It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Window Regulator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi,

My 06 CRD rear right window regulator finally gave out. What should I replace it with? Is new design from APDTY good? I've read mixed reviews on the APDTY regulator. Any other options out there? I really don't want to mess with it again so I want something reliable. Please advise. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Window Regulator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Both of my rear window regulators have broken and once I took them apart. I realized it wasn't the whole assembly that went out, rather the plastic pieces broke. I've replaced both with a metal piece from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Drivers-Window-Regulator-Replacement-68059647AA/dp/B007TY7PUI/ref=sr_1_15?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1476660962&sr=1-15&keywords=jeep+window+regulator

It simply replaces the broken plastic piece with a metal replacement. 3+ years since and all is well. Read the reviews. lots of info in there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 am 
LOST Member

I'll second that fix from Auto and Art. If you bypass Amazon you can save a bit. I got the full set of 4 for ~$100 a couple of years ago. but I see they're down at $80 now http://www.autoandart.com/02-07-jeep-li ... -metal-kit Both my rears broke and I replaced the fronts at the same time for good measure.

This replaces the plastic lifter that breaks and allows the window to drop but won't help if your motor is dead.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you want American quality and good clear instructions go with http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP13001

Regardless be aware that L/R are different and 05/some 06 are different.

Based on my experience be absolutely sure the clip is fully and evenly (up/down) engage on the regulator ball and run the window up/down say 6 times before putting things back together.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:24 pm 

Not all window regulator mechanism failures are the same; you did not say how or where yours failed.
Most failures happen in one of three areas, 1. motor, 2. gear drive mechanism at motor, 3. plastic window bracket that goes up and down inside metal track

I have had three failures oddly all on the same window! :shock:
All three failures were the gear drive mechanism at the motor that moves the cable inside the plastic tube started to slip or pop when the window reached the fully closed position. The window regulator never did fail completely in any of the instances and could still move the window up and down but made the slipping noise when it got fully closed.
I replaced the first failed unit with a new AutoZone unit; thankfully it has a lifetime warranty! The replacement unit failed within a month and I replaced it with another new unit under warranty. That was over two years ago and it is still working just fine.

If you replace your complete unit, be sure you get the lifetime warranty, that way all it costs you is your time if a failure were to ever occur again.
I can change one in less than 30 minutes start to finish now; a suction cup to hold the window up during the replacement operation is your best friend.... :wink:

papaindigo wrote:
Based on my experience be absolutely sure the clip is fully and evenly (up/down) engage on the regulator ball and run the window up/down say 6 times before putting things back together.

Super advise!!!! That ball & clip is a PITA :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

I bought that APDTY regular from Amazon a couple weeks ago. It's a VERY different design than the factory regulator and I can see how it might be more reliable. The only thing I can say initially is that it is a little louder - nothing you'd notice in a running car, but definitely audible with the car off and the panel removed. Will it last? I dunno, but the super-cheap APDTY combo switch (lights/wipers) for my Suburban still works two years later and saved me a lot ($320 vs. $40, IIRC) so I'd say their products aren't complete crap. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:57 pm 
LOST Member

So before I rush out and order parts, thought I would describe the failure I am seeing and get advise as to the likely cause(s).

Rear driver side window won't move anymore. I can hear the motor whirling when one hits the button to move it, up or down, but no motion. It was closed when this happened, and may have moved 1/4" down, but that was it, and now is stuck there.

I'm assuming that since the motor still makes whirling noises at the appropriate times, its not the motor. But more likely the regulator died, or perhaps the attachment to the window itself came loose.

Any diagnostic thoughts from this info? What do folks think it the most probably cause?

TIA