It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 jeep crd possible tc problems
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi i had a few questions about torque converter shudder.

I was runing highway at 55mph and i got a shake or shudder. I am not sure if it was the tc or not.

How can i tell if if the torque converter is starting to go bad .

I was also thinking of putting a gde eco tune in would that make my torque converter last longer if it was going bad?
also what is a good choice for a new torque converter. I heard the hemi torque converter will work. Or should I save up and get a suncoast torque converter. Or go a cheaper route and get the euro torque converter

I want something that can tow on occasion and be a good daily driver
thanks

Post subject: Re: 2005 jeep crd possible tc problems
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

well usually we go with easy approach to this problem 1st remove rear drive shaft check u joint at rear diff , input, check and balance tires and check all engine and transmission mounts if they check ok then you go to diagnose your torque converter .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Easy first check. When if "shudders" (vague feeling like you did a bad job of engaging manual clutch) immediately hit over drive button. Does problem immediately stop? If not next time it does it back off on throttle a slight bit. Does problem immediately stop? If yes to either it's TC shudder and can be lived with while you save up for new TC, which is a separate topic, by just carefully driving thru/past it. Shudder usually only occurs under a bit of a load.

If no then see rankom's suggestions.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:23 pm 
LOST Addict

try getting it up to 5th gear usually speedometer reading of 62 mph or so then after shifted drop it back down to about 58 0r59 mph around 1700 to 1750 rpm then engage cruise control. If no vibration here try going up steep grade would help to tow at least a small trailer. Going up the grade should cause the shudder if you have that problem.
The GDE Eco tune should not help the converter last longer but it should not cause it more than stock tune unless you get the full torque version.
Hope this helps.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:08 pm 

Ford diesel wrote:
Hi i had a few questions about torque converter shudder.
I want something that can tow on occasion and be a good daily driver
thanks

If its TC shudder, it will mostly only do it only when TC is in total lockup and in 5th gear going up a hill while under load. As others have advised; if you let off the go pedal when you start to feel the shudder and shudder quits, then it is the TC lockup clutches slipping causing the shudder. If it does not, then you have some other issue!

As to TC's, Suncoast is the absolute best and is bullet proof no matter what you do with it, tow or high HP/torque re-tune. Some on here have reported good results with the Hemi TC with some of the DIY tunes. Not sure how good the Hemi TC does towing, maybe some others on here that have towed with one can answer that? I think the Hemi TC is a better option than the euro which is only slightly better than the OEM TC according to some posters on here. :roll: There are a couple of other companies building and selling beefed up TCs for the Jeep CRDs; just do a search on here for "Torque Converter"...

If you have a laptop computer, there are several DIY tunes available on this forum that you can download and re-flash your ECM yourself at zero cost other than buying a MPPS cable off ebay...
See this thread:>http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update time. :) :D :JEEPIN:

On the way to work this morning i got it to shudder very slightly with the gas pedal on a long steep hill .

On the trip home went on a highway with hills. I was running 55 at 1800rpm on cruise going up a long slight sloping hill. When it started it felt like i was tapping the gas pedal very fast. Took it out of O/D and it stopped imminently.

How should i drive it to keep it from shuddering?

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:14 pm 

Ford diesel wrote:
Update time. :) :D :JEEPIN:

On the way to work this morning i got it to shudder very slightly with the gas pedal on a long steep hill .

On the trip home went on a highway with hills. I was running 55 at 1800rpm on cruise going up a long slight sloping hill. When it started it felt like i was tapping the gas pedal very fast. Took it out of O/D and it stopped imminently.

How should i drive it to keep it from shuddering?

thanks

You definitely got TC shudder! Only way to prevent it is like you did, when you hit hills and it starts to shudder, lock out the overdrive and / or let off the go pedal till you can update your TC to a better TC unit... I would not use cruse control till you update the TC especially on hills, this, will give you total control of the go petal so you can let off of it if you feel shudder starting.... :roll:
You do not want to let it shudder a bunch as this can create other problems with the transmission if you allow it to continue and can get more costly.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:22 pm 
LOST Addict

You can also anticipate the hill and speed up to increase rpm if you don't mind going a little faster often 100 to 200 rpm will prevent it from occurring .

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden