It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tell me no!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Winers.... Try to find a diesel that costs below 70Gs and can pull 5000g.

All the research that we all did was plenty worth it.

DIY items that helped make this vehicle an incredible vehicle.

1. Tunes
2. Studs.
3. EGR delete.

Keep the soot out. (I use Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil to get rid of the carbon at rings and liners)

and

Keep the injectors clean. (I use marvel Mystery oil in the fuel to keep the injectors, valves and cylinders clean)

Valves have snapped on some of our Diesels. This has been known to happen on many other vehicles as well, when a vehicl goes past the manufacturer suggested life span of the engine. We want our vehicles to reach hundred of thousands of miles of life.

Keep your engine clean and plan to change the exhaust valves at the second belt change. I believe that stress from soot build up, varnish and excessive heat at those spots will facilitate heat gain and the snapping of valve stems.

A clean engine is what I strive for and MMO will keep it super clean and running smooth.

When Geordi and I met in Fairfield he indicated that my Engine was the softest sounding CRD engine that he had ever heard. I owe this to the cleanliness of the Injectors, head and oil.

MMO is a great product and I pour the quart bottle in the fuel tank at fill up, 6 times a year. http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/mmo/

Above all

1. If you don't have the time to work on it.
2. If you're not capable of doing the work yourself.
3. If you haven't invested in a good set of mechanics tools.
4. If turning a wrench or removing an alternator (for example) scares you.
5. If you don't like working on mechanical issues that eventually come up on any vehicle. Ie. TB, TRans, fluid change.
6. If you don't own a second vehicle that can take the part of a DD while the CRD waits for you to repair it.

This forum makes it easy to work on them.

Then you don't want to own a CRD and if you do own one and don't agree with the items listed above, then you will be an unhappy CRD owner.

It's a diesel that likes to be kept clean and properly maintained to run smooth and quiet, like any other diesel. Diesels tend to get dirty and foul up.

Besides all this it can pay for itself ..... mine runs on 99% biodiesel, vegetable oil. I either make it myself or procure it from http://www.tristatebiodiesel.com...... The engine loves it.

Will the engine last past 200,000 miles or more.... Yes. Fuel quality in the US is unknown... it varies from state to state and pumps, you never know what we're getting and the reason why we need to take preventive measures to offset the fouling of our small diesel engine.

It's a wonderful vehicle... that can be made to ride like a hot italian race car or a beafed up off road vehicle.

If you're an unhappy owner then I suggest you dispatch it to someone who will appreciate it.

Happy Tick Ticking to all.

Post subject: Re: Tell me no!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:11 am 

Very well said sir!
As to the Marvel Mystery Oil, been using it for years in the shop, great stuff!!! After reading your post, I am going to go buy some big cans of MMO and put some in the engine and fuel tank.. Bet it will make the engine sound softer?
How much (oz.) MMO are you adding at each location?

Been using non-syn 2 cycle oil in the fuel at every fill up, cheap and it lubes the CP3 and injectors to help make them last longer. But that MMO is some slick stuff!!!! :shock:
racertracer wrote:
Yes. Fuel quality in the US is unknown... it varies from state to state and pumps, you never know what we're getting and the reason why we need to take preventive measures to offset the fouling of our small diesel engine.

I agree, and that is why anyone owning a Jeep CRD should have a secondary 2 micron fuel filter after the stock OEM filter installed!! It protects the CP3 and especially the the injectors from fine micro particle abrasion that will wear and / or damage injectors... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve