It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter dead? Not making a beep, battery is fine...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys,

My car doesn't start right now; the lights come on and all but you don't hear the starter clicking when turning the key. AAA came and the battery is fine and jump start me didn't work. I had been having battery issues and recently put in a new battery 3 days ago (a size 65 CCA of 850 after reading some recommendations here to go oversize) and used the car twice since then, including yesterday and it was fine.

I wonder if this is just coincidence or if it could be related to the issue somewhat.
Starter doesn't make a sound, although AAA guy said he heard the starter relay make some sound.

I was hoping you could give me cues about things I could check or try doing before I get towed to a mechanic.
On top of that I'm driving through New Orleans right now and I don't know a good mechanic here ! :(

Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Starter dead? Not making a beep, battery is fine...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

Do you have a meter or test light with you? If not, you could pick one up cheap at an auto parts store and test the trigger wire on the starter while someone hits the key for you. See if you are getting power to the trigger. If you are, you may very well have a bad starter. If not, you have a problem upstream........When this happens, have you tried to put the transmission in neutral to see if it will start? If that works, you may have a bad shift switch on the trans.

New Orleans is a loooooong way from Montreal.....in more ways than one!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Didn't bring a meter with me but will go get one right after I finish this post.
To test the trigger only way is to do this is from underneath right? Got under the car a few moment ago and it looks a bit crammed up around the starter and difficult to see where the trigger actually connects but it should be doable. Unless there's an easier way I'm not aware of...

Haha yes NOLA is a long way from Mtl in more ways than one but also we have a shared history as a lot of people from Quebec moved to NO, cajuns, years and years ago, etc. We share the "fleur de lys" as our emblem, etc. Lots of common very quebecois french family names down here.
That's not why I'm here though, I spend my winters in Austin usually and was visiting NOLA.

Please let me know if testing from underneath is the way to go!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:16 pm 
LOST Member

You will likely have to test from underneath as I don't know where else to test for power on the trigger wire other than on the start itself. This will rule out just about all the wiring..........just talked to my transmission guy and he said to try and start it in neutral first. If it works in neutral, the solenoid pack in the transmission will have to be changed as they are known for failure (according to him). He works on a lot of these 545rfe and similar transmissions and has a list of common go-to parts when certain failures arise. But before we condemn any parts, see if it'll start in neutral and if not, see if you are getting power on the trigger wire when cranking.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:28 pm 
LOST Member

Could also be the ignition switch or that plastic rod which connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch. If you aren't getting power to the trigger wire when turning the key, try jumping the starter solenoid and see if that causes the starter to run.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had already tried starting the car on neutral but it didn't work, sorry I forgot to mention !

OK I tested the starter and power reaches to solenoid when ignition is attempted.
Jumping the starter doesn't work either which seems to confirm the starter is dead.

So I got to fish for the part now! Recommendations for affordable good quality starter would be really appreciated ! (Online or in store)
Thanks for your help guys!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:56 pm 
LOST Member

Glad it's just a starter!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks yeah me too!!

Job seems simple enough to do it myself and tried removing the starter earlier using this as a guide. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9edsjzC-csE

I've removed all the screws he mentions in the video holding the starter in place but it just won't budge, it's like it's stuck there. Is it common for starters to be difficult to remove?
Was also thinking our CRD starter could be slightly different than the gas version so video might not appropriate for my situation ?

Happy new year !! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update: upon looking at starter parts for the CRD and 3.7 version they're not the same part, so I guess video from above link does not apply.
Hmm any idea where to find those pictured instructions the shops have access to help me figure out how to remove the starter ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

There are 3 bolts that hold it on. The top one can be kinda difficult to access. I have had luck getting it from the top.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok great thanks, very different than gas version then!
I'll take a look at it in a few.

BTW any starter replacement part recommendations ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

If you can get it out you can test and see if its the solenoid or coils, more likely its the solenoid, and you might be able to find a replacement solenoid locally when you wont be able to find a replacement starter locally.

Another way to test in the vehicle is to jump power on the starter relay, put a small jumper wire in the switched side of the starter relay socket - it will be the larger wiring spades. If it wont turn over there then it confirms what you basically already know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got it out !!! Yesterday it rained all day and couldn't work on the car.
I'm not sure how could anyone access that third screw from the top without removing the engine :P
It was very tricky but I was able to do it from the bottom earlier.

So now it's out and I did try to test if it's solenoid or coils. I saw guys do it by simply wiring positive from battery to contact on starter then creating contact between the ignition and power on starter. I did that but it didn't do anything...
Is this the proper way to test?

Maybe I did it wrong but now I took the starter apart I was curious to see how it looked from the inside :) I may have misplaced a little 1/8" steel ball while doing so ! :roll:

Post subject: Re: Starter dead?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here are some choices for the starter part. Please help me choose !

Rockauto

NEW
    REMY 99623. $117
    POWER SELECT/WPS 17940N. $121

REMANUFACTURED (price below + core)
PURE ENERGY 19432. $86
Remy 17489. $105

Autozone

Duralast/Starter $180 (refurbished)
Part Number: 19432

http://m.autozone.com/batteries-startin ... ?location=

O'Reilly
O'Reilly Ultima - Starter $98 (refurb)
Line: ULT | Part # R612886B
Brand Mitsubishi

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/ ... rd=Starter

Post subject: Re: Starter dead?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:38 pm 

Brody wrote:
Here are some choices for the starter part. Please help me choose !

Rockauto
NEW
    REMY 99623. $117
    POWER SELECT/WPS 17940N. $121
REMANUFACTURED (price below + core)
PURE ENERGY 19432. $86
Remy 17489. $105

Autozone
Duralast/Starter $180 (refurbished)
Part Number: 19432
http://m.autozone.com/batteries-startin ... ?location=

O'Reilly
O'Reilly Ultima - Starter $98 (refurb)
Line: ULT | Part # R612886B
Brand Mitsubishi
This number is for a 3.7 gasser, not a diesel
the correct part number for a diesel is: R612939B $181.99

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/ ... rd=Starter

Over the past few years I have come to liking buying electrical parts from Autozone due to their lifetime no hassle warranty!
And in some cases when I purchased a reman electrical part, it turned out to be a new part in the box....a +++ :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Long overdue update:

So I replaced the starter and everything is working perfectly. I got it at Advance auto parts and with a coupon I got online I got a sweet deal. (googled: Advance auto parts coupon)

For those who may stumble here: the 3rd screw holding the starter is very difficult to access but I got it done doing it from underneath and using long socket and extension.
Look at an image/diagram of the starter to locate where that third screw is.

Thanks everyone for your precious help !