It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need info on Jeff Bauer's thermostat housing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:09 pm 
LOST Member

I have read plenty about it in general terms, but I can't find any specifics, I emailed him but he prefers to talk on the phone and I am unable to schedule a call due to poor cell service at home and much of my time in town is driving or with clients, can I get some help?

Photos?

Delivery time frame?

Price? Feel free to pm this one if he prefers discretion.

Specs? What thermostat does it use and is it included?

Any other pertinent information I am missing.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: I need info on Jeff Bauer's thermostat housing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:03 pm 
LOST Addict

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=75791

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 pm 
LOST Member

Exactly! Thirty one pages I must sort through on my phone, and sometimes I have to reload the page two or three times ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:03 pm 
LOST Member

Hi LOST name is TurboDieselFreak. Send him a PM.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:12 pm 
LOST Member

I've heard he's a PITA when he gets you on the phone and won't shut up! Maybe he likes to use the phone because it gives him a better opportunity to hard sell his product, I don't see why he feels the need to do this :roll:. Here's his Kijiji ad, there's plenty of pics and marketing speil there http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engi ... nFlag=true You can see exactly what's included.

If you want an upgrade that's fine but don't be fooled into thinking it's the only option. The factory style thermostat has worked fine for tens of thousands of Libertys, Cherokees, Chrysler minivans and London taxis for over a decade and is a fraction of the cost.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:11 pm 
LOST Member

NapaBavarian wrote:
Photos?

http://s63.photobucket.com/user/TURBO-D ... K/library/

NapaBavarian wrote:
Delivery time frame?

IIRC he produced extra housings last production run in an effort to keep them in stock, so probably just a week or two for shipping.

NapaBavarian wrote:
Price? Feel free to pm this one if he prefers discretion.

I can't find it listed in any posts from him, just one mentioning that he has separate US and Canadian pricing (probably due to shipping) and to PM him for more information. Just to be safe I won't post the price, but I'll point out that it's listed in this post.

NapaBavarian wrote:
Specs? What thermostat does it use and is it included?

There are two thermostats that fit:
Stant 48799 - 190°F
Stant 48792 - 203°F

The 203°F one comes pre-installed in the thermostat housing.

NapaBavarian wrote:
Any other pertinent information I am missing.

Instructions, gasket, screws, and a ball-end hex driver are included, but you'll need some teflon tape or other method of sealing the threads on the coolant temperature sending unit.
Here are a couple instructional threads that have more info if needed:
INSTALLATION OF THE H.D.S. MODEL 001 ENGINE THERMOSTAT
REPLACING THE THERMOSTAT VALVE IN THE H.D.S. MODEL 001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:23 pm 
LOST Member

Ceearedeedriver wrote:
I've heard he's a PITA when he gets you on the phone and won't shut up! Maybe he likes to use the phone because it gives him a better opportunity to hard sell his product, I don't see why he feels the need to do this

Yeah, I had the misfortune of giving him my number. Dude yammered on for nearly an hour. No sale.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:52 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The engineering of his thermostat is very well done - if not overdone. His "customer service" however is the exact opposite.

His pricing is $500 Canadian or about $440 US. I have suggested several times, as have other people, that anyone interested in actually buying his thermostat is already smart enough to know how to install it, and he doesn't need to hard-sell them or spend hours wasting their time with the minutiae of how many turns it will take to remove the old bolts or whatever the hell he babbles on about. It is a fecking thermostat housing. Three bolts and a gasket to attach, and several hoses and a sensor.

Installation is the reverse of removal. That is all he needed to put together or tell people.

May your deity (whoever they may be) have mercy on your soul if you get trapped on a phone call with him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:30 am 
LOST Newbie

The product speaks for itself both in function and looks. You could leave it on the counter and the wife could mistake it for artsy decoration.

Jeff is long-winded and passionate about his design. Don't let that distract you from getting this thermostat if you feel that the cost is justified.

Chris.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 am 
LOST Member

We'll see what the price is, $525 Canadian transfered to $408 USD yesterday and $398 a couple weeks ago, $400 isn't terrible for a low production custom machined product, then again it isn't that easy to swallow either, double the cost of a factory thermostat would make for a quick sale in my book.

Was someone machining the factory housing to accept removable thermostats? I like the idea of a 203° thermostat when I head to the snow.

I watched my mpg go from 34 to 28 as the night cooled off and the engine couldn't maintain temperature the other night...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
If the cost is down below $400 US because of the exchange rate, then it starts to become a much more reasonable proposition. IDparts is selling the factory thermostat for $150 these days, so even if you ignore the temperature differences, the quality of his thermostat housing over the questionable factory unit and the annoyance of having to dig the factory one out twice...

The cost difference when added to that annoyance factor starts to balance out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:31 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
If the cost is down below $400 US because of the exchange rate, then it starts to become a much more reasonable proposition. IDparts is selling the factory thermostat for $150 these days, so even if you ignore the temperature differences, the quality of his thermostat housing over the questionable factory unit and the annoyance of having to dig the factory one out twice...

The cost difference when added to that annoyance factor starts to balance out.

I'm not sure. If one opts to do the T-stat (OEM) at the same intervals as the TB, it only adds a pittance of time & effort to the project.

Retired:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:38 pm 
LOST Addict

NapaBavarian wrote:
We'll see what the price is, $525 Canadian transfered to $408 USD yesterday and $398 a couple weeks ago, $400 isn't terrible for a low production custom machined product, then again it isn't that easy to swallow either, double the cost of a factory thermostat would make for a quick sale in my book.

Was someone machining the factory housing to accept removable thermostats? I like the idea of a 203° thermostat when I head to the snow.

I watched my mpg go from 34 to 28 as the night cooled off and the engine couldn't maintain temperature the other night...

I wouldn't expect the engine to heat up any faster than a perfectly functioning OEM unit. The coolant still circulates the same way and the engine still puts off the same amount of heat. The difference will only be in how hot the air coming out of your vents is(it's HOT).

I think it comes down to better flow and higher operating temps without sacrificing flow paths like with an inline or other fix. The more I thought about the inline the more I hated the idea.

I have zero regrets on buying the HDS and and very happy with how it performs. My jeeps cooling system gets worked harder than most I would say. That said, I also really don't want to be involved in the nonsense that seems to come up Everytime it's mentioned so I usually stay away.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pricey but a good, if a bit over engineered, design. I don't regret buying one each for me and my son. My "impression" backed by zero data is that warm up is a smidgen faster based on distance traveled until operating temp is reached but I could be wrong. As to the OEM tstat a) it's a royal pain in the butt to swap out so not having to do that ever again is a huge plus and b) of the 3 CRDs I've been involved with the OEM tstat failed (open or opening early) between 25 and 35K miles costing ca. 10-15% in mpg until replaced so the cost recovery curve is pretty quick not even factoring in the pain in the butt factor.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:46 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
I wouldn't expect the engine to heat up any faster than a perfectly functioning OEM unit. The coolant still circulates the same way and the engine still puts off the same amount of heat. The difference will only be in how hot the air coming out of your vents is(it's HOT).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It should heat up at the same rate, however if you are towing a trailer across 105° Sacramento valley with the acon a lower temp would be nicer to get the coolant flowing and cooling, if it is 20°f out the cooling will take care of its self, keeping the thermostat closed for another 13° will help keep everything warm. Technically 180° thermostat should keep the engine the same temp no matter wwhat, in reality other factors are at play.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:19 pm 
LOST Member

I almost want to just design my own at this point, excessive talking usually is to justify added price and the us cost is quite a bit higher than the exchange rate would suggest, don't we have NAFTA?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:19 pm 
LOST Addict

NapaBavarian wrote:
I almost want to just design my own at this point, excessive talking usually is to justify added price and the us cost is quite a bit higher than the exchange rate would suggest, don't we have NAFTA?

I wouldn't make that sweeping generalization regarding the Model 001... they really do cost me about $360.00 each to make all of the parts, and that is before any assembly. On my thread "ADD YOUR NAME HERE IF YOU WANT A NEW DESIGN THERMOSTAT" I posted over two years ago an offer to have a designated CRD LOSTJEEPS member contact the machine shop that makes my housings and caps to check on my actual production costs... to this date nobody has taken me up on the offer, probably because they really do not want to know.

The markup on my product is less %-wise than any other upgrade part for the Liberty CRD.

Most of the people posting on your thread have never spoken to me, and to the three members I recall having a telephone conversation with, none have complained at the time that the conversation was carrying on too long. This B.S. is nothing more than a smear campaign by those CRD owning members who are too cheap to do the right thing for their rides, and want to justify to themselves that their cobbled-together solutions are as good as the Model 001... they simply are not as good, and I have the satisfied customers to prove it.

If they really had some valid criticisms about the Model 001 they would state their case and show what is wrong with my product, but instead they try to destroy my character. Take their responses for what they are worth, NapaBavarian... which is not much.

The Model 001 DOES qualify for free trade under NAFTA; if there were import duties or extra fees and taxes the price would be even higher.

geordi has pulled the estimated price numbers for the Model 001 out of his butt... as usual regarding anything to do with the CRD cooling system, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Then again, I do not expect anything else from geordi because CRD owners who decide to install a Model 001 will likely cut into his primary business... which is to repair cylinder head gasket failures on CRD engines.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:20 pm 
LOST Member

$360 CDN $275 USD

Its more the shenanigans that are annoying me, I found a list price of $525 CDN that translates to $410 usd last I looked, it fluctuates, so yes $465 USD plus shipping makes me feel like I'm getting a little screwed

Edit...

I just reread geordie's posts, he actually speaks very highly of your product and his numbers aren't that far off, I am at a loss as to your hostility towards him, he is helpful even if you aren't his client.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:

Most of the people posting on your thread have never spoken to me, and to the three members I recall having a telephone conversation with, none have complained at the time that the conversation was carrying on too long.

I have. You came across as pushy, and even though I stated several times that I had to get back to work, you persisted.

It's why I refused to buy. That, and that I never had any problems with the in-line. I had it for 4 years, too.

The over engineered criticism appears valid. Maybe not. Don't know or care. I upgraded to a WK, anyway.

Retired:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

NapaBavarian wrote:
$360 CDN $275 USD

Its more the shenanigans that are annoying me, I found a list price of $525 CDN that translates to $410 usd last I looked, it fluctuates, so yes $465 USD plus shipping makes me feel like I'm getting a little screwed

Edit...

I just reread geordie's posts, he actually speaks very highly of your product and his numbers aren't that far off, I am at a loss as to your hostility towards him, he is helpful even if you aren't his client.

Now you are seeing TDF. Great product, but is an as* even when people give his product a compliment. I have installed 2 of them for people. It is a great piece, I would run one. But to me business is successful on relationships and he is lacking in that department. And no Jeff, I'm not "smearing" you. Just stating how I feel and I'm entitled to that