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 9.2 in. (9.2 in.)
HEIGHT 5 ft. 11.5 in. (71.5 in.)
LENGTH 14 ft. 6.5 in. (174.5 in.)
REAR TRACK 4 ft. 11.7 in. (59.7 in.)
WHEEL BASE 8 ft. 8.2 in. (104.2 in.)
WIDTH 5 ft. 11.8 in. (71.8 in.)
Interior Measurements
FRONT HEAD ROOM 40.7 in.
FRONT HIP ROOM 57.0 in.
FRONT LEG ROOM 40.8 in.
FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 56.5 in.
REAR HEAD ROOM 42.2 in.
REAR HIP ROOM 47.4 in.
REAR LEG ROOM 37.2 in.
REAR SHOULDER ROOM 56.5 in.
Fuel
EPA MILEAGE EST. (CTY/HWY) 16/20 mpg
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 20.5 gal.
ENGINE TYPE Gas
RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 328.0/410.0 mi.
Weights and Capacities
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 69.0 cu.ft.

So the answer here seems to be that the Liberty is actually *slightly* larger in cargo capacity by .5 cubic feet, but the hip spacing of the Grand Cherokee is wider by 15 inches. That is mostly b/c of the much rounder shape of the body and the doors inside match it. The KJ is a portable box.

You will still need to measure from the back gate to the back of the front seats for ultimate cargo length / width, but I think you will find that it is somewhere around 5'6" long, about the same as the KJ.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
Here are the numbers from Edmunds on the GC:

Exterior Measurements
FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 2 in. (62 in.)
GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 8.3 in. (8.3 in.)
HEIGHT 5 ft. 10.3 in. (70.3 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 6.7 in. (186.7 in.)
REAR TRACK5 ft. 2 in. (62 in.)
WHEEL BASE 9 ft. 1.5 in. (109.5 in.)
WIDTH 6 ft. 1.3 in. (73.3 in.)
Interior Measurements
FRONT HEAD ROOM 39.3 in.
FRONT HIP ROOM 57.1 in.
FRONT LEG ROOM 41.7 in.
FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 59.1 in.
REAR HEAD ROOM 39.2 in.
REAR HIP ROOM 62.3 in.
REAR LEG ROOM 35.5 in.
REAR SHOULDER ROOM 58.4 in.
Fuel
EPA MILEAGE EST. (CTY/HWY) 15/20 mpg
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 21.1 gal.
ENGINE TYPE Gas
RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 316.5/422.0 mi.
Weights and Capacities
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 68.5 cu.ft.

And now for the KJ:

Exterior Measurements
FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 0 in. (60 in.)
GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 9.2 in. (9.2 in.)
HEIGHT 5 ft. 11.5 in. (71.5 in.)
LENGTH 14 ft. 6.5 in. (174.5 in.)
REAR TRACK 4 ft. 11.7 in. (59.7 in.)
WHEEL BASE 8 ft. 8.2 in. (104.2 in.)
WIDTH 5 ft. 11.8 in. (71.8 in.)
Interior Measurements
FRONT HEAD ROOM 40.7 in.
FRONT HIP ROOM 57.0 in.
FRONT LEG ROOM 40.8 in.
FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 56.5 in.
REAR HEAD ROOM 42.2 in.
REAR HIP ROOM 47.4 in.
REAR LEG ROOM 37.2 in.
REAR SHOULDER ROOM 56.5 in.
Fuel
EPA MILEAGE EST. (CTY/HWY) 16/20 mpg
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 20.5 gal.
ENGINE TYPE Gas
RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 328.0/410.0 mi.
Weights and Capacities
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 69.0 cu.ft.

So the answer here seems to be that the Liberty is actually *slightly* larger in cargo capacity by .5 cubic feet, but the hip spacing of the Grand Cherokee is wider by 15 inches. That is mostly b/c of the much rounder shape of the body and the doors inside match it. The KJ is a portable box.

You will still need to measure from the back gate to the back of the front seats for ultimate cargo length / width, but I think you will find that it is somewhere around 5'6" long, about the same as the KJ.

That is crazy. I assumed they were much bigger but after seeing those figures side by side they aren't.

Post subject: Re: I might be the next one gon.e.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

Congrats on your WK CRD purchase. There are quite a bit of WK CRD gurus on http://www.jeepforum and that is where I go for help on my WK CRD.

A couple of things key to the WK CRD:

Oil changes: Use MB spec oil 229.51 (either 5w30 or 5w40-I use 5w40 exclusively)
Half of oil during oil change is added via the oil filter assembly and the other half via the oil cap fill hole. This is per a TSB to prevent front bearing damage during start after an oil change.

Swirl Motor failure is very common. It is a $4,500 dealer repair but a 30 cent 4.7K ohm resister (google it) added to the swirl motor plug is the best and most cost effective means to resolve this issue. I've been running the resistor mod for about 30k miles.

Keep eye out for oil leaks. The oil cooler gasket is made from an inferior material and labor is thousands of dollars to get to it.

Elephant Hose mod or crankcase ventilation filter is a must! I'm getting about 6 oz of oil every 4k miles in my Provent CCV filter.

There is a recall for gear shifter where the vehicle can pop out of gear even though it is in park. Please use parking brake at all times. The recall is known to cause loss of 4x4 low

A 4 dollar splash shield from dealership for the alternator will prevent premature alternator failure from oil leaking out of the 710 cap

Turbo actuators fail between 75-95k miles. Dealership will sell you a new turbo and charge you over 6k for labor and parts. You can get the actuator rebuilt. I got a rebuilt from England form http://www.turbovanes.com for cheap.

A hot tune is great and really awakens the motor. A DPF delete would be even better!

Make sure battery doesn't leak acid. The ECU is directly under the battery and a boiling battery damaged my harness plug to the ECU.

A loud whining noise from your in tank fuel pump is probably a bad flow control valve on your high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay. Dealer will sell you a new fuel tank fuel pump but the real problem is the CP3 high pressure fuel pump. Dealership can't replace the flow control valve but will try to sell you a new CP3 pump.

Don't abort a dpf regeneration. Before shutting engine down, an active regeneration is accompanied by slightly higher engine rpm at idle and a weird "plastic" odor in air. If you notice this, keep driving for at least 15-20 minutes, preferably on the highway. A DPF delete would eliminate worrying about DPF regenerations.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:40 am 
LOST Addict

Wow... Suddenly I'm glad I have the KJ and not the WK, and for how inexpensive the reliability repairs are in comparison to that!

I would have thought the Merc motor was better than that. Seems Chrysler manages to screw up everything they touch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:07 am 
LOST Member

Looks like I need to find a way to keep the KJ for a while. Maybe for good. At least i paid a good price for the WK, I have a much better chance of breaking even or not losing much on it than the Libby.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:39 pm 
LOST Member

I bought my WK CRD in April. It had 71K miles on it.

A GDE tune (I always favor the ECO) shuts off the swirl motor (no issues), shuts off the EGR nonsense, adds power and mpgs.

I've averaged 23.4 mpg over the last 7K miles, and did the oil change recently. IDParts stocks the oil for a reasonable price.

I had a glow plug go out (#3). It took all of 10 minutes to replace it. The GPs are right on top of the engine, not hidden on the side behind a g*dd@mn intake.

I do believe that my transfer case shift motor went out. I've had a "service 4x4 system" light for a while, and the stealership did mention that the T-case motor was giving iffy indications. I'm not too concerned, since I don't use low-range. I'll get around to fixing it....eventually.

The WK feels a whallop more roomy inside. I can haul my daughter's double bass (orchestra) and still have room inside. Ride comfort is vastly superior. MPGs are nearly identical to my KJ CRD.

I'm very pleased the have made the upgrade, and really don't miss my KJs. They were fun, but I love the WK more.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:34 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the info Rixram. If I can ever get off work in time to get there I'm going to pick up the WK this week. They've been waiting on me to pick it up since Monday.

Post subject: I might be the next one gone.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Private sale or dealer? I would look at options of getting out of the transaction. You don't need a lawn ornament if one of those expensive failures happens. Killing the engine by not properly filling it after an oil change??? That blows my mind. But how could you ensure that the prior owner knew that or anywhere he took it did? Way too scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'd take a WK over a KJ anyday. I don't have to worry about rockers, lifters, timing belts, torque converters, front pumps, lift pumps (lack of), air in fuel, filter head assemblies, cracked intercoolers, etc...etc..

https://conflictedracer.wordpress.com/2 ... ee-diesel/

The oil change procedure is a bit of a pain but with a 10,000 mile oil change interval, it isn't too bad. 10k OCIs on a 3.0 liter engine that holds 10 liters is not that long considering that many will take a similarly sized engine with 5 quarts capacity to 5k miles between oil changes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 am 
LOST Addict

buddy357 wrote:
Looks like I need to find a way to keep the KJ for a while. Maybe for good. At least i paid a good price for the WK, I have a much better chance of breaking even or not losing much on it than the Libby.

I would take the WK over the KJ too. I cross shopped both back when I bought my KJ, I just didnt wanna spend the extra coin as I knew it was going to be my daily beater/dog mobile. I'm sure the WK is a whole lot nicer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:18 am 
LOST Member

Drewd wrote:
I'd take a WK over a KJ anyday. I don't have to worry about rockers, lifters, timing belts, torque converters, front pumps, lift pumps (lack of), air in fuel, filter head assemblies, cracked intercoolers, etc...etc..

https://conflictedracer.wordpress.com/2 ... ee-diesel/

The oil change procedure is a bit of a pain but with a 10,000 mile oil change interval, it isn't too bad. 10k OCIs on a 3.0 liter engine that holds 10 liters is not that long considering that many will take a similarly sized engine with 5 quarts capacity to 5k miles between oil changes.

I do not mind the 10k mile intervals. It is 2x the oil for 2x the distance. No difference, really.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:21 am 
LOST Member

It is also nice that the engine has enjoyed a larger production run. Sprinter vans, the MB vehicles; not just a scattered pittance of a production run like the kjs....

Retired:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Do the Sprinters have the same oil change procedure?