It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IN LIMP MODE HELP
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:59 pm 
LOST Member

Hi, I'm in limp mode and have the following codes:

P0700, U0121, P0605, U0002

Is this telling me that I need to replace the TCM?

I get different codes every time I run. I left the battery disconnected last night and I get the P0700 and U0121 today before it was the P0700, P0605. U0002.

I have a CEL and ABS lights on.

No smoke or anything like that. Engine revs fine but no power.

When I first started out after reconnecting and clearing all codes it ran fine until the CEL came on. Then shortly the ABS lights came on.

Thanks for any assist.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

Post subject: Re: IN LIMP MODE HELP
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:08 pm 
LOST Addict

It sure seems like a TCM problem but you also have ABS codes.
So I suspect a wiring fault somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:27 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the wiring even took the connector of the TCM and cleaned it. Normally if it is a wheel sensor you get a code specific to the wheel that is causing the problem.

Is there any cross communication between the ABS and TCM?

John

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:11 am 
LOST Junkie

Common wiring fault on the 2006 CRD is where the wiring loom goes behind the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket.

The mounting bracket can press down on the harness there and cause fraying of wires to chassis.

Remove this bracket and have a good look at the wiring loom there for damage! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:34 am 
LOST Addict

Another person once found a wiring problem where the harness behine the alternator was rubbing against a bracket and shorting out.

The ECM, TCM, and ABS module are all on the same communications bus.
There is another part called the FCM (or gateway module) that directs com signals through the bus. If it goes bad it can cause communication problems.
On a 2005 the FCM is on the drivers side frame rail, just below the battery.
But the 2006 doesnt have that FCM.
So I dont know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

Looks like I have more wire tracing to do. Thanks guys.

I'll let you know if I find something.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

The P0700 is a generic code telling you there is a code stored in the TCM. You need a quality scan tool to read TCM codes.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:51 am 
LOST Newbie

I took it in to have the crankshaft position sensor replaced and when I picked it up it was in limp mode. Took it back to them and when the hooked up the computer, alldata roll them to replace the ECM and TCM. After some fighting and talking to the owner, they truly did troubleshooting and found that it was a bad CPS they just put in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:10 pm 

PunisherKJ88 wrote:
I took it in to have the crankshaft position sensor replaced and when I picked it up it was in limp mode. Took it back to them and when the hooked up the computer, alldata roll them to replace the ECM and TCM. After some fighting and talking to the owner, they truly did troubleshooting and found that it was a bad CPS they just put in.

I assume you got all those crazy codes on your original post after they installed a new CPS that turned out to be faulty?
That's wild, never heard of anyone getting all those codes from a bad CPS; most times a CPS going bad never even trips a DTC... :shock:
Good info to know, and good for you for holding them accountable for installing a bad part and making it good!!! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
PunisherKJ88 wrote:

I assume you got all those crazy codes on your original post after they installed a new CPS that turned out to be faulty?
That's wild, never heard of anyone getting all those codes from a bad CPS; most times a CPS going bad never even trips a DTC... :shock:
Good info to know, and good for you for holding them accountable for installing a bad part and making it good!!! :wink:

Mine started out with the CPS, it stalled and not restarting till the engine cooled down and would only show codes when it happened. Took it right back when it went into limp mode. And they wanted to charge me to replace the two computers. But I did hold them to fixing it and wouldn't back off. Still not happy with them cause they flashed the computer and that changed all the shift points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:31 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the input.

Checked the wiring and could not find anything.

As you can see by my profile I have 2 CRD's. So got a light bulb moment and thought why not swap the TCM from one to the other.

I did it and the TCM is bad. Ran perfect with the wife's TCM. Swapped it back and got all the symptoms back.

So P0700, P0605, U0002 indicate a bad section of RAM in the TCM.

Found a place that repairs them for $175.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:22 am 
LOST Member

tedder wrote:
Found a place that repairs them for $175.

If you choose to go this route please do the community a favor and update the thread with the company you use and the outcome.

I looked into this a couple of years ago when I was having TCM issues but none of the companies that were advertising would repair the CRD version of this TCM. This led me to believe that they are actually swapping for a refurbished unit rather than repairing your unit in house. I ended up with a boneyard module.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:26 pm 
LOST Member

If you choose to go this route please do the community a favor and update the thread with the company you use and the outcome.

I looked into this a couple of years ago when I was having TCM issues but none of the companies that were advertising would repair the CRD version of this TCM. This led me to believe that they are actually swapping for a refurbished unit rather than repairing your unit in house. I ended up with a boneyard module.[/quote]

Sure will let you know they said all models. I think the all the modules look the same for Jeeps with the same insides but have different coding. So I'll find out next week.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:40 am 
LOST Member

I sent my TCM into https://www.elseea.com. They emailed me back with this:

The computer you sent here was unable to be repaired. The damage is too extensive for repair, as the fault was traced back to the main chip, which can not be repaired or replaced. Your refund minus $25 has been issued and takes a few business days to go through, just like any credit card transaction. Please let me know if you have questions.
Thank you.

Even though they could not repair mine the service was great.

Now I ordered one from a junk yard dealer on Ebay for $21.95 that says "tested and works". Should be here Tuesday.

I'll keep you all posted.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:27 pm 
LOST Member

I grabbed a 02 gas Libby trans computer and bracket last March before going to GDE. Cost 45 dollars. It Started out programmed for 4 speed 45 rfe. 5 minutes with them and I plugged it in to test. After a quick test drive in their industrial park we were ready to load the engine tune.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:42 pm 
LOST Member

dennyb wrote:
I grabbed a 02 gas Libby trans computer and bracket last March before going to GDE. Cost 45 dollars. It Started out programmed for 4 speed 45 rfe. 5 minutes with them and I plugged it in to test. After a quick test drive in their industrial park we were ready to load the engine tune.

I got the junk yard in today but still have CAN communication problem U0002. Can Keith tune any Libby TCM?

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:23 pm 
LOST Addict

tedder wrote:
dennyb wrote:

I got the junk yard in today but still have CAN communication problem U0002. Can Keith tune any Libby TCM?

Was the TCM you found from a liberty crd with 545rfe?

This dodge ram hemi tcm will work with the crd. It has slightly different shift points but is not bad once you get used to it.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2003-Dodge-RAM-56029053AD-TCM-TCU-Transmission-Computer-/172370187124?nav=SEARCH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:00 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
tedder wrote:
dennyb wrote:

Was the TCM you found from a liberty crd with 545rfe?

This dodge ram hemi tcm will work with the crd. It has slightly different shift points but is not bad once you get used to it.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2003-Dodge-RAM-56029053AD-TCM-TCU-Transmission-Computer-/172370187124?nav=SEARCH

Yea the gasser didn't but as you said the 56029053AD will and GDE confirmed it. I think I actually bought the one in your link. Had intake hose rotten at the turbo problem so was delayed until I got that in to try the TCM out. As you say it works fine but have not taken it out on the highway yet but will in the morning.

Thanks for all the help.
Thanks to Keith and Matt at GDE for their help too.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 pm 
LOST Member

An update to this topic.

I just got the U0002 code again with ABS, ESP and CEL on trans not shifting past 2nd.

As you can see I put the 56029053AD TCM in last November and it's bad already.

Anyone else have a problem of TCM's going out frequently?

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses