It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dripping fuel while pumping full tank
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:41 am 
LOST Member

Hi all,

Fixing my new/old (120K miles) CRD one thing at a time. After some driving I noticed that when I fill the full tank letting the pump shut off to do its thing, at some pumps (not at every pump, but always at certain pumps) I get fuel drip somewhere around the left rear mudflap - actually quite a few drops, sometimes even a small puddle. There is clearly no fuel around the tank cap, it leaks from somewhere else. No drip anywhere except at the pump. Quite embarrassing and possibly dangerous. Is there some sort of tank overfill line or something? There is clearly no such thing in gasoline tanks, instead there is the whole system with charcoal canister to collect fuel vapors and later burn them in the engine, but this is diesel and the fuel is much less volatile. Not very keen on dropping the tank, but will if this is clear sign of a leaky fill pipe or something.

Any hints greatly appreciated!
Best,
Alex

Post subject: Re: Dripping fuel while pumping full tank
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's not a leaky fill pipe, it's the overflow doing it's job. Some pumps are set to turn off faster than others, some will just keep fueling forever, spraying gallons of fuel on the ground and around your vehicle if you aren't there to watch it.

In this case, there's a small tube that works as an overflow, and fuel is coming out there. You might check your vent, to see if it's clogged, but most likely it's just the angle your parked at, coupled with how much fuel you're putting it.

Nothing to cause concern over.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:01 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Hexus, this is really weird though - guess I need yet to get accustomed to the world of diesels:)
A.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

My jeep did the same thing. On some fillups it was fine other times it would leak fuel, puddles, I dropped the tank because you cant see the top. My problem was the check ball sticking. Its like a ping pong ball in a cage, when the tank is full the fuel pushes the ball up to block the opening, other wise it over fills and drips out about a quart. I think there is a recall on some libertys. I was going to bring it to the dealer dripping and have them guarantee this is safe but after I reinstalled it it never leaked again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:12 pm 
LOST Member

Man, thanks! Too bad, I don't check this forum regularly :( What you describe looks exactly to be an issue and as it turns out Chrysler vehicles are renown for this very problem. Will definitely look into that once I drop the tank to install lift pump. Also here is a possible way to fix the issue using GM filler hose with flapper check valve built in, described here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05-06 ... x-1335243/

Gm part #15131046.

Thanks again!
Alex