It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Poor mpg 05 crd
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok so i bought an 05 crd with 60k miles a few months ago for the sole purpose of having a 4wd suv that gets good mpg. I have yet to see over 21 mpg. Its got 4 new injectors (long and expensive story there). The weeks elbow kit, straight pipe from turbo back, clean stock air filter, and a fresh oil change. 2 weeks ago i flashed the ecu with the 808 mild tune that is on the diy ecu flash thread. I just too it for a 54 mile highway trip and stopped to top it off. She took 3.1 gallons to do 54 miles at 60-65 mph under very light throttle. I live at about 2200 feet above sea level and it was 45 degrees out. It was fully warmed up when i filled up before i left. That trip i netted 18 mpg. Now this was also on off road diesel. Ive fun both on and off road and never notice more than a 1mpg difference which could come down to driving stle more than the fuel. Ive read thru alot of threads on here and see people getting far better mpg than this. Whatelse could he causing the poopy mileage?

Post subject: Re: Poor mpg 05 crd
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thoughts:
1. read SirSam's NOOB guide
2. clean MAP sensor
3. replace fuel filter if not new/recent
4. check for dragging front brakes caused by swollen rubber boot cover on sliders.
5. you say "fully warmed up" but where was temp gauge needle. If not just a hair left of dead vertical you OEM thermostat has failed open resulting in a 10-20% mpg hit.
6. stock mpg (e.g. without GDE tune) mpg is ca. 18 in town and 27 hwy BUT your odometer and EVIC mpg can both be wrong. Check odometer against real GPS miles and hand compute fuel consumption. There is absolutely no way you can get an accurate mpg on a 54 mile trip unless you filled up at both ends from the exact same pump and had fuel at the top of the filler neck on both fills.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:15 pm 
LOST Addict

All the above. Plus...

Are you lifted?
Are you using all terrain tires?
I got consistent 26mpg for a long time before I put all terrain tires on. Now I get 23mpg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Thoughts:
2. clean MAP sensor
4. check for dragging front brakes caused by swollen rubber boot cover on sliders.
5. you say "fully warmed up" but where was temp gauge needle. If not just a hair left of dead vertical you OEM thermostat has failed open resulting in a 10-20% mpg hit.
6. stock mpg (e.g. without GDE tune) mpg is ca. 18 in town and 27 hwy BUT your odometer and EVIC mpg can both be wrong. Check odometer against real GPS miles and hand compute fuel consumption. There is absolutely no way you can get an accurate mpg on a 54 mile trip unless you filled up at both ends from the exact same pump and had fuel at the top of the filler neck on both fills.

Brakes are good, map is good. Fuel filter is a possibility. Temp guage is at 1/4 mark not half. Ill be changing it first. I filled up till she came out the overflow at both ends of the trip. I would be with in 1/10 of a gallon at worst.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
All the above. Plus...

Are you lifted?
Are you using all terrain tires?
I got consistent 26mpg for a long time before I put all terrain tires on. Now I get 23mpg.

No lift. Stick size tires but theyre a grippy michelin snow tire. I figured they would eat a couple mpg but im a good 7 or 8 off of where i should be. Im using miles/gallons to figure out no estimated gauge in my jeep.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Bad thermostat. Check your actual engine operating temperatures with an OBDII reader. The O.E. thermostat assembly is set to open up at 176 degrees Fahrenheit; it is set that low because of the NOx emissions standards are ridiculously high in North America. There are solutions available for this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

biggreenjeep wrote:
papaindigo wrote:
Thoughts:
2. clean MAP sensor

Brakes are good, map is good. Fuel filter is a possibility. Temp guage is at 1/4 mark not half. Ill be changing it first. I filled up till she came out the overflow at both ends of the trip. I would be with in 1/10 of a gallon at worst.

My thermostat has allways sat at the 1/4 mark and ive never questioned it...am i wrong about this?

Suncoast Torque Converter
2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Racor 245R122 fuel filter system
Model 001 Thermostat 41603
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:15 am 
LOST Addict

JBDeVega wrote:
biggreenjeep wrote:
papaindigo wrote:
Thoughts:
2. clean MAP sensor

My thermostat has allways sat at the 1/4 mark and ive never questioned it...am i wrong about this?

It should be at just shy of 1/2. Basically, anything from around 170 to around 207 degrees would put it just before the 1/2 mark.

There was some folks who had faulty temp gauge programming that screwed it up. See this thread:

http://www.greendieselengineering.com/jforum/posts/list/19.page

Last edited by mass-hole on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:21 am 
LOST Member

Whats the cheapest option i can get for a replacement because im noticing the thermostat is not carried by alot of the auto stores. Buying on line is not an option for me because i have a cross country road trip in 10 days and mail service is terrible where i am.

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:28 am 
LOST Addict

JBDeVega wrote:
Whats the cheapest option i can get for a replacement because im noticing the thermostat is not carried by alot of the auto stores. Buying on line is not an option for me because i have a cross country road trip in 10 days and mail service is terrible where i am.

You may be able to get a stant in line tstat as a bandaid fix but I wouldn't run it like that forever. I had one for a while but I have since removed it. Should be able to look up what you need on here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:46 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
JBDeVega wrote:

You may be able to get a stant in line tstat as a bandaid fix but I wouldn't run it like that forever. I had one for a while but I have since removed it. Should be able to look up what you need on here.

I looked into that and appearantly the stant 13519 thermostat is not carried by Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or Oriellys (the only auto stores in town). That or the part numbers are different in there system.

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:32 am 
LOST Addict

I just added a $5 piece of coroplast or similar from home depot that fits well between the intercooler and radiator. I drive big grades and have only an electric fan so I trimmed it to have a 2" gap up top, and two hooks about 3" evenly spaced, basically centered. It's works well and would help anyone running the factory thermostat. Without the plastic shroud I can remove it in two seconds. I was overcooling even with a 203 degree stat, but I have no ac parts or fan on the front side of the IC.
If I was you, I'd try 1" holes instead

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:27 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
Thoughts:
2. clean MAP sensor

Hey did u mean 18 on HWY and 27 around town. Sorry just doing the conversion to km/l and it doesn't make sense and I'm interest in the stock performance.

Tia

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I meant what I said 18/27 with higher mpg being on highway; with GDE EcoTune it's more like 23/32. Assuming a good thermostat.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Have they switched to winter diesel in your area? Winter diesel has lower BTUs than summer diesel, and you will see a decrease in MPG. For the record, my 05 gets 24 hwy (summer) when all the stars line up. It has been consistent for 3 years. But hwy for me means 75 mph or I get hard core tailgaters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:28 am 
LOST Member

I get 25.4 MPG average with 65% highway 35% city. I generally drive @ 70mph in the freeway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:26 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
I meant what I said 18/27 with higher mpg being on highway; with GDE EcoTune it's more like 23/32. Assuming a good thermostat.

Thanks mate around town so 5 mins here and there I get 16 mpg and long distances I get 31 mpg. Thats with gde eco tune. OEM thermostat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:01 am 
LOST Member

was your trip relativity flat and were you able to maintain throttle? I get good mileage only on good roads with good consistent throttle. otherwise what you are seeing is about right.

You can rebuild your thermostat if you are handy with tools. viewtopic.php?f=169&t=50940 See the thread on the Kapalczynski rebuild. This is what I'm running with slight mods to use more basic tools/techniques. Don't do the inline!

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:00 pm 
LOST Addict

wilco549 wrote:
was your trip relativity flat and were you able to maintain throttle? I get good mileage only on good roads with good consistent throttle. otherwise what you are seeing is about right.

You can rebuild your thermostat if you are handy with tools. viewtopic.php?f=169&t=50940 See the thread on the Kapalczynski rebuild. This is what I'm running with slight mods to use more basic tools/techniques. Don't do the inline!

If you do not want to spend the money on my product, the next best thing is Mark Kapalczynski's modified O.E. unit. It is not as good as the Model 001; it is not as strong, it has only 1 thermostat valve that is available, and it does not offer extra features. However, it is a bolted together design that will never fail due to a poor weld, and the thermostat valve that is inside is properly matched to the O.E. housing.

I have spare O.E. thermostat cores available, if you like Kap's design. wilco549 is correct... the inline thermostat option is very risky because it fundamentally changes how the cooling system works in a manner never intended by the engineers who designed the R425 and R428 engines.

Best Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:03 am 
LOST Newbie

I know its been a while since i posted in here but i got a new thermostat put in and its running at the proper temp and on the last 2 tanks of fuel which were on road diesel im getting about 18 mpg avg. Thats half hwy and half city driving. Not towin, not romping on it. Gonna change the fuel filter this weekend. Any suggestions on stock fitting 2 micron filters with out going thru the stealership? Changed rear rotors and calipers 2 weeks ago. It doesnt pull or anything so i cant imagine its in the front brakes but im gonna take a closer look this weekend. Man this sucks. My sole purpose of buying this cae was to save money on fuel and its just not working out.