It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F37 TCM Rollback Re-Flash
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:50 pm 

Anyone ever tried or investigated having their CRD TCM re-flashed back to pre F37 recall specs? I spoke with the service manager at the local Dodge Jeep dealership today and he told he thinks they and do it! Good new is, if they can it would be wonderful as the price he quoted is much, much cheaper than going the GDE route. :shock:

But, I am very hesitant to let a dealer touch my Jeep CRD!!!! :roll:
On a positive note, I do now have a spare 05 TCM if needed..

Any thoughts most appreciated from any of you experts on this before I let them try!!! :ALONE:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: F37 TCM Rollback Re-Flash
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:14 pm 
LOST Member

I found one of the pre f37 and gave it to my friend with an 06. It still doesn't hold 5th as low as the GDE eco tune. I can get down to just under 1500 rpm (50mph) before dropping down to 4th.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:32 pm 

bump

Anyone?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
As far as I know about dealer flash tools, they don't get the option to select what file is to be uploaded - it is like when you update an iphone, the computer "calls home" to the corporate servers and looks for authorization / which file is available to use, and they get whatever corporate has made available at that time.

I'd be very surprised if an individual dealership would have the ability to flash an older file to a computer, TCM or otherwise. I know for absolute fact that the Volkswagen dealers have not had that ability for many many years, long before the current troubles. The VW dealer techs don't even get to read the actual code numbers for errors! Corporate has forced them to use the computer with a "guided fault finding" procedure, where their computer interrogates the car, and then tells the tech what to replace - and the computer NEVER thinks that the cheap sensor could be the trouble source, it is ALWAYS the expensive component that the sensor is reading.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I'd stick with GDE. Their results work.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:41 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
RE: Volkswagen

This is true. At the time, it was their attempt to guarantee that if anything went wrong, you had to bring the vehicle to the dealer.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Yeah.... Bring the vehicle to the dealer (with a code for a $15 fuel temperature sensor) and have them tell you that the repair will be a NON-warranty $3500 fuel pump.

For a vehicle that you DROVE TO THEM.

This is why I bought the $200 Vag-Com system, and have great wishes for every vehicle to have that level of computer access for the owner. Anything they can do (and a lot more) from the dealership, I can do in my driveway with Vag-Com.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

ROFL

I bought a VCDS (was vagcom) when I had an Audi. Although I sold that car a couple years ago, I still have the tool and keep thinking about buying another Audi just so I can use it again. It's amazing how good it is, and kinda crazy no other car has such a powerful tool available affordably to the masses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:53 pm 
LOST Addict

dennyb wrote:
I found one of the pre f37 and gave it to my friend with an 06. It still doesn't hold 5th as low as the GDE eco tune. I can get down to just under 1500 rpm (50mph) before dropping down to 4th.

I have both a pre f37 and gde eco and there are some other things they do to it as well, like cleaner downshifts and better to lockup that the pre f37 won't get you.

Either way this transmission is nothing to write home about. It seems very dumb.

Last edited by mass-hole on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:56 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
Yeah.... Bring the vehicle to the dealer (with a code for a $15 fuel temperature sensor) and have them tell you that the repair will be a NON-warranty $3500 fuel pump.

This is why I bought the $200 Vag-Com system, and have great wishes for every vehicle to have that level of computer access for the owner. Anything they can do (and a lot more) from the dealership, I can do in my driveway with Vag-Com.

thesameguy wrote:
ROFL

I bought a VCDS (was vagcom) when I had an Audi. Although I sold that car a couple years ago, I still have the tool and keep thinking about buying another Audi just so I can use it again. It's amazing how good it is, and kinda crazy no other car has such a powerful tool available affordably to the masses.

Have you ever tried vagcom on the Jeep? Just curious if the commonality of the edc16 ecu and iso9141-2 protocol with vw allows any cross functionality.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:07 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
geordi wrote:

thesameguy wrote:
ROFL

Have you ever tried vagcom on the Jeep? Just curious if the commonality of the edc16 ecu and iso9141-2 protocol with vw allows any cross functionality.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yes I have, and no it doesn't. Only works in OBD generic mode.

FYI: That dealer experience with the temp sensor gets even better - after I denied the "repair" and they brought my car back around and didn't charge me anything, I walked inside to the parts counter and spent the $15 on the temp sensor that they insisted could not be installed b/c it was inside the "sealed" fuel injection pump.

The service writer at the time had stated to me that "A possible reason for the sensor failing and causing the fuel pump to fail is the high underhood temperatures caused by the black color of the car."
I don't think he liked it much when I (loudly) responded so the entire service area could hear "Are you actually trying to blame the COLOR OF MY CAR for a mechanical failure and deny warranty coverage??? I think I'd like my vehicle back please."

The next time I went back for something else under the warranty, they demanded $300 from me for their "diagnostic time" from that incident. I questioned why if I had owed them any money, had they given my car back to me AND given me the paperwork showing the "suggested" repair of $3500 and "cust declined repair" on it, with $0 listed due?

The manager responded that my vehicle and my business were no longer welcome at that dealership.

Stealerships, all of them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

to the original question -

I think Suncoast had gotten a copy of the pre F37 TCM and could flash one back to that level

found it
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52537&start=0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:50 pm 

Thanks ATXKJ and others,
I will call SunCoast tomorrow and inquire if they still do this...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just did the "do it yourself" flash available here and F37 was back to stock. Total cost was under $30.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:58 am 
LOST Addict

thefunk wrote:
I just did the "do it yourself" flash available here and F37 was back to stock. Total cost was under $30.

If you are refering to the DIY ECU flashing, that doesnt take care of the TCM programming. F37 was both a ECU and TCM reflash.