It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: overheating
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am having issues with overheating, I replaced the thermostat as it was bad, burped the system. The electric fan is good and the viscous clutch fan is good, and the water pump was recently done with the timing belt. It heats up to the halfway point in about five minutes of driving in Florida summer heat and then after about twenty minutes of stop go traffic it starts to steadily climb, I then turn on the heat and it drops quickly. It has never gotten above the 3/4 gauge mark as I watch it well and cool it quickly when I see it rise. This is getting frustrating so any help would be great.

Post subject: Re: overheating
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:00 pm 
LOST Addict

What kind of coolant did you use?

Also, if you can, use a IR temp gun to get an actual temp reading from the top of the thermostat. It could be a gauge calibration issue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you check for air in the heater coil ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I used the coolant that was in it as I captured it when I went to change the thermostat. As for the heater coils I turned the heat on several times and burped the system as well as using the bleed valve on top of the radiator. I bought the Jeep in December of 2015 and the dealership had the 100,000 mile service done where they did the water pump.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The air does not get trapped in the radiator, the air gets trapped in the head and heater core.

Detach the top most heater hose and temprarily install a plastic "T" with a screw cap and use it to release the trapped air.

Make sure the heater core is full of coolant .... to do that i'd take both heater hoses off and pour / push coolant through one end and let it flow out the other, ..... that is the most difficult spot to get trapped air out.

The radiator twist valve has fooled many into thinking that air trapped in the head is released from that location, it's not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:10 am 
LOST Newbie

racertracer wrote:
The air does not get trapped in the radiator, the air gets trapped in the head and heater core.

Detach the top most heater hose and temprarily install a plastic "T" with a screw cap and use it to release the trapped air.

Make sure the heater core is full of coolant .... to do that i'd take both heater hoses off and pour / push coolant through one end and let it flow out the other, ..... that is the most difficult spot to get trapped air out.

The radiator twist valve has fooled many into thinking that air trapped in the head is released from that location, it's not.

I'll try this and post the results.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:32 pm 
LOST Member

did you ever try it?