It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BIG thanks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Long time lurker, finally found a nice 06 limited with 100k on it, original owner, well maintained. I used the search button a lot and thanks to this forum for getting the jeep fixed up with all the new parts necessary to make it a little more reliable. I changed the glow plugs (still had original 7v ceramics) stage 2 egr delete, timing belt kit, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, intercooler hose kit, alternator decoupler pulley, heavy duty fan clutch, upgraded fuel filter/heater. Going to get it chip tuned next week and will in the near future do a euro tc, change the tranny fluid, diff fluid, install trans go kit and new front pump on the tranny. Thanks

Post subject: Re: BIG thanks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:59 pm 

Well you are doing all the right things and on the right track to make it reliable..
A few more very good items to add to your wish list when your pocketbook can stand it!
    Add a Provent CCV filter! You can find info on it on this forum, just do a search for ProVent...
    Silicone Boost hoses like Samcos, Sasquatch parts and IDParts both have them.
    Install an in-tank fuel pump, air infusion in fuel system will be gone forever.
    Install a 2 micron secondary fuel filter between the OEM fuel filter and the CP3 fuel pump. Protects your CP3 injection pump but most importantly protects those expensive injectors!!! Info available on this forum...
    Get rid of that CAT if you are not subjected to visual inspections.
    ARP head studs and replace all rockers.

There are free DIY tunes available on this forum, all you have to do is purchase a MPPS cable off ebay for ~20 bucks and use a laptop computer to reflash...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418
:D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Forgot about the silicone boost hoses, did those also, no visual check on the cat so I guess I can remove that. Has anyone gone with larger diameter exhaust?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would recommend against the chip/cheater tune; might get some power boost at expense of reliability. If the quality GDE tune is to much for you then as WWdiesel there are some helpful DIY tunes. Also don't get rid of the CAT either a) gut it and leave the husk in place or b) if you remove it then keep it in case you sell someday to someone who has visual inspection, been known to happen.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:42 pm 

skatedoktor wrote:
Forgot about the silicone boost hoses, did those also, no visual check on the cat so I guess I can remove that. Has anyone gone with larger diameter exhaust?

Remove the CAT and cut off the mounting choke point and replace it all with the same size tubing leaving the turbo, then install a free flow type muffler like a Flowmaster ore one of the others and reuse OEM tailpipe from muffler outlet to rear of vehicle as it is the correct size.
Note: The CAT mounting flange is smaller than all the rest of the exhaust tubing for some dumb reason, a choke point!
By removing the CAT and choke point and installing a free flowing muffler, it will open up your exhaust flow, lower turbo back pressure which helps to lower exhaust gas temperatures (EGT) leaving the combustion chambers and will help increase quicker turbo response time when it spools up since it does not have to fight with exhaust system backpressure... :wink:
Going to a larger exhaust pipe on this engine will not gain you much since you can only flow so much through the head and turbo.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The restriction on the front of the cat can be removed, but I would suggest leaving the cat in place - the restriction is not sufficient enough on this design to cause any problems, while the results of removing the cat will be a smellier exhaust that will make your eyes burn while standing behind it when it is running.

The reduction in EGT is also irrelevant, the turbo is the restriction that causes / benefits from the EGT, and even so, the EGTs are helped far more by blocking / deleting the EGR which increases the oxygen into the cylinders and also lowers EGT by quite a bit. Even so, the normal highway PRE-TURBO EGT on these at 70mph is somewhere around 650-700 degrees. Nothing serious at all.

Block the EGR and solve the boost leaks, and the results will more than speak for themselves with the power increase.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:35 am 
LOST Newbie

familiar with the egt's, i have a f250 with 7.3 dptuner with 5" exhaust, I'll look into it further

I have already deleted the egr, have not boost leaks, I'm in canada and getting it tuned by chiptuning.ca

He is very good at what he does and has tuned a friends BMW diesel and MB's. He works with Mega-speed out of europe who has a good tune that pushed the hp to 195 and torque to 350 with accomodation for toque at lockup

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:15 am 
LOST Addict

skatedoktor wrote:
familiar with the egt's, i have a f250 with 7.3 dptuner with 5" exhaust, I'll look into it further

I have already deleted the egr, have not boost leaks, I'm in canada and getting it tuned by chiptuning.ca

He is very good at what he does and has tuned a friends BMW diesel and MB's. He works with Mega-speed out of europe who has a good tune that pushed the hp to 195 and torque to 350 with accomodation for toque at lockup

Let us know how that tune works out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:27 am 
LOST Addict

Our engines don't flow enough with their small displacement and low rpm to need bigger exhaust unless you are running a larger turbo with injectors like dieselguy. I did straight pipe mine between the cat and axle, but only for sound.

And, as mentioned, the turbo is more of a restriction anyways. The exducer or the turbine is less than 2" diameter(47mm i think) plus some of that is blocked by the turbine blades and shaft. So if you are flowing from the turbo, even into a 2" pipe, the pipe is likely not the main restriction. I am a believer that our turbines are a major choke point and this will cause high EGT's and poor high rpm performance. If you were too put in a larger turbo then a new exhaust would probably be a good idea, but i dont think any bigger than 2.75" would really be neccesary

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited by mass-hole on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:28 am 

skatedoktor wrote:

I have a slightly different opinion than geordi on the exhaust/EGT issue!
I have a Dodge 2500 w/Cummins diesel and installed a 5" exhaust system turbo to rear bumper along with a 5" straight through performance muffler and it made a huge difference in EGT's and yes I have full complement of AutoMeter gauges including an EGT thermocouple gauge. It dropped the EGT's ~200 degrees during power pulls on long inclines!!! So, I know it can make a difference on a larger engine. The internet is full of testimonials on lowering EGTs by installing larger free flowing exhaust systems on diesels!

With no way to measure the exhaust impact of EGTs on the VM diesel since I do not have an EGT gauge installed, but based on the 6 cyl. diesel EGTs improvements by opening up the exhaust, I would think that opening up the exhaust and making it free flowing along with lowering turbo backpressure would always help lower EGTs! I do know that when I got rid of the CAT and choke point on the Jeep and installed a straight through FlowMaster muffler, it seemed to help with quicker turbo response time and a bit more power...
Probably helps fuel milage to some degree as well!

Nothing to lose, but opportunities to improve...
Sometimes it is not a single one thing that makes a huge difference, but the sum of all the small things done added together on these small diesels that makes for the big improvements...the list gets longer
:ALONE:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:57 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
skatedoktor wrote:

I have a slightly different opinion than geordi on the exhaust/EGT issue!
I have a Dodge 2500 w/Cummins diesel and installed a 5" exhaust system turbo to rear bumper along with a 5" straight through performance muffler and it made a huge difference in EGT's and yes I have full complement of AutoMeter gauges including an EGT thermocouple gauge. It dropped the EGT's ~200 degrees during power pulls on long inclines!!! So, I know it can make a difference on a larger engine. The internet is full of testimonials on lowering EGTs by installing larger free flowing exhaust systems on diesels!

With no way to measure the exhaust impact of EGTs on the VM diesel since I do not have an EGT gauge installed, but based on the 6 cyl. diesel EGTs improvements by opening up the exhaust, I would think that opening up the exhaust and making it free flowing along with lowering turbo backpressure would always help lower EGTs! I do know that when I got rid of the CAT and choke point on the Jeep and installed a straight through FlowMaster muffler, it seemed to help with quicker turbo response time and a bit more power...
Probably helps fuel milage to some degree as well!

Nothing to lose, but opportunities to improve...
Sometimes it is not a single one thing that makes a huge difference, but the sum of all the small things done added together on these small diesels that makes for the big improvements...the list gets longer
:ALONE:

Youre talking about a tuned 5.9L at like 40psi though arnt you? It's >2x the displancement of the jeep motor and way more boost that it was trying to push out a 3" exhaust. I dont think our jeep is suffering from an undersized exhaust the same way the ram is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:29 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
Youre talking about a tuned 5.9L at like 40psi though arnt you? It's >2x the displancement of the jeep motor and way more boost that it was trying to push out a 3" exhaust. I dont think our jeep is suffering from an undersized exhaust the same way the ram is.

True, but it certainly does not hurt performance any and quite possibly may even improve overall performance some IMHO... :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch