It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter, how often
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:11 pm 
LOST Member

Running out of fuel in a diesel is never a good idea. Much worse, of course, with these fuel cooled pumps.

I knew a guy who was a real scientist-engineer (he was running WVO in a tractor engine in a SAAB with a tractor engine back in the 80's. He always filtered his own fuel, and never changed a filter on the car. Ever.

I wonder if you could find a 2 micron filter to replace the factory one on the CRD. That would be the easy way to do it, though I'm sure it would need to be changed more often.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have 2 micron filters on my storage tank. That way the fuel is filtered before it gets in the vehicle.

If you switch to the much easier to change top load filters, you can find 2 micron filters for those. I really hate the filter housing we have.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

usa591 wrote:
Str8sixfan wrote:
The previous owner had installed a lift pump, but I think it's not functioning properly.

Why do you think that?

So when he was walking me around the Jeep telling me the ins and outs of it, he told me about the pump. He then cycled the key on (not start) to let me hear the dribbling sound it makes prior to start-up. He then told me, once you hear it stop you're good to turn it on because it's pressurized the system. Now it still makes the dribbling noise, but it never cycles off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Previous owner is cool enough that I can still call him with questions. I had called him maybe 3 weeks ago. He sounded like he went around 25k miles. He made it sound like he probably agreed it was about due for a fuel filter soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:50 pm 

graycenphil wrote:
I wonder if you could find a 2 micron filter to replace the factory one on the CRD. That would be the easy way to do it, though I'm sure it would need to be changed more often.

The OEM fuel filter on the Jeep CRD is a fuel/water separator type filter with a water sensor in the bottom of the filter! Fuel / water separator type filters are necessary and serves a different purpose than a secondary very low micron fuel filter. At best a new OEM filter starts out at ~20 microns and degrades from there over time. Adding a secondary true 2 or 3 micron filter that will catch anything that the primary filter allows to pass. There are several very good 2-3 micron fuel filters available such as Donaldson, Cat, Baldwin, NAPA, Fleetguard, and some others..

If you change the WIF sensor to a 1/2 x 20 thread (Racor RK #30964) you can use a Donaldson *P550588 filter which is a 11 micron fuel filter/water separator filter on the primary and this will allow the addition of a clear drain bowl on the bottom which allows you to view and observe any water accumulation in the bottom of the bowl...
Donaldson Clear drain bowl / Part No. P569758
Donaldson Clear drain bowl Twist & Drain Valve with 1/2"-20 UNF Threaded Port Sensor / Part No. P550865

If anyone is interested in going to a dual filter setup, I have all the part numbers and some pictures.... :wink:
Link:> http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=80139

Picture of duel fuel filter setup w/clear bowl on primary filter:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I apologize...still trying to get my bearings around these parts...

Great post on the 'how-to' - viewtopic.php?f=98&t=35702

Didn't realize there was a separate tech portion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:28 am 

WWDiesel wrote:
graycenphil wrote:

The OEM fuel filter on the Jeep CRD is a fuel/water separator type filter with a water sensor in the bottom of the filter! Fuel / water separator type filters are necessary and serves a different purpose than a secondary very low micron fuel filter. At best a new OEM filter starts out at ~20 microns and degrades from there over time. Adding a secondary true 2 or 3 micron filter that will catch anything that the primary filter allows to pass. There are several very good 2-3 micron fuel filters available such as Donaldson, Cat, Baldwin, NAPA, Fleetguard, and some others..

If you change the WIF sensor to a 1/2 x 20 thread (Racor RK #30964) you can use a Donaldson *P550588 filter which is a 11 micron fuel filter/water separator filter on the primary and this will allow the addition of a clear drain bowl on the bottom which allows you to view and observe any water accumulation in the bottom of the bowl...
Donaldson Clear drain bowl / Part No. P569758
Donaldson Clear drain bowl Twist & Drain Valve with 1/2"-20 UNF Threaded Port Sensor / Part No. P550865

If anyone is interested in going to a dual filter setup, I have all the part numbers and some pictures.... :wink:
Link:> http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=80139

Picture of duel fuel filter setup w/clear bowl on primary filter:

Edit, added picture

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:56 am 
LOST Junkie

What about the top load options?

I much prefer changing the fuel filters on my old 6.5 diesels.

Dodge had top load options that others have used as well - Such as GMCTD used

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

I put over 100k on my OEM, original filter that came with the Jeep new. No water, no issues.
the second one now has 40K on it......going for 100k too!

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:11 pm 
LOST Addict

wilco549 wrote:
I put over 100k on my OEM, original filter that came with the Jeep new. No water, no issues.
the second one now has 40K on it......going for 100k too!

Your're a lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky...
...lucky guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just got this done today. Wasn't too bad.

Went ahead and made a youtube video for it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNclI7S_TgE

On my test drive...but dyno said it ran smoother, and better, but...not convinced I 100% fixed the loss of power sensation I've recently felt. We'll know for sure tomorrow on my way home from work. There's a gradual uphill climb after I come off an off ramp and have to merge into traffic.

If that doesn't shake my doubt, is TPM sensor the next logical place to explore?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
Hexus wrote:
Here's my PM Schedule:

Oil - 5000 Miles - Napa Gold 51515 Filter / Rotella T6 5w40
Air - 12000 Miles - Napa Gold 2329
ASD Relay - 12000 Miles
Fuel Filter - 15000 miles - Napa Gold 3647 - Every 3 oil changes, just put a tick on it with a sharpie each change

Hexus, why are you changing asd relay that often? Knock on wood, I never replaced it so far...

I wonder if you can have other issues if the relay blows up. It's not that's expensive or whatever, but I'm just curious.

I had an ASD relay go bad on me, and it fried 2 of my glow plugs as well as my P1 battery (Luckily Sears Warrantied it).

I had another ASD relay go bad and drain my battery, apparently the steel glow plugs are better suited for staying heated until the battery is dead than the ceramics were.

Now I just made it part of my PM cycle, because glow plugs and batteries are much more expensive than an ASD relay every 2-3 oil changes.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:10 pm 

Hexus wrote:
I had an ASD relay go bad on me, and it fried 2 of my glow plugs as well as my P1 battery (Luckily Sears Warrantied it).
I had another ASD relay go bad and drain my battery, apparently the steel glow plugs are better suited for staying heated until the battery is dead than the ceramics were.
Now I just made it part of my PM cycle, because glow plugs and batteries are much more expensive than an ASD relay every 2-3 oil changes.

Very strange indeed! Kind of odd that I have not seen others posting of having this same problem. Do you suppose that there may possibly be another issue that could be overloading or damaging your ASD relays and causing them to go bad? :shock:
Most ASD relays are only rated for 50 amps continuous current draw...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch