It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Group 65 Battery Tray with Webasto Bracket for 05-06 KJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:35 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Many thanks WW! Geordi's ground nightmare reminded me of when I rebuilt a 22re and put the engine ground on the wrong side of the motor mount. The starter would barely turn it over, and I thought I botched a spendy high performance build :cry: luckily I was an electronics tech and I finally noticed that the engine was isolated from ground with my meter :5SHOTS:

Some motor mounts use to come with a built in ground strap that could go bad; ask me how I know!!! :ROTFL:
experience can be a wonderful teacher... :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
The Geordi-ground seems like an ideal candidate for re-location to a less-exposed area. (mods that make sense) Especially if you live in an area with high moisture exposure. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason it HAS to be there below/behind the headlight other than assembly convenience.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I just picked up an Odyssey 950 CCA type 65 battery at batterymart.com with free shipping and no tax here in Utah. I figured go big while im doing it, especially with the trouble these jeeps have in the cold. I had really good luck with an odyssey that was installed in my Polaris Sportsman 700. It was my plow vehicle in the winter and often sat out in the cold for a long time between storms and ALWAYS started.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for the feedback guys!! Glad you're happy campers! :JEEPIN:

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

Got some proper photos up on the web site:

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29 pm 

Picked up a NorthStar group 65 AGM today from my local battery dealer and installed it; one heck of a battery!!! And he gave me a super deal on it to boot!!! :BANANA:
CCA at 0°F = 930 A and a full 4 year no hassle full replacement warranty as well...

Love the metal tray!!! :-)r

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:56 am 
LOST Addict

These brackets look good, too. I am curious how well a Webasto TSL17 fits up in one of these.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:55 pm 
LOST Addict

I have noticed that sears does not have the Dieheard Platinum P1 bought any longer and longer and the selection on AGM Group 34 batteries with over 800 cold cranking amps is nearly nothing unless you look at a specialty store.

This my be in my future soon too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

I am pretty sure SEARS discontinued their AGM Die Hard batteries. In any case, they were just re-branded Odyssey models.

You can get the Odyssey 65-PC1750T for about $250 shipped

- https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00249GW9S/
- http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-65 ... ttery.html

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Has anyone figured out if you can run the webasto with a lift pump? I thought there was some discussion around that being an issue one the jeep is started and the lift pump pressurizes the fuel system, especially the in-tank pumps where you cannot tie into a non-pressurized portion of the line.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Works with or without a lift pump. The Webasto has its own fuel line back to the tank, complete with its own fuel pump.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Finally a nice enough day to install.

1st I do not recommend for gas KJ's due to different battery cables then a CRD and you loose the mounting tab for the EVAP purge solenoid.'03's+ gassers may have a easier install with less wiring than '02's in that area.It's a total no-go for any KJ with the 2.4 gas engine due to loosing the mount for the PS reservoir in addition to the EVAP purge.

Besides that I made it work,will have to come up with a better mount for the EVAP purge solenoid but a zip tie works for now.

I do have alot of electrical accesories so the dual terminal group 34 battery was great but a group 65 does not have a option for dual terminals.I bought some remote terminals and 4g jumper wires to make accessory terminals.Drilled and tapped the battery tray to mount them but should have test fit 1st since the negative battery cable was bundled up with the positive and had to un-bundle parts of the battery cable assembly to make enough slack in the cables and to avoid the remote accessory terminals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for the feedback!

The trays (Batch 3) are fabricated and sandblasted but are unfortunately held up at our powdercoater, so they won't go out until later next week. I am revising my estimate from the 13th to the 20th. If I can get them out sooner I will. Sorry for the inconvenience! Well it's Friday the 13th so I hope this is the worst thing that happened to all of you today. :D

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

Last edited by weeks101 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:42 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Has anyone figured out if you can run the webasto with a lift pump? I thought there was some discussion around that being an issue one the jeep is started and the lift pump pressurizes the fuel system, especially the in-tank pumps where you cannot tie into a non-pressurized portion of the line.

weeks101 wrote:
Works with or without a lift pump. The Webasto has its own fuel line back to the tank, complete with its own fuel pump.

NOOOO!! DO NOT RUN A WEBASTO HEATER ON ANY PRESSURIZED FUEL LINE. IT SPECIFICALLY STATES IN THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS THAT IT IS TO HAVE ITS OWN LINE INTO THE FUEL TANK AND RELIES ON ITS OWN FUEL PUMP TO SEND FUEL AT THE CORRECT PRESSURE TO THE TSL17 COMBUSTION CHAMBER. TAPPING A WEBASTO FUEL SUPPLY LINE INTO A PRESSURIZED LINE - EVEN ONE AT VERY LOW PRESSURES, WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH THE HEATER.

What will likely happen is that fuel will be dumped into the Webasto heater because of the pressurized fuel line you have tapped into, even when it is not running. It is too late in the day to contact Webasto Thermal & Comfort North America to confirm this, but I am certain that you are going to run into big problems tapping into a pressurized line; you may even cause a fire... don't do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm not sure why you quoted me, as we are in agreement. The Webasto unit has it's own pump, fuel line, and pick-up which needs to be routed right to the fuel tank. It should not get its fuel source from a pressurized line. That said, my original statement is correct: when installed properly the Webasto system is fully compatible with the CRD whether or not it has been retrofitted with a lift pump.

For anyone interested, you can download a the Webasto instructions here: http://docdro.id/6SZP8R4 (I ran the German instructions through a PDF translation tool, so the English is a bit rough around the edges.)

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:25 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:

I have a Webasto and a lift pump, the Webasto work with the ignition switch off and the lift pump runs when ignition is on.
the Webasto comes with is own fuel pump and line ( 2mm ) and it's not meant to be feed otherwise !

When it's really cold I run the Webasto for hours..... I don't think it would be a good idea to have the lift pump that probably takes a lot more amps to run that long and would need to be rewired to do the job of a fuel pump that already come with the Webasto.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:22 am 
LOST Addict

weeks101 wrote:
I'm not sure why you quoted me, as we are in agreement. The Webasto unit has it's own pump, fuel line, and pick-up which needs to be routed right to the fuel tank. It should not get its fuel source from a pressurized line. That said, my original statement is correct: when installed properly the Webasto system is fully compatible with the CRD whether or not it has been retrofitted with a lift pump.

For anyone interested, you can download a the Webasto instructions here: http://docdro.id/6SZP8R4 (I ran the German instructions through a PDF translation tool, so the English is a bit rough around the edges.)

Sorry Seth; it appears that I misunderstood you. :oops: I thought you had meant, and I think some others thought you meant, that you can hook up a Webasto TSL17 heater to a fuel line that has a lift pump.

Has anyone put a Webasto heater into your new battery tray yet? About the only thing I am worried about would be the significant heat that radiates from the combustion chamber body. I can't remember if there are specifications that Webasto publishes regarding minimum clearance distances around the Heater. I will try to get the time to read the instructions you posted here tonight, if my computer doesn't crash again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

Batch 3 has shipped! We have 3 black trays left in stock.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

Do you have any left?

Would you be interested in making any out of stainless and no powder coating?

I am ready to order one, but haven't heard back from you

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

We have no plans to offer it in stainless.

Yes we have a few in stock, in black.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next