It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: transmission pull with "locked engine"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:53 am 
LOST Addict

I bought a CRD with a "locked up engine" at salvage price mainly because my son was struck by car causing mostly cosmetic front end damage and bent font cross member . I picked the salvage jeep because it was same color and I would not need to pain any parts just swap them. I repurchased my "totaled" jeep for $1600. It runs and drives normally but have to fix and get inspected to get salvage title.

Now, for the real problem. Another CRD my other son drives had transmission bite the dust. I hoped to remove the one in salvage jeep go ahead and upgrade torque converter to the hemi version and replace front pump if necessary and transgo kit.

I didn't know what the engine problem was so I tried to rotate engine to get flywheel trans bolts out . There was resistant to rotation but it did rotate enough to get three of the four bolts out. I got about half of last bolt into access hole and could not rotate any further. Also couldn't try to rotate all way around other direction because crank bold will loosen. tried all kinds of things to reach last bolt such as offset wrench custom bending wrench till it finally broke, access through starter hole, no luck . I then removed timing belt hoping crank could then move independently , it wouldn't . I also thought about chisel, torch, grinder, dynamite and other choice words.

question:

1. Do I have to remove head and use whatever method or force necessary to then move crank i.e. beat piston down etc ? Is this likely to then enable last bolt to be removed? I suppose could still be bent rod or valves, rockers , other.

2. If this is next step about how long does it take to remove head and are any special tools required? I am aware this is only an estimate.

3. Would it be any better to remove engine and trans in case need to remove crank ,pistons etc? I suppose I may eventually try to get this engine running or part out if not economically feasible.

Any suggestions appreciated.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Post subject: Re: transmission pull with "locked engine"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:38 am 
LOST Member

You're probably gonna be pulling the head, unfortunately.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your other thread :)