It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA crd intake clogged?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

After I bought a crd but before I knew about this forum I took a 1000 mile round trip with egr enabled. When I came back the car was smoking and oil was leaking from turbo return. I thought the car was toast. I disabled egr by pulling maf sensor. This stopped jeep from smoking. I eventually tuned out the egr. Is there a change my intake is still clogged from running with egr on? I know I can install elbow egr delete weeks elbow. Is this a good idea in california with emission testing? What is best course of action, thanks.

ticking sound

Post subject: Re: CA crd intake clogged?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
How many miles does it have total with the egr enabled? Mine with 140k was blocked to the point I couldn't insert my index finger through without squeezing against the sides. I'm guessing but I would imagine at this rate, even 50k miles would have significant deposits and blockage. If you must have the EGR on, disable it ASAP. Remove the elbow and valve body and clean them at the very least. At your next timing belt change, I'd seriously recommend going all the way to the head gasket, and having the head cleaned and valves done, replacing the exhaust, and rockers, and clean the head cover / cam housing / intake manifold piece in a sonic cleaner or some such method.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:21 am 
LOST Newbie

It had about 100 k with egr. According to previous owner engine was rebulit. I did disable egr. What I'm trying to ask is : The jeep was sending thick black smoke out the tailpipe. I disabled the egr and it stopped smoking. What is the cause of the smoke that went away ? Could the same thing that caused the smoke cause other problems?

ticking sound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:38 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Black smoke is unburnt fuel. The combustion cycle is receiving more fuel than it can burn. This could be because too much fuel is supplied (not likely) or because not enough oxygen is available to burn the fuel (most likely)

There is a whole host of possible reasons why either condition could exist. Without more information it's impossible to accurate select which are applicable.

However, you give a little information about the effect of disconnecting the EGR.

When working properly, the EGR replaces a portion of good clear air, with exhaust, containing very little oxygen, and carrying all the soot normal diesel exhaust contains. This does not "reburn" the exhaust as some people believe, but functions to reduce the amount of oxygen entering the engine with the charge air. The intention of this is to lower combustion temperatures. Whether it's working correctly or not, the reduction of oxygen would contribute directly to unburnt fuel which results in black smoke.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 am 
LOST Addict

Or, the EGR valve was stuck open and allowing boosted intake air to escape out the exhaust.
Thus, not enough air and black smoke.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:49 pm 

No tune can 100% ensure that the EGR valve does not leak by putting gunk building soot into the intake manifold or leaking boost back into the exhaust manifold (rev. flow)!!!
You can make a simple EGR feed tube block off plate to ensure no leakby in either direction! Can be made out of most any lightweight metal such as steel or aluminum, needs to be a little heavier than a beer or soda can though. The metal lid from the bottom or top of a vegetable or soup can will work just fine! Visually for inspections, using an EGR block off plate will keep all parts in place if you cannot get by installing the Weeks elbow kit... :wink:
Simply unbolt the exhaust tube on the EGR valve and slip (sandwich) the blockoff plate between the exhaust tube flange and EGR valve and bolt everything back up...

You can also remove the FCV butterfly plate which renders it useless but still allows it to operate thus not setting DTC's.

see this thread for more info:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76576&hilit

Only sure way to clean out all the gunk out of the intake is to remove it and wash it out with a cleaner or diesel fuel.
When I installed my Weeks elbow kit, I used some brake cleaner on a brush and a rag and tried to get as much as I could out of the intake by reaching up into it with the FCV assembly removed.
Some on this forum have stated that once you totally disable the EGR/FCV crap, over time with the CCV still connected to the intake hose, the oil vapors will clean out the gunk???

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:28 pm 
LOST Addict

What I found when I recently did my rockers and head studs was that besides the elbow and main chamber of the intake manifold, the build up was not that bad. Once you get into the individual runners there was just a super thin coating. I think once the flow breaks off into the individual runners it's going much faster since their cross sections are quite a bit less than the intake elbow

The thing is the main chamber is big enough where I don't think the build up does much assuming it hasn't covered your MAP sensor. If you clean the elbow and entrance to the manifold, I think you will be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can this cause high crank case pressure and turbo return leak?

ticking sound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

carbcoma wrote:
Can this cause high crank case pressure and turbo return leak?

The EGR valve?
No.

As long as your crank case vent is at factory settings (no EHM), then crankcase pressure is not an issue.

The turbo oil drain leak is just a bad seal. Its a common problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did weeks kit stage one and found the reason for black smoke when the egr was enabled. The intake elbow was mostly clear but the exhaust side egr tube was clogged with oily crud.

ticking sound

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:44 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Some on this forum have stated that once you totally disable the EGR/FCV crap, over time with the CCV still connected to the intake hose, the oil vapors will clean out the gunk???

I believe this will help, but I don't think it will really get rid of massive deposits of gunk that are inches thick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 pm 

Sir Sam wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

I believe this will help, but I don't think it will really get rid of massive deposits of gunk that are inches thick.

I agree, the only sure way to get rid of it is to pull the intake/valve cover, soak it, and clean out all the gunk! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve